MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

Last year I bought (after a couple of years of drooling at it) a 2004 Brutale 750S from an acquaintance.Lovely bike, crazy sound and it hooked me.
Since here in Romania there is a single MV dealer, which over time got quite a bad reputation, I decided to take it for a pre-season maintenance at the motorcycle garage where I left it during the winter. I thought a regular maintenance should not be a challenge.
Since it's my first bike and I'm not technically gifted, I took for granted the mechanic's word.
Turns out that the bike has quite a couple of issues. Among others, whe mos troubling were:
  • voltage was measured at 15V which according to the mechanic is very high. Since the bike stopped on some occasions, I assumed that it's an electrical issue.The bike stopped while running, but ran again after starting (after starting the battery warning light appeared and kept blinking). He recommended to buy another voltage regulator. I excluded the ECU issue discussed on the forum since I have the black one mounted. Any tips on what could be the source of the bike stopping?
  • while adjusting the chain tensions, the mechanic said there was an almost 30 mm clearance, which is higly worrying. Accoring to the mechanic there's the risk of the chain falling of the sprocket.The most disturbing issue I discovered is that the eccentric hub was very worn out and the special spanner tool could not be used to adjust the chain. I've done some research on the forum and there are 2 versions of this part. Any ideas which one should I look out for and where can I find one? Looked on ebay, but found mostly parts for newer models.
Any tips and pointers will be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Alex

·
Vendor
5,221 Posts
Pretty sure the voltage regulator is inbuilt in the alternator.
Others can clarify this.

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Administrator
19,129 Posts
Welcome to the family !!! Please add your location to your profile information. Post a photo of your beauty !! We love photos.

750 Brutale is a great bike when properly set up and maintained. 30 mm chain slack is not excessive. The chain will get more tight when your weight is added. Follow the manual for distance from bottom of chain guard on swing arm to center of link pin for proper chain adjustment.....while on the rear wheel stand !!
The early hubs are subject to bearing damage when pinch bolts are overly tightened or chain is run too tight....or water gets inside. Mitchy makes a near bullet proof improved hub, worth every penny. Otherwise, get the newer designs from MV or other suppliers.....OR get the original and replace the bearings (Noel, "the Knurl" can help).
The charging system output is near 15 volts normally. Your stall may have nothing to do with that....however, a failing battery can. A failing battery can also cause regulator output anomalies. Check you have a good battery and then check all your battery cables and starter relay connector for corrosion or excess resistance.
Get the manuals for your bike from Donsy's web site (and tell Dons "thank you").

·
Registered
14,316 Posts
xndhhs;
No point in buying a new hub unless the hub is destroyed
If there's no aluminum chips on the wheel you should be OK
1st mark the heads of the pinch bolts with a marker....
Now loosen them and retorque them to 20 Nm
Do the marks align? How much are they off? They were probably too tight
Block the back of the bike up ( tie an overhead safety rope so the bike can't fall over)
Remove the wheel, rear caliper and loosen the chain and lift it off the sprocket
Now CAREFULLY turn the axle and feel for any roughness
Any roughness and you will need to remove the hub to check it
you will need 2.4mm snap ring pliers to remove it
If the inner race is all rusted or has blue heat streaks you will need a new 3810-2RS bearing
Removing the Seeger ring is a PITA, remove the needle bearing inner race and the alloy spacer, then the bearing.....be careful removing the spacer the edges are sharp and can cut the seals. deburr before assembly
I can have one at your door for $52 including shipping
_

·
Registered
5,826 Posts
I have a hub should you need one. Pretty sure it wil be what you need since it is off my 09 F4. The bearings were changed a while back so it should be ok

1 - 8 of 8 Posts