MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone shed any light on this - with the sidestand UP, clutch lever IN and bike in NEUTRAL, the starter relay gives a reassuring click when you press the button, but the starter motor does nothing at all. Nada. Zilcho.

I can bump-start the bike, but that's tedious every time. Makes no difference whether the engine is hot or cold. Both fuses on top of the solenoid are good, and the battery is new/fully charged.

Don't think it's related but the neutral indicator light also fails to show - even though the bulb is good and the gearbox is clearly selecting neutral. Is there some sort of lockout on the idiot light circuit? Any help much appreciated. :bash:

·
Super Moderator
22,066 Posts
That neutral light is what tells the bike you are not in gear. I'd check the neutral switch and the clutch switch for functionality. I wouldn't expect to get any stater solenoid click if the circuit won't allow start.

Another thing to check is your wiring for good solid groung connections and no corrosion on the positive lead.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
Sounds like the neutral switch is faulty. If the bike is definitely in neutral but the light is not illuminated, I would change the switch.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
If the bike wasn't sensing that it was in neutral, why would the solenoid even click, though? The bike should still start with the sidestand up and in gear while pulling in the clutch. Definitely change the switch, but I don't think that's it... I know it sounds weird, but after you try to start it a few times, feel the positive wire coming off the battery. Is it hot to the touch?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Low battery I recon, or at least worth a look at.
Then wouldn't it click a lot? Both my 750 and my 312 clicked like crazy when the battery was low.

Also, he said his batter is good.. :/

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
My 750 would start in gear if the stand was up and the clutch pulled in. If you are hearing the click then either your battery is fubar or the starter motor, or something that connects them....

·
Registered
9,954 Posts
Before doing surgery on the bike it is logical to follow Donsy's advice and fully check out the battery.

I used to supply transit packaging to Yuasa Batteries. They had a large compound for Batteries returned due to manufacturer's defects.

There is something in human nature which I suffer from as much as the next bloke, and that is a tendency to over complicate faults and "diagnose" something far more complex than the actual issue.

Check your battery polarity, connections clean and tight, and then load test the battery properly.

Joe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay chaps, thanks for all that. Did the obvious last evening - took the bike to bits again, rebuilt all electrical connections, fitted yet another battery, reassembled. Then just for the hell of it I cleaned and polished the bike before trying to start it again. Clutch in, neutral selected and kill switch flipped to RUN. Click, whizz, rumble. It works. Time for a beer.

Reckon it was the polish that fixed it. Thanks for all comments.

·
Super Moderator
22,066 Posts
You must have used GLARE!:smoking:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts