MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you guys could tell me what the power is like in both the SPR and a F4R. I have had a 600 and a 1000. The 600 did not have enough power and my 1000 had to much for the road. I was looking into the SPR but was told that the power was pretty flat and peaky. Is this true? What is the power like with the F4R.Please help guide me in the right direction. :)

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
Well, I've never had a SPR but did have a '00 and '02 750 and have a F4S now. The difference between the 750 and 1000 is huge. The 1000S has a much broader torque curve than the 750 which never woke up until 6,000 rpm. I would say the F4S has the low end kick like a '02 R1.

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My friend had an 03 R1 I think thats the same engine. I liked it way more than my 05 R1 because the 05's power did not hit until 5 or 6 grand. horrible coming out of slower corners.

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want a Mamba Or a Corse bike, do you purchase a kit along with your bike or just buy the bike?

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
B.Harris said:
My friend had an 03 R1 I think thats the same engine. I liked it way more than my 05 R1 because the 05's power did not hit until 5 or 6 grand. horrible coming out of slower corners.
Great, you ridden bikes I can relate to. :D The torque curve of the F41000S is like the 2003 R1 but the top end is like the '05 R1. The "personality" of the F4 750 is like the '05 R1. Before the F41000S came out in 2005, I always thought the '04 R1's engine would be what a 1000cc MV would be like if MV made a liter bike. Fortunately, it's not. :f4:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
For road use the 1000 is by far the better bike, if I did track days I would think the 750 may be the better bike for the majority of us, the problem with the 750 is a lack of midrange, the 1000 is so easy to ride if your not in full attack mode.

I have never heard of anyone who has traded from the 750 to the 1000 say they have made a mistake, by and large the people who say 'the 750 has got more than I can use' have never ridden the 1000 :)

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
mikef4uk said:
For road use the 1000 is by far the better bike, if I did track days I would think the 750 may be the better bike for the majority of us, the problem with the 750 is a lack of midrange, the 1000 is so easy to ride if your not in full attack mode.

I have never heard of anyone who has traded from the 750 to the 1000 say they have made a mistake, by and large the people who say 'the 750 has got more than I can use' have never ridden the 1000 :)
Ditto...I gotta stop agreeing with you Mike...people may think im stalking you :)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that the MV has a single butterfly which causes an on off throttle especially when not properly tuned. I'm used it and happy to put up with it but if you were unhappy with your 05 R1 you may just want to test ride the MV before you buy. The R is apparently a little better than the S and the 312 better again but I don't see them being as smooth as a bike with dual butterflies....

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Rockethouse said:
One thing to keep in mind is that the MV has a single butterfly which causes an on off throttle especially when not properly tuned. I'm used it and happy to put up with it but if you were unhappy with your 05 R1 you may just want to test ride the MV before you buy. The R is apparently a little better than the S and the 312 better again but I don't see them being as smooth as a bike with dual butterflies....
Thats very true, I swapped bikes with my mate last week, he has a 1000S, I was quite surprised by the throttle, my 1000R is a lot easier/smoother to re-open midcorner than his was :)

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I think you just gotta get used to the throttle. Jumping immediately back and forth between a ninja 6r and a Senna it takes me a bit getting used to the throttle. The 6r is turbine smooth and the throttle has a lot less resistance...the Senna has a lot more resistance...I have not done the spring mod, I kinda like it that way.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
suryad said:
I think you just gotta get used to the throttle. Jumping immediately back and forth between a ninja 6r and a Senna it takes me a bit getting used to the throttle. The 6r is turbine smooth and the throttle has a lot less resistance...the Senna has a lot more resistance...I have not done the spring mod, I kinda like it that way.
+1 Suryad,I cant imagine no spring,the thing would flip you right off the back!

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
suryad said:
Yes, you can get use to it. I needed change my 1098's throttle adjustments to zero free play to feel at home on that bike. :D

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
the 750 allows me to do everything i enjoy about sportsbikes. ringing the motors neck, hearing the rpms scream, switching of gears, etc. and i ride way too fast on the street at times. a 1000 would be nice, but i'm having alot of fun on my 750. honestly, the only time i consider having one is for the updated electronics and new black/pearl paint on the 312R, and when there's a looong straight where litre power rules. outside of that, i'm pretty content.

before i switch to 1000, i'll at least try different sprockets to see if i get that 'new' feeling again....unless a great deal comes up. ;)

(disclaimer: above statements are made from the perspective of not yet riding a 1000S, R, 312R, etc...nor being left in the dust by either, so i may be a little skewed.)

·
Banned
203 Posts
I agree with Style.
I've ridden both the F41000S and the Gixxer 750. I think the 750 would make a better streetbike in my opinion (not sure about MV 750 but I will assume the motor is at least equal in HP). The 1000, IMHO, is WAY too much power for the street. You cant even break in the motor properly until you have taken the bike to the racetrack.
The only time I wish I had a 1000 is whenever I take a passenger along for the ride. Thats the only time. Other then that you wont be missing the additional 250 cc's unless you are a frequent club racer, and even then, unless you meet your match, you can beat other riders that have displacement advantages over you strictly based on your riding skill and being able to maximize your bikes potential compared to other riders who dont.
The 750 will give you more opportunity to maximize your bikes potential on the street as opposed to the 1000 which will feel like it never broke out of its shell.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
lol thats a funny post style_one. To be honest. I would agree with you. I think if there was a 750 Senna I would have gotten that one over the 1000 Senna cause the 1000 is just a monster for me and I dont get to ride that often cause I am out of town almost 90% of the year!

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Wow guys thats alot of great opinions.:) I'm leaning more for the 1000 because I will most likely be tracking it quite a bit... on the street the low end sounds nice. I don't want to be reving the heck out of it all the time.
Suryad I just saw a Senna 750 go for around 14000 on ebay a couple of days ago.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
B.Harris said:
Wow guys thats alot of great opinions.:) I'm leaning more for the 1000 because I will most likely be tracking it quite a bit... on the street the low end sounds nice. I don't want to be reving the heck out of it all the time.
Suryad I just saw a Senna 750 go for around 14000 on ebay a couple of days ago.
Wow that is a good price! For some mental barrier I really try not to get any sort of machinery purchase over Ebay...just does not feel safe to me...I am sure it is just my prejudice but god I love those red wheels on the 750 Senna. I am honestly considering painting mine similar to that.

1 - 20 of 96 Posts