MV Agusta Forum banner

750 Clutch Cable Length

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  Dorian 
#1 ·
Hi Guys.

Trying to establish the exact outer clutch cable length for a 750. America and Sport are the same length btw.

Need to get a batch made and not 100% sure our pattern is correct.

Thanks for any help.

All the best.

Dorian
MV Club UK

#2 · (Edited)
Hi Dorian

I'm still needing a replacement cable myself, since the pull on my bike's clutch lever has become a bit 'graunchy' recently. (Venhill haven't answered my e-mails from before Xmas for some reason!) I'm snowed under with work at the moment, but if I get the chance any time soon I'll strip it down and do some measurements.

Steve

Update:

Wahey! Managed to rearrange a few things! Just stripped mine off the bike Dorian, and here are the measurements I've taken:

Outer cable length (inc. metal ferrules on the end) ~ 1080mm (42.5")
Inner cable length (excluding nipples) ~ 1225mm (48.25")

I've got the cable here with me now Dorian, so just ask if you need any sizes confirming. (..and could you earmark one of the new cables for me when they arrive? I'd be much obliged).

Cheers
Steve

#3 ·
Hi Steve.

Thanks for that, most helpful.

Of course i will put one aside for you, infact i already have you on my list as one of the folk who i was unable to supply one to recently.

As you have so kindly removed your cable to help, can i just ask another dimension.

I assume you have the large 9.5/10mm nipple at the lever end?

The engine end should not have a nipple as per MV design. They used a solderless nipple from the factory but over the years people have fitted cables with soldered on nipples at both ends.

I have lost count of the numbers of cable i have sent out, only to be told 'it don't fit, it ain't got a nipple at one end'!

Ours will be to the original MV design.

Thanks again.

Dorian.

#5 ·
Thanks again Steve.

I see someone has soldered an end to your cable.

When i mean a solderless nipple....i mean a completly solderless nipple!! ie; the Italians used a barell with a screw in the side to hold the cable and then looped the surplus back on itself.....on one of the worlds most expensive and exotic bikes! Crazy i know, but true.

The club ones will be as per factory, so you can either do the same or get a barell soldered on yourself. This way it pleases everyone, the originality buffs and those that don't trust the original method.

Thanks again.

Dorian.

#7 ·
Yes indeed. The free end is a bit of a joke on some bikes i have seen. The Italians seem to like a huge amount of cable that they bend back on itself and hold with there favourite red tape! Even the works bikes are like this!

On the chain drive bikes it's not a problem but under the cover of the standard machines you have to be a bit careful. I suppose too much is better than too little as you can always just cut off the excess.

Cheer, Dorian.

#8 ·
Hi Dorian

Have you an estimated date on when the club might have this batch of cables? I'm just not sure whether to re-assemble my bike with the original and keep the new one as a spare, or maybe wait until the new cables are available and fit that before I re-assemble.

Cheers
Steve

#9 ·
Sorry Steve, no time soon. I am literaly drowning in a sea of MV Club stuff. Would you beleive up to 60 hours some weeks and this is not my paid job!

I know it's just a case of getting the order arranged but there are only so many hours in a day.

Anyone want to take over the MV Classic Spares:rolleyes:

Dorian.

#10 ·
No prob., Dorian. Original cable's good enough to go back on.

I've discovered the Guzzi 1100 Sport has a cable very much like the 750s: it's a bit longer, but the difference between its inner and its outer cable is approx. the same as the difference between those on the MV. If I could 'lose' a little of its extra length beneath the tank, I think it might just do the job - so long as the threads on its lower end are of the same pitch. Nipples look the same.

60 hrs unpaid per week? :jsm: Scary! (..you'll get your reward in heaven. :laughing: )

Cheers
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.