MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi People

Bought a 2003 Brutale last year and very happy with it up to now.

Mint condition, very well looked after one owner machine, with stacks of history.

However ever since i have had it, it has had a tendency to run rough at low revs and sometimes stalls at traffic lights, but not a problem, always fires up first push of the starter.

This is not all the time and seems to run fine at higher revs and sometimes runs absolutely spot on (did my first 100 mile ride on it last week since lockdown and was running absolutely beautifully)

Have run Seafoam fully system cleaner through it and this seemed to cure everything for a little while.

However recently has started very occasionally to have a very violent backfire, running on 2 or 3 cylinders and very jerky.

Ive alway but it down to quirky Italian fuel injection, which MV are known for.

However two days ago it went into a violent misfire and i had to pull over it was that bad, left it for a few minutes whilst i had a fag and it started off fine again ???

However few miles down the road went into a violent misfire again and completely died altogether, now wouldn't start and i had to get recovery to fetch the vehicle.

Any ideas ? or is it just go through the normal, fuel lines, fuel filter and maybe coils to start with ?

Also are the coil packs from the 750 F4 the same on the Brutale 750 ?

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
The injectors are good injectors, the sequence is quirky.

Usually, fuel delivery does not cause misfire. It simply causes a lack of power....or the bike dies and won't restart.

I would be looking at electrical signals to your spark plugs. SPU, ECU, Coils...

It looks like, from the parts manuals, that the B4 750 used stick coils whereas the F4 750 used coil packs.

The B4 750 coil part number is: 8000A0711

·
Registered
478 Posts
the 750 uses champion coil sticks same as 910s could be one of them at fault on maybe 2 . in the third sentence you say she ran rough and staled at lights
that suggests it neds a tune up .

·
Administrator
19,861 Posts
Welcome to the family !!! Notice you joined January 2019, but only started posting today. How about an introductory post in the "New Members" section ??

Sounds like you may have a failing coil, but at this age...if it hasn't been done already...you really should renew the fuel lines and filter in the tank. Don't discount simple fouled plugs too !!!

Yep, sounds like you need a bit of a tune-up. You might also talk to Merc07 about a chip to improve your fueling and ignition.

·
Registered
186 Posts
You mentioned seafoam treatment seemed to sort the problem for a while, I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump on the way out, intermittent fuel supply can cause misfiring. Fuel pumps typically become noisy when they're beginning to fail, so have a listen to it when you next cold start, without your helmet on. The symptoms also can indicate ignition issues too though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts