MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I know we have discussed this a bit but there is no official response. I tried to contact MV through their website but it wont submit the technical question. Is the 600 mile valve check mandatory according to MV or optional?

·
Registered
579 Posts
To be honest RobP, I was asking the same question (not to too much avail) :stickpoke .
It is not that everyone on this board hasent been helpful (they even schooled me on how to pour a glass of water :highclap: ), but no one wants to give another member of our brotherhood potentially false information :stickpoke .
Except me :smoking: (I like to step out, and maybe if I say something it will either promt correction or compliments. Both accepted)
Some of you may remeber that I was asking if we could use any mechanic for our initial. I think the final thought (in mine and a few other heads) was as long as the servicing was complied with correctly, tuto bene.
So when I took my MV to him and he quoted me a price, I kept thinking "thats to low" I asked him if he would be doing my valves. He checked my miles, turned the bike on and listened, then he responded "there is no need, everything is perfect".
Now dont get me wrong, if a normal mechanic had done that, I would have told him I will be right back and he would never see me again :f4: , but this guy had viable credentials (backed up by his history, the type of bikes he sells, and the fact when I pulled in he was already working on two other MV's and a track Duc.
And I liked the fact he keeps all of his special tools in a clean glass case but they are not for show as you can see they are used.
Anyway, for my own sake I did some research here and saw that roughly 2 out of 20 of the people who have checked thier valves said they had problems with a out of adjustment. But they said it was noticable from when they first started putting miles on her {rare factory error}.
But everyone else said there was no adjustment needed (heck there is a guy on here with 5000 miles and did his check and said not a thing has moved :jsm: ).
So, to double check, I went to the manual. In the regular servicing of the 1000R (now let me finish guys :stopp: ), It does not state that there needs to be a valve check/adjustment at the 600mi/1000km mark. BUT! It doues state further in the manual that to meet emmisions regulations, the valves must be check and adjusted if neccesary at 600mi./1000km.
I think this is where the confusion is coming in. MV needs to tell us if we do not do the emmisions compliance, is that a warranty buster? :confused: ?
My mechanic outright told me there was no need to expend the extra money right now and I should save it for my second servicing (which actually shows that a valve check/adjustment is required {on the normal maitenece table, not the emission one}).
(Wait. What was that?? A mechanic telling you to hold on to your money :jsm: ?!?!?)
Anyway, until MV gives the definitive, I am with Sanson's decision to wait.
2c. :yo:

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
As i have said before, mine were way out, set wrong from new, 3X's version is they don't seem to mind whether the valves are adjusted or not, my gut feeling is if they are checked and adjusted at 600 mile (better at 1000miles I would suggest) they will not need adjusting at 6000miles.

I'm sorry I really have to disagree with you on the "Technician listened to the bike and said they are fine" unless they are either very tight, or very loose I'm not having that one at all.

As for the "2 out of 20 need adjustment", I have heard from well recognised MV centres that "we only half do them" these days--I don't know what that means? just do the inlets? maybe just the exhausts? or maybe just half of each?
2 out of 20 is 10%, that could mean 1 in ten of us will have valve or cam problems due to incorrect settings, if the clearance is "tight" the cam will not get the required cooling from the oil or the lubrication either :ahhh:

My opinion is to check them, maybe more just in case, or just for peace of mind :)

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mike, it not so much having them checked, but having them checked and documented by the dealer in case something comes up in the future. What is most convenient to me is to do the maintenance myself, I know my way around a bike. But if something fails I don't want to get left holding the bill when it should have been a waranty issue.

I should also state that my local dealer is fairly new to the MV brand. Last time I checked their mechanics hadn't been trained by MV yet. I don't feel like being the Guinea Pig and having my bike being a learning experience. The dealer I purchased my bike from is a couple of hours away in a major city and the traffic hassles etc make it much more inconvinient to go there.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
1000R Maint Manual 8000A9726 ed1 states to check valves at 1000km/600mi and then every 12000km/7200mi thereafter. In other parts of the world following these to the letter seems mandatory for preserving your warranty. This doesn't seem the case in the US so far.

Considering what Mike found I'd have the shop do the service minus valves then check them myself. If you find them out and are uncomfortable you can always take it in already prepped and have them adjust. That being said, referencing Tree's post above, there have been plenty of bikes with very high mileage and no adjustment ever needed.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
If the manual says it's manditory (I don't have mind with me), MV would have a good reason not to provide warranty coverage if a related issue popped up in the future.

Even if the dealer's new, as long as they're factory authorized to work on MV, that would put the responsibility on them if something should happen laster on.

On the plus side, just eyeballing the comments, the odds of your valves being in spec are pretty good. That should make it even easier for the MV dealer. :)

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Even if the dealer's new, as long as they're factory authorized to work on MV
Is that even necessary? I believe in Europe at least so long as the mechanic or the establishment is suitably qualified and certificated anyone can do a service and has to be recognised as valid by a guaranteeing company.

Si

·
Registered
417 Posts
i have said several times before,i had my first service on my 910R,i paid the full price £462 FOR A FIRST SERVICE,when i found out that the valve check is done by compressin check alone and no feelers ,iwas not happy chapy,i was told this was cheaper than a check with feelers anyway,i think they all assume the valves will be ok,i understand that very very few are out,but if its your bike thats out you would be pissed

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
TheCatWhisperer said:
Is that even necessary? I believe in Europe at least so long as the mechanic or the establishment is suitably qualified and certificated anyone can do a service and has to be recognised as valid by a guaranteeing company.

Si
Yes, but we're a very litigation happy country here. ;) So to protect themselves, I'm 99.99% sure the only qualified mechanic in Cagiva USA's eyes would be their authorize service department.

As a person example, in 2001, I bought a used MV from a Ducati dealer (non-MV dealer). The sidestand broke and that non-MV dealer did the repairs and was initially told by Cagiva USA that it would be covered under warranty. Hence, my bike was fixed and I drove it away. A few months later, I stopped by that dealership and the owner told me Cagiva did not honor the warranty as they weren't an authorized dealer. That non-MV dealer ended up eating the repair costs. Keep in mind this was in early 2001 (MV had only be out in the States for a year) and there were not as many dealers and there are now -and the warranty claim was still denied (which is probably a reason why this Ducati dealer never carried MV).

Basically, if you give a dealer or manufacturer an opportunity to get out of fixing something at their cost, they may just take it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts