MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I just turned 600 miles on my 02F4S. Pondering the cost I began to wonder...How important is it? I know the oil needs changing but, do the valves really need to be checked? All the bolts on the bike haven't moved a single mm. The chain tension seems right on par. I cant get in for 2 weeks for the service!!!!! What the heck am I to do...not ride the bike for 2 weeks!!!! Thats not going to happen!!! What to do? Can I ride it?!!!!! help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :bawling: :bawling: :bawling:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
I had exactly 1000 miles on the clock when mine got done, dealer said no problem with that. Not a big deal, just stay within break-in limits till you can get it in.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fazer6 said:
I had exactly 1000 miles on the clock when mine got done, dealer said no problem with that. Not a big deal, just stay within break-in limits till you can get it in.
break in limits??????? :stir:

·
Registered
583 Posts
this might sound bad to some but two of my friends worked at the dealership where i got mine and said not to worry so i did it myself got the filter from them and oil and did the change myself. then i checked al my fluids and topped them off tightened the chain. the tool kit made that easy as hell. Now i got 2000miles on mine and shes doing great. i have had it since the very end of june and have had no worries.

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
NOMOEVO said:
break in limits??????? :stir:
You know, no full throttle, cool down time, etc; What you've (presumably) been doing for the last couple hundred miles.

There's a lot more to it than just the fliuds and the chain--I definitley think it should be done by a qualified mechanic, and if it's still under warranty, by a dealer, in case anything is wrong.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jcctx said:
this might sound bad to some but two of my friends worked at the dealership where i got mine and said not to worry so i did it myself got the filter from them and oil and did the change myself. then i checked al my fluids and topped them off tightened the chain. the tool kit made that easy as hell. Now i got 2000miles on mine and shes doing great. i have had it since the very end of june and have had no worries.
hmm....doesnt sound bad to me!!!I wonder if the service is of importance to begin with/!

·
Registered
583 Posts
my friend said they have never had to do any adjustment to any valves and beside if it went bad i would know from the loud clicking noise they tole me just to look everythng over really good and change the oil. i used the oil the owners manuel says and topped off the radiator and checked everything and the bike runs great.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi
All services are important! and should be done by someone with knowlage of engineering. Flexibility on milage is ok but don't leave it to long and certainly don't thrash it. As for the valve clearances like you say a trained ear can tell. I have just given mine it's first service and they were Ok, But i did find some loose bolts and it needed the throttle body adjusting(balanceing) just fussy me.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Is this a first service?, In Australia it basically says if you don't get the service before the alotted Kms (miles), the warranty is void..... :flat: And i think it also has to be a MV Approved service centre .... Maybe this is different around the world. ...?

After my first service I must say the motor was more balanced. I even now notice the engine braking letting off (you know the where the valves release) whereas before I coouldn't tell.

So they must have either done the valves or balanced something (like when my old bike had carbs balanced). But it was quite a difference.

By the way the runnin in my book says:
< 9K revs, in the first 1000KMs
< 11K revs, between the next services
:)

regards

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Talk to your dealer, most reckon the 600 service should be a minimum mileage, mine had 1000miles on it, they also agreed and said they had never had to adjust valves at this service, but I serviced mine myself when I got it back anyway, I found.

1/ spark plugs loose.
2/ one of the air box to injection seals half stuck in the air box.
3/ plug caps not clicked on correctly.
4/ chain way too tight.
5/ rear chain adjustment overtorqued.

we now have an agrement, I do it myself, he stamps the book!!!!!! much better idea.

·
Registered
281 Posts
mikef4uk said:
we now have an agrement, I do it myself, he stamps the book!!!!!! much better idea.
This brings up another question: are the stamps expected by MV? My dealer did not complete the intitial delivery and first service coupons - told me that they have it all in the computer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I think it best to have the first service done by a dealer....this makes any future warranty claims still valid....then do all the recommended service and maintanence yourself, and document it too....

In theory you could most likely even do the first service yourself too...but, it shows good faith and MV would/will look positively at you if you have later warranty issues if at least the initial service is done by the dealer ....this is what I do. This was recommended to me by a lawyer friend who says that it helps cover you if your bikes has any problems later.

Also...the majority of the break in is done in the initial riding/running of the bike...also any problems can be nipped at the bud and fixed early on and not go missed leading to bigger issues later....

If you are a very knowedge-able mechanic the do what ever....I do think that you should at least check the valves and adjust as needed....also get a service manual, and do the full service by the book....you will/can learn alot about your bike this way....also keep records...

When it comes time to sell the bike, you may have more trouble selling it if there is no dealer service done.....

just some things to think about....

I know its a pain in the ass to check the valves and all that other stuff....But how much do you want to keep your MV in good order????....if you value the bike, you should treat it as such....

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
daotoys1 said:
I think it best to have the first service done by a dealer....this makes any future warranty claims still valid....then do all the recommended service and maintanence yourself, and document it too....

In theory you could most likely even do the first service yourself too...but, it shows good faith and MV would/will look positively at you if you have later warranty issues if at least the initial service is done by the dealer ....this is what I do. This was recommended to me by a lawyer friend who says that it helps cover you if your bikes has any problems later.

Also...the majority of the break in is done in the initial riding/running of the bike...also any problems can be nipped at the bud and fixed early on and not go missed leading to bigger issues later....

If you are a very knowedge-able mechanic the do what ever....I do think that you should at least check the valves and adjust as needed....also get a service manual, and do the full service by the book....you will/can learn alot about your bike this way....also keep records...

When it comes time to sell the bike, you may have more trouble selling it if there is no dealer service done.....

just some things to think about....

I know its a pain in the ass to check the valves and all that other stuff....But how much do you want to keep your MV in good order????....if you value the bike, you should treat it as such....

I agree with most of what you said. However, I dont want to pay 6-700 dollars for an inspection that I dont need!!! :blah:

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
When I had the first service last week, the bike was completely checked. Nothing found except a loose rubber from the headlight. The rest was perfect. I was charged only one hour of work and materials.

·
Registered
367 Posts
mikef4uk said:
Talk to your dealer, most reckon the 600 service should be a minimum mileage, mine had 1000miles on it, they also agreed and said they had never had to adjust valves at this service, but I serviced mine myself when I got it back anyway, I found.

1/ spark plugs loose.
2/ one of the air box to injection seals half stuck in the air box.
3/ plug caps not clicked on correctly.
4/ chain way too tight.
5/ rear chain adjustment overtorqued.

\
Yeh i think my chain is over tightened too, how hard is it to adjust?
I will check the book later, I'm going for a ride tommorrow.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
The drive chain is pretty easy to adjust. With your bike on the rear stand, slacken the two allen head bolts at the rear of the swinging arm and use the large 'C' spanner (in the tool kit) to slacken or tighten the chain on the eccentric cam. Get the correct amount of slack by turning the wheel and checking at various points on the chain, then retighten the two Allen head bolts making sure you respect the torque settings 28 - 32 Nm. There should be a sticker on the swinging arm with these torque figures on it. :)

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
spacechumper said:
\
Yeh i think my chain is over tightened too, how hard is it to adjust?
I will check the book later, I'm going for a ride tommorrow.
Dead easy, bike on main stand, undo the two clamp bolts and use the "C" spanner in the tool kit to turn thr whole bearing/hub assembly around, its quite coarse, a little movement alters it a lot, chain should be hanging down below the triangular plastic chainguard about 5mm, but you need to look in your manual for the correct adjustment figure, tighten the clamp bots up and re-torque them-this re-torqueing is megga important.....

·
Registered
337 Posts
i'm at 2k without it currently...going up to PA this week to have it done. i think most are right...keep in limits....most importantly change the oil (really easy if u have the filter tool) service chain and you should be fine.....i spoke to three dealers and every says that they have never had to adjust the valves...but now that i'm at 2k...i'm having the service and valves checked anyway....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts