MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In doing my oil change the oil was no longer transparent as it was at about 400 miles or so. It was more of a opaque graphite color. Is this normal?

I think I am going to change it again at about 2500 then the 3800 normal service. Your thoughts!

·
Registered
661 Posts
Donsy, would you be able to elaborate on that first service? I am learey of taking it in on first service for fear they'll mess up my cosmetics. Some of the Dzus fasteners are tight in terms of pulling off the plastic holes themselves and require some finessing as to not over stress the plastics. How critical are the rest of the checks outside of the oil change itself, especially if my bike is running flawlessly already? Thanks so much.

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I think I am going to change it again at about 2500 then the 3800 normal service. Your thoughts!
Too often, it's your bike, but not needed.

Donsy, would you be able to elaborate on that first service? I am learey of taking it in on first service for fear they'll mess up my cosmetics. Some of the Dzus fasteners are tight in terms of pulling off the plastic holes themselves and require some finessing as to not over stress the plastics. How critical are the rest of the checks outside of the oil change itself, especially if my bike is running flawlessly already? Thanks so much.
It's your choice mate, the dealer might void your warranty, depending on which Country you're in, and how much of an agreement you can come to with him. On the old bikes the first service was a BIG deal, with valves checked etc, I believe by looking at your workshop manual, that this has changed. You can remove the plastics yourself and then take it in to get checked over for piece of mind I suppose.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Danke Donsy. So simple why didn't I think of it, take the fairings in question off and hand them the bike. I will keep that in mind. I am looking forward to the end of the run-in and first service so that I can get on my way with normal use of the bike :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it's normal. Is this your first service ? I'd recommend you get it done by a dealer, the first service is quite important.
When I was at the dealer he said the 1st service was about $200 US. Primarily change the oil and make sure all, is tight. Did all of that myself outside the valve check. Here in Michigan as long as you maintain records and have receipts you are protected by law. That is from a friend who is a mechanic here.

Thanks Donsy as always. I really do appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I do believe that I am going to do my own and cover all points in the shop manual. My MV dealer was all to helpful to sell me the oil/ filter/ washer knowing that I am knocking this out. They have that sale on record to show the parts were ordered. I will perform the change and ask questions if any doubts on proper treatment of the bike. If I have any concerns I will bring my bike to them and have them go over it at cost, no problemo. I was told straight up by Penn MV U.S. that these bikes are very bulletproof when used properly for normal driving, which I do. They did mention that the dealer can give it a once over on first service if I am not versed in these basic checks, in which case I should bring to them. The second or subsequent services however, I will bring to them to do the valve checkings/ plugs, etc as it it as that stage where expert skills are required.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts