MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m missing a spacer kit or something? Under power it’s going to twist it more than a few degrees out of alignment

·
Registered
626 Posts
That little bit of play is normal.. as for the sprocket it might be possible it can go on one two ways.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Really? I mean holy cow it wiggles side to side and twists on the central axis a few degrees

·
Super Moderator
22,347 Posts
Is that sprocket and carrier stock?

When I switched my S4Rs Monster to AEM carrier and a titanium sprocket with titanium cush drives, the play was at least that. No issues.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright I’m confident in your replies. Have NEVER seen this in 20+ bikes in my life but I guess that’s MV for ya?

Thanks as always gents!

·
Super Moderator
22,347 Posts
Not just MV as I stated earlier.

·
Administrator
19,853 Posts
Acceleration loads will not make it deflect...unless your chain is longer on one side of the plates than the other !! Not likely. Or the swing arm or frame is flexing. Not likely on the MV.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not just MV as I stated earlier.

never had it like this on any of my Ducatis.maybe enough play to know it wasn't dead rock solid, but nothing like this on them

JD, the -1 front went on long side first on this one. seems to be in good alignment and roll easily.

·
Super Moderator
22,347 Posts
...and you did a 520 conversion on all of them....?

·
Super Moderator
22,347 Posts
5-7 of them I believe. doing it on the new gsxr 1000 as well right this moment and the sprocket is rock solid
That is interesting...:nerd2:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
whats with the tongue in cheek?

I guess im lying to strangers about sprocket wobble?

I get a lot out of you guys for this MV

·
Registered
447 Posts
I know others say that play is normal but I disagree. Both this forum and my dealer told me it was normal and it could have ended tragically for me. Check the rear axle stack. I bet the hat spacer is rubbing and grinding away. There is a pretty detailed thread that I started on this very subject.

Ever since I switched MV Agusta parts to AEM parts there has been no play at all.

·
Super Moderator
22,347 Posts
whats with the tongue in cheek?

I guess im lying to strangers about sprocket wobble?

I get a lot out of you guys for this MV

No tongue-in-cheek here at all. I was curious about your experience with other conversions. I find it interesting that only on the MV did you find wobble.

When I did my Monster S4Rs modification to AEM with Titanium Cush Drives, the wobble, in my mind was excessive. Assurances from AEM and Bellissimoto allowed me to continue and keep my setup.

You will probably find that the wobble is induced by loose fitment between the cushdrives and the sprocket carrier. As your cush drives are inserted into the sprocket carrier, and the cush drives are bolted to the hub flange, and that hub flange is splined onto your axle, the most likely place for inducing wobble is at the cush drive/sprocket carrier interface.

"The Stack" as implied is a post above has nothing to do with it...unless you left something out.

Now, while we are at it, and I don't do this very often, but in your case I am making an exception. I say what I mean. I say what I know. If I don't know, there will be words in my statement that bring attention to the fact that I am using conjecture.

Having observed some of your most recent posts, I have formed an opinion that you aren't one for the instructions. I am the polar opposite. I read about what I want to do, research different way of accomplishing a particular task, make a decision, get some parts, THEN I dive into the task armed wit the best knowledge possible and a plan to accomplish the task.

The video of you asking about how to properly reassemble your previously disassembled bike is evidence of my theory. Not that you are wrong to do it that way, but it is not the way I operate.

Everything I researched about the AEM setup showed it to be a good and viable option. I was surprised by the wobble. I don't have video of it, but it was on the order of what you are experiencing and it is at the cush drive/sprocket carrier interface.

I have put several hundred miles on this setup with no issue.

DSC_2802r.jpg

FWIW: This would be Tongue-in-cheek :stickpoke, this :nerd2: is nerd.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
?

Chuck;
You're describing a 1st Gen cush drive not the POS at hand

2nd Gen cush drive testing......a correctly assembled cush drive:grin2:
The set up, 1st picture
sprocket nut
stainless washer
cush drive
2.0mm x 76mm washer
ground machinists bench block
clamped in an Athol vise
dial indicator
2nd picture
zeroed dial indicator, sprocket pulled to left on top
3rd picture
sprocket pulled to left on bottom

Indicated play 0.25mm, about double of what it actually is:wink2:

If I was using one of these POS, I'd make sure the bronze bearing inside the cush drive was lubed
with EP grease (extreme pressure)

THERE SHOULD BE NEXT TO NO FLOP IN THE SPROCKET/CUSH DRIVE ASSEMBLY

Check with the Boston Gear, Browning Power Transmission catalogs or Machinery's Handbook

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
I've just had my TVL at the dealer to have a very similar issue with the sprocket/carrier play assessed. I do not have the sprocket carrier hitting my hub at this point.

My concern is that I'll have some type of issue with a lock-up or worse at speed and result in personal injury if I continue riding the bike.

The dealer took it apart (left side axle nut, sprocket carrier, dampeners and crown. They did not touch the hub internals or disassemble it.

Their analysis concluded the the bronze colored bushing in the sprocket carrier was worn and causing the
play. They indicated that with the sprocket carrier, dampeners and crown together as 1 piece off the axle they could induce the slop/play and it was resulting form the worn bushing.

MV Agusta USA regional was contacted regarding warranty replacement. Video was taken and forwarded to MVA of this issue with the assembly off the axle showing the play. MVA regional USA inquired with their internal mechanics for advise and at this point their mechanics told my dealer to pull the hub apart and check the internal bearings of the hub assembly.

I'm not sure if this is just a delay tactic, poor communications at MVA with their mechanic about my dealers inquiry, the hub is causing it or what???

Needless to say I'm wanting to hit up a few western states soon with the moto and I'm not sure I can trust the bike at this point with that sprocket play (just as the OP provided in the initial post).

If I'm not mistaken the MY17/18 TVL has been fitted with a revised sprocket carrier, crown and dampeners. Wonder why?

·
Super Moderator
22,347 Posts
Chuck;
You're describing a 1st Gen cush drive not the POS at hand

Actually, Noel, I was describing the AEM setup on my Ducati S4Rs.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts