MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Meh, sort of like watching the Thunderbirds in slow mo. I can appreciate the feat though. Must be wild throwing a plane of that size through maneuvers.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
That was probably incredibly fun for those pilots. Where's Lee when you need some commentary!

I like how the lead pilot bought the new Moto Corse LARGE WEAVE carbon fiber tail section for this little ride!

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Love it Randy......The wings are made in Uk as are the engines and the fuselage in France...

Fly by wire system

The cockpit is very roomy ... The winglets are designed to reduce vortices spilling off the wing tips and creating drag which adds considerably to the fuel efficiency of these aeroplanes.

Nice I enjoyed that.

Joe

·
Administrator
18,812 Posts
Francois would enjoy that.....

Now consider hundreds of 4 engine bombers flying in formation for hours at a time 70 years ago with rudimentary navigation and radio gear..........

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
All I could picture, Ed, was a formation of B-17s, which are MUCH smaller aircraft......

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
No Jumbo's Randy it are Airbus A350.
But cool nonetheless.
Oh for pete's sake! The “wide body” Airbus 350 can carry 250 to 350 passengers in a typical three-class seating layout. Or, a maximum seating of 550 passengers, depending on the variant.
The original “Jumbo Jet”, the Boeing 747, started out nearly the same with a capacity of 225 to 350 passengers. In 1970 that was up to 2.5 times the capacity of a 707.

Ya, it's not a "Jumbo" if you subscribe to, only 747's are Jumbo's, convention but... it is a jumbo in my book because as Randy points out, they are "Big Ass Jets!

Ta-mate-ah - tow-maw-toe

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Oh for pete's sake! The “wide body” Airbus 350 can carry 250 to 350 passengers in a typical three-class seating layout. Or, a maximum seating of 550 passengers, depending on the variant.
The original “Jumbo Jet”, the Boeing 747, started out nearly the same with a capacity of 225 to 350 passengers. In 1970 that was up to 2.5 times the capacity of a 707.

Ya, it's not a "Jumbo" if you subscribe to, only 747's are Jumbo's, convention but... it is a jumbo in my book because as Randy points out, they are "Big Ass Jets!

Ta-mate-ah - tow-maw-toe

and God only knows Randy, judging by the Brutie F4 wars, knows a " Big Ass Bird" when he sees one. :naughty:

The Airbus is one hell of an aircraft but strangely I feel safer on a 747.
Some say, If it ain't Boeing, I ain't going....:jsm:

Joe

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Francois would enjoy that.....

Now consider hundreds of 4 engine bombers flying in formation for hours at a time 70 years ago with rudimentary navigation and radio gear..........

Those boys ( Men ) were amazing Ed...mainly in their early 20s.

I've been on board a B17 here in the UK and I can tell you it is not a place I would want to go to war...The skin as thin as a Coke Can the only barrier to shrapnel and bullets,:jsm:

We did get some 1000 bomber raids later in the war...The numbers would be made up with rookie crews....Scary stuff.

Joe

·
Administrator
18,812 Posts
Those boys ( Men ) were amazing Ed...mainly in their early 20s.

I've been on board a B17 here in the UK and I can tell you it is not a place I would want to go to war...The skin as thin as a Coke Can the only barrier to shrapnel and bullets,:jsm:

We did get some 1000 bomber raids later in the war...The numbers would be made up with rookie crews....Scary stuff.

Joe
That's what I mean....and flying close formation with fighters zipping in and out and planes falling out of the sky, and bombs dropping from aircraft at higher altitude!!! :jsm:

I have taken a flight in a B-17....gave me a whole new appreciation of how brave those guys were.

Yep, Chuck, much smaller.....but hundreds, not just 5.....

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
That's what I mean....and flying close formation with fighters zipping in and out and planes falling out of the sky, and bombs dropping from aircraft at higher altitude!!! :jsm:

I have taken a flight in a B-17....gave me a whole new appreciation of how brave those guys were.

Yep, Chuck, much smaller.....but hundreds, not just 5.....

That's so cool Ed.. I didn't get to take off..UKs Nanny state Health and Safety/Insurance regime : (

Which B17 was it ? Let's guess but I know you have a few out there...

Texas Rangers, ?
Aluminium Overcast ?

I love those B17s and the nose art and the jackets...I have 3 - A2 Jackets..One I had hand made in USA for riding on the bike...
My g/fs uncle flew from USAAF base Kimbolton in the war as a ball turret gunner on B 17s...I think there was a 20% loss rate for long periods..
I've seen his mission sheets and it reads like something from the Memphis Belle movie..

I visited Fintra beach in Killybegs Donegal Ireland this Sept where a B17 ( Knucklehead ) came down in the war after losing engine power. It was en route to Kimbolton after the long Atlantic crossing.

All 10 - crew survived and were treated to a celebration in the town that night before being delivered by Irish soldiers to the British in Ulster..Just a little way up the road.

Looking at the bay and the rocky outcrops it was a miracle they survived.

Such was the lottery of fate in the war..

The east side of the UK is still covered in old USAAF bases...many being absorbed back into the English countryside but still visible from the air....

I have the greatest respect and admiration for the Mighty Eighth :yo:

Joe

joe

·
Administrator
18,812 Posts
Aluminum Overcast, Joe......my take off and landing position was the radio operator's seat. The radio equipment was only about a foot away from the operator's face!!
As soon as the wheels were off the ground we could get up and wander about the aircraft until just before touch down.
Couldn't go down the tunnel to the tail or get into the ball, but everywhere else. A half hour ride across North Georgia at low altitude. Noisy, vibrating, tight (I banged my head a few times)..... Looking at the daylight coming in through the gaps in the bomb bay doors (no pressurized aircraft here!)
Best $450 dollars I ever spent.

·
Super Moderator
21,403 Posts
The Memphis Bell shows up around these parts...at least I think that's the plane's name.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Aluminum Overcast, Joe......my take off and landing position was the radio operator's seat. The radio equipment was only about a foot away from the operator's face!!
As soon as the wheels were off the ground we could get up and wander about the aircraft until just before touch down.
Couldn't go down the tunnel to the tail or get into the ball, but everywhere else. A half hour ride across North Georgia at low altitude. Noisy, vibrating, tight (I banged my head a few times)..... Looking at the daylight coming in through the gaps in the bomb bay doors (no pressurized aircraft here!)
Best $450 dollars I ever spent.

That's fabulous Ed.

Were you able to get down into the plexiglass nose where the bomb aimer sat...
The walkway across the bomb bay is very narrow I recall.

Did you get any nice pictures ?

Chuck the actual Memphis Belle is in the USAAF Airbase at Dayton Ohio and is not flying...It would be a dream to see here take to the air again.

It's be interesting to see which B17 is flying over Massachusetts. I bet they pull the wheels up over Lynn and check the hub caps are still on ha ha !

Attachments

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
and God only knows Randy, judging by the Brutie F4 wars, knows a " Big Ass Bird" when he sees one. :naughty:

Joe
Why yes I do......:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts