MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I have you attention.

The question is for brains much bigger than mine.

The question is how well would a 3 cylinder engine run on just no. 1&2 cylinders?

And how much power would it make?

The reason is I have a blown f3 engine that will still run on two cylinders, so if I welded up the valves and spark plug removed the piston and Conrod and disconnected the injectors.

I could run this configuration in GP450 class racing.

Could I have a competitive bike doing this or am I bonkers for thinking it?

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
Imbalance in weight and combustion pressures will cause serious vibration at speed.
You would be better off just fixing it...or scavenging the good parts for spares or to sell.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When It blew it still revved cleanly up to 9-10k. It was just a thought I had before breaking it.

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
Easy enough to try. Just yank the connecting rod/ piston out and shut off fuel to the injector and try it. No need to disable valves and ignition for a brief test. May just work fine!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
If you weld up the valves the camshafts won't turn....

I would've thought the engine would be a long way out of balance but who knows?

Depending on why it's broken might there not be stuff floating around in there that could lock it solid?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you weld up the valves the camshafts won't turn....

I would've thought the engine would be a long way out of balance but who knows?

Depending on why it's broken might there not be stuff floating around in there that could lock it solid?
I was more thinking of removing the valves completely then weld the holes where the valves used to be, the head is already junk as there is a snapped valve imbeded in the port sideways. This is the reason the engine has had it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks APU that's all great info there. I think this will definitely turn into a long term project.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I'd think plating off the bunk cylinder as close to the crank as possible would be best for efficient oil use, maybe bypass the coolant channels for that cylinder and remove all the valves and associated components. Turn down the unnecessary cam lobes and any unecessary metal for the bunk cylinder, for weight savings. How far you wanted to go would depend on whether you ever wanted it to be a functional 3 cylinder bike again. Wonder how that would effect bike balance overall. Quicker leans to the left, slower to the right? Wonder if it would be noticeable.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good and bad news
Started prepping the engine to see about Turing it into a twin, found that the Ti valve stuck in the head actually hadn't damaged the valve seat or the inlet tract at all. the sides of the valve had disintegrated. But without spending an ages to remove the embedded valve which was well rammed in I would of bet my house the valve was intact.

So with my new found knowledge the only thing the head needs is a new valve guide and clean up to get rid of molten metal residue.

So the twin idea is on the back burner for now.

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
Well, that's good news.....needs a piston too I imagine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts