MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

I'm going to change the rear sprocket for a 43T (750S) and just wondered if I'll need a new chain?

I suspect so as the current chain won't be long enough but the current one is in very good condition with low wear rate.

Of course I suspect I'll struggle to find a 530 pitch sprocket anyway so will probably need a front and chain as a result.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
Generally, the drive is replaced as a set.

Why do you have a 530 setup? These bikes come stock with a 525 pitch and most folks reduce that to a 520.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Generally, the drive is replaced as a set.

Why do you have a 530 setup? These bikes come stock with a 525 pitch and most folks reduce that to a 520.
My mistake, I thought it was a 530 as standard from what I read. That's helpful to know - thanks.

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
@biaggi: What is your source for information?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On here - from reading old threads when trying to find out about chain length - or so I thought, I must have misread/misremembered.

·
Super Moderator
22,312 Posts
It will be marked on the link plates.

·
Administrator
19,805 Posts
Back to the original question.....there is a fair amount of chain adjustment available in the rear hub. My SPR came with a selection of 3 different size rear sprockets (chain wheels), all of which could be fitted with the standard chain.

Be aware your ride height will change with chain adjustment. So what is the current tooth count? Going from 40 to 43 may be possible with existing chain. Going from 37 to 43 may not.

·
Registered
114 Posts
FWIW, I just went from 43T to 40T on my Brutale 910S and I removed 1 link to bring my hub back to roughly the mid adjustment point. The new ratios suit my daily ride better than stock and as a bonus I found that my previously 'optimistic' speedo was pretty well on the money when I mounted a satnav to check its accuracy with the new sprocket ratios.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Back to the original question.....there is a fair amount of chain adjustment available in the rear hub. My SPR came with a selection of 3 different size rear sprockets (chain wheels), all of which could be fitted with the standard chain.

Be aware your ride height will change with chain adjustment. So what is the current tooth count? Going from 40 to 43 may be possible with existing chain. Going from 37 to 43 may not.
Lots of good info from all - thanks.

So with a bit more checking - it's a 520 chain and 41 rear. I've just got a rear carrier from a later F4 so will get the right sprocket for it, plus a spacer (as per other threads on this mod), and try that with the standard chain, whilst factoring in the ride height.

With only 2K miles on the chain and sprockets it seems a waste to change them without trying first.

All good tinkering! :grin2:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Hiya,

I'm going to change the rear sprocket for a 43T (750S) and just wondered if I'll need a new chain?

I suspect so as the current chain won't be long enough .....
Thanks
For any calculations about gearing ratio, chain length, speed etc. I use GEARING COMMANDER

Correct, B750 has 520 chain, and my experiance after swap 750 to 910 engine is that some hi-quality 520 chain (I use AFAM XHR2-G) can handle all the torque without the problem.
Btw, my courent setup is: BMC filter, racing eprom, complete titanium exhaust, gear ratio 15/41, rear tyre 200/55 .... so yes, my chain is definitly under stress much more than on standard B750 :wink2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts