MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was going great until I needed to put the gas tank back on...then I noticed the plastic 90 degree fuel tank connector on the bottom of the tank was cracked. I was super careful then the wife comes out...:thewife:

So I drained the tank and now it sits until I figure out how to get it fixed. I did notice some fixes for the fuel tank connector on the previous model year and was wondering if that would work?

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So looking in the service manual I'm a tad confused on the fuel pump O ring. I only have one O ring and I put it in position 1 (the notch) and fuel leaks. I put in position 2 and same thing. Am I supposed to have two O rings? The parts breakdown doesn't help spell it out for me either. I've inspected the O ring also and it looks good...:cry:

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
CPC metal fittings?

Donsy and Mitch they won't help him, he has a '10 bike with a single red John Guest fitting on the bottom:wtf:

and it has 3 hose fittings in the pump plate:wtf::wtf: the old bikes had 2

Timber29;

you need to remove the cannister, if you have it (since i don't know where you are) and wye the drain/vent lines together INSIDE the tank

make them ~20cm/8" longer than stock.....then you can change the fuel filter without disconnecting the vent/drain lines

epoxy 2 of fuel pump plate fittings closed.....that way you only need to remove 1 clamp the remove the fuel pump completely

the plastic tank MVs use 2 of the big O-rings .....my '08 910R came with only 1:wtf:
but didn't leak:jsm:

lucky me:drummer:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Donsy and Mitch they won't help him, he has a '10 bike with a single red John Guest fitting on the bottom:wtf:

and it has 3 hose fittings in the pump plate:wtf::wtf: the old bikes had 2

Timber29;

you need to remove the cannister, if you have it (since i don't know where you are) and wye the drain/vent lines together INSIDE the tank

make them ~20cm/8" longer than stock.....then you can change the fuel filter without disconnecting the vent/drain lines

epoxy 2 of fuel pump plate fittings closed.....that way you only need to remove 1 clamp the remove the fuel pump completely

the plastic tank MVs use 2 of the big O-rings .....my '08 910R came with only 1:wtf:
but didn't leak:jsm:

lucky me:drummer:
Yes, I have a Walkman (canister) in my fuel tank also since I’m a California resident. So how in the wide world of sports do I only have one O ring in my tank (the green one)? Also how the #[email protected]! Do you get the red fitting off at the bottom of the tank?

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
Opps,stuffed up again.I looked at his registry and saw F4 1000 and went by that info.

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
Yes, I have a Walkman (canister) in my fuel tank also since I’m a California resident. So how in the wide world of sports do I only have one O ring in my tank (the green one)? Also how the #[email protected]! Do you get the red fitting off at the bottom of the tank?
That fitting does not separate from the pump housing.I did a search for you and MV sells the complete assembly for around $900.00.I found a post where a bike shop did a conversion and fixed a John Guest male elbow into the pump housing.Hopefully another member has a quicker solution for you. 61427.jpg

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Let's get this right ( cuz I feel like I have fallen down a rabbit hole ) !

MY10
A plastic elbow at the bottom of the plate cracks and then it is not possible remove it and install a new one from oe parts ? and then the official solution is a new fuel pump ? Is that right ?

Joe

Is it feasible to retro fit a pre 2010 pump ?

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
Yes that's right Joe,apparently the fitting is non-removable from the fuel pump plate and MV only sells the whole fuel pump/plate/fitting as a unit.As I have read when you lift the fuel tank to disconnect the fuel hose the elbow fuel fitting can crack if you are not careful.:bawling:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Yes that's right Joe,apparently the fitting is non-removable from the fuel pump plate and MV only sells the whole fuel pump/plate/fitting as a unit.As I have read when you lift the fuel tank to disconnect the fuel hose the elbow fuel fitting can crack if you are not careful.:bawling:
My Moto Guzzi has same system...

Definitely warrants a bit of research ..:smoking:

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
wtf????

you folks sure its not removable? Robert, Foxtrot4 and Eileen were here last week with his '10 F4 tank
I replumbed the inside, seems as though the red fitting rotated a bit (15*-20*)

bet there's a snap ring and washer on the inside of the fuel pump plate and O-rings on the shank of the fitting

timber 29;
you pinch the black fitting and it releases (in theory)

Mitch;
MV doesn't sell hub parts either :naughty:

since the John Guests come from England:jsm: and the neck of the fitting failed

i'd remove the broken piece and find out what size hole is in the fuel pump plate then tap the plate 1/4" or 3/8" NTP and buy the CPC male and female metal fittings from Alex at Gutsy Performance.....since Alex only has the 1/4" females.....if you need to go bigger in the plate tap it 3/8"NTP and epoxy a 1/4-3/8 bushing in

an '09 < pump won't work because the FPR is on the return side and there is only one line '10+

sorry MV, its a bogus way of doing it......just like on BMWs:jerkoff::jerkoff:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So after the removal surgery here is the after action report:

Exhibit A:
The plastic connector, it will spin and spin and spin but you have to break it down one side to release those little metal fingers that hold it down. I worked with a small screwdriver chipping away at little bits. The downside is now I will need to remove the hose from the fuel pump inside as to make sure no little plastic parts, but that was expected.

Exibit B:

The hole..there is also another tiny hole inside that looks like it goes to a regulator.

A closer look...

I've been looking at the John Guest website and I will be doing some additional hunting for the part. I have also enlisted Pro Italia's help in finding a solution after a phone call today, so more to follow. I just wish I had written the part number down off the piece before I mangled it. In the end I think I can tap it but I'm going to try and find the part first.

·
Vendor
5,336 Posts
You have done well to remove that fitting.If you can't get the original,I would do what Noel suggests and measure the hole to see if you can tap to 3/8 NPT and fit the CPC metal connectors,then you will be OK.[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The hole looks to be around 4/8" in diameter. That's the plan Mitchy if I can't get the part I will thread tap it. I was thinking also about threading a brass insert and shrink fitting it with some dry ice, but that method sounds like more trouble than it's worth. I am concerned about the diameter being a bit big though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
here's your pipe tap chart;
http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-tap-pipe.htm

looks like you might have to go to 3/8"

remember to back drill the FPR hole, what ever you do
:drummer:
Well I did find a part number from Aprilia: AP8104192 and it's the same fitting used on a bunch of manufacturers fuel pumps also. :smoking:

By back drilling you mean NOT to drill down into where the FPR hole is??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts