MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm replacing chain and sprockets on my '72 350B Sport (6v). Am aware that the chain is a 428 size, but I see that there are varieties of 428, i.e. 428-126, 428-136 ... My guess is that the latter figure might be the outside width (e.g. 12.6mm, 13.6mm) - although I don't see why that dimension is important, perhaps for strength? Also, I'd like to get an X-ring or O-ring type, has anyone had any experience/problems with those on a 350B?

·
Administrator
19,846 Posts
428 chains come in varying strengths. 428 is a base line. 428H has heavier side plates and higher strength, but essential specs (pitch and roller diameter) is the same.
Google is your friend:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks. I’d figured it was probably indicative of strength, but a trawl around google hadn’t explained the “126”, “136” etc suffixes, which are probably just alternatives to the letters in your chart. Some sites are recommending that even 428-136 is for maximum 250cc road bikes - but modern 250s probably muster more than our humble 27 horses.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
D'oh! Just had a hunch ... that the latter figure might simply refer to the length options. Would also explain higher pricing for higher numbers.
Now to figure out whether it represents the length in centimetres, or the number of links ...

·
Administrator
19,846 Posts
Number of links !!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts