MV Agusta Forum banner

350B fork springs

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  mv125tr 
#1 ·
So ... the chain/sprocket replacement is sorta turning into a “while I’m in there ...” I’m going to replace the fork oil and also thinking about the 48-year-old springs. If they’re sagged it’s nothing too bad, but ... while I’m in there etc.
A few questions, which I’ll be most grateful if someone can answer:
  • what type/grade fork oil is recommended (I weigh 90kg) and does anyone know the volume per leg? (350B Sport, 6-volt model)
  • are the springs likely to be very specific, ie have to hope I can find genuine/repro parts via MVOCGB, or “generic” in terms of finding something of that length/diameter/weight from aftermarket?
  • if I’m going to this much trouble, am I a mug if I don’t replace the seals as well? Can’t imagine when they were last replaced, but they’re not leaking at all, always had boots covering them, the bike’s done 7000 miles in its whole life, and mostly, I remember really hating replacing fork seals ...

#2 ·
Just change the oil.... springs are probably just fine. Bikes back then used ATF, hydraulic fluid (which is a type of ATF) or just motor oil. I would try some cheap 20 weight fork oil and see how the damping feels. Seals aren't leaking??? Leave them alone.
No clue on the amount of oil... maybe the specs are in one of the club libraries?

#3 ·
Hi and thanks for the quick reply. I feel encouraged by your response, and especially at not having to track down some suitable for sales. I did some research and found that the 250 sport took 125 mL per leg; there’s a chance the 250 had thinner fork tubes than the 350, I think that’s a good guide. There’s my next weekend sorted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.