MV Agusta Forum banner
141 - 160 of 340 Posts
For my Peneth worth;

I too am a great believer in the theory that air will not get into a sealed system, without signs of a leak and that it is a case that the air has not been removed fully, from before the bike it left the factory. I back this up with the fact that we have two 2019 Dragsters (owned form new) with one having a good rear brake peddle and the other loosing it from. I have bled the rear brake twice in the traditional way (as per MV service bulletin), to have a good peddle and then to lose it again.

Yesterday, I put a compressed air brake bleeder on my rear caliper nipple and pulled through approximately 300ml of brake fluid (kept the reservoir topped up and only cracked the bleed nipple once). If there was any air in there previously, surely there should not be any in there now? I had no brake peddle before and have a good brake peddle now. The bike will stand, unused now until the weather gets better next year. I will occasionally check the rear brake peddle and I shall report back if it has failed again.

To remedy this you have to bleed the rear brake first and top off the reservoir, take it out and lock the rear up to engage the ABS module then bleed the rear again. It's a two step process and is actually a Service Bulletin with MV Agusta. This will be taken care of at any MV Agusta dealer at no charge. I've posted this a couple times on this forum, hopefully more owners will see this.

@XPARAUK ... Unless the ABS pump cycled you could still have air in there.... do as jcross ^^^ said.

Is there a way to cycle the ABS pump without riding and stomping? Asking because the front on my new Superveloce is spongier than I would have thought. Bike stops great but lever feel is spongey.

I bled the brakes but no improvement. Reading these posts I now want to cycle the pump and bleed again, but not eager to actually activate the ABS on the front. Call me crazy.

Discussion starter · #145 ·
There is a way, but you don't have access to it. There is a dealer maintenance program that cycles the ABS via computer input.

I find it interesting that people want ABS because it gives them control, but they don't want to actuate it because they might lose control.

Reactions: esq'z me
Is there a way to cycle the ABS pump without riding and stomping? not eager to actually activate the ABS on the front. Call me crazy.
I find it interesting that people want ABS because it gives them control, but they don't want to actuate it because they might lose control.
Everyone should "test" their ABS simply to understand what it feels like and reacts when you do need it. I do this with my cars, and have done it with ABS equipped bikes I have ridden.

Find a nice clean and clear piece of tarmac (concrete is a good choice) and grab a fist full while going about 15 mph and straight up and down. Do the rear first, then do the front in a second pass. Nothing scary will happen. You won't go over the bars and you should be able to keep the front end going in a straight line.

Good to know what to expect and have confidence when that car pulls out in front of you.

Everyone should "test" their ABS simply to understand what it feels like and reacts when you do need it.
Yes. Fellow member Deerhunter is of the same philosophy as you and went so far as to help me test mine back in the summer.
And thanks to Graham I can confirm that: over the bars I did not go; it stopped straight and true; and I now have supreme confidence in my emergency braking ability.
(Hows things Graham if you reading? - settled on replacement steed yet?).
Rich.

There is a way, but you don't have access to it. There is a dealer maintenance program that cycles the ABS via computer input.

I asked the MV dealer about this; they said there was no ability to "exercise" the ABS via scan tool or computer input.

Discussion starter · #149 ·
Hmm, then how do they activate ABS to bleed it?

This is my first bike with ABS. I’m not sure yet if I “want” it or not. I know it’s safer, but it’s also more complicated to maintain (as this abs other threads prove), and I sure hate the way the ABS module looks hung under the tail on my Superveloce.

As for testing, this is the feedback I was hoping to get. I’ve tested car ABS tons of times - on purpose and by accident - and I got no problem testing the rear. But intentionally locking the front makes me a bit nervous. However, if it’s a thing people do, I’ll give it a shot.

That said, there’s got to be a way to cycle the pump electronically via computer.

The other thought I had was to use a rear stand. If the bearing in the pin is good enough to spin the tire and lube the chain, can’t you run it in idle speed in first gear and grab the front brake? The computer should register the wheel speed difference and/or stopped front wheel and try to activate the ABS, no?

Discussion starter · #152 ·
That would do it.

I do not understand why MV would not include ABS system testing in their diagnostic tool. Other manufacturers do. Regardless, forced activation will do the job, just a lot more time consuming.

@motoslice that idea won't work...the stationary front wheel from the start will prevent the ABS from ever arming.
Go for the front brake grab...you will NOT lock the front wheel no matter how hard you try....that's what ABS prevents.

I do not understand why MV would not include ABS system testing in their diagnostic tool. Other manufacturers do. Regardless, forced activation will do the job, just a lot more time consuming.

@motoslice that idea won't work...the stationary front wheel from the start will prevent the ABS from ever arming.
Go for the front brake grab...you will NOT lock the front wheel no matter how hard you try....that's what ABS prevents.

True; but where's the fun in that?

Thanks, @esq'z me - I figured the ECU was too smart for that idea, but that’s why I asked you guys.

I’ll grab a handful a few times and see if that helps my bleeding endeavor..,

Any update on the rear brake issues? Mine still failing on my 19 dragster :(. Bleeding clearly isn't the answer
Who did the bleeding on yours?

Any update on the rear brake issues? Mine still failing on my 19 dragster :(. Bleeding clearly isn't the answer
I bled the rear brake circuit on my '16 TV several times. The pedal would be firm for a few months but eventually it would get soft. Even bleeding per the MV service bulletin resulted in the same outcome, over time.
No problems with air in the system, since installing a brake line from the master to the caliper.

Discussion starter · #160 ·
Which supports the information, posted earlier, from Ducati, suggesting that rear brake line construction is at fault. Hopefully I will be able to test that next summer.

Reactions: NM-1 and Teeps
141 - 160 of 340 Posts