MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During my search for a used MV, I came across a company that sells an extended motorcycle warranty. One of the main, if not most important, stipulations is that it has to be purchased before the original manufacturers warranty expires. The business name is Western Service Contract. Has anyone dealt with them?

·
Administrator
20,341 Posts
No experience with Western, but Cornerstone will also sell extended service for MV (as long as factory warranty is in force). I have some experience with them. That's the company used by Suzuki, so any Suzuki dealer can hook you up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Me too....

I have 60 Day's to cancel. Opinions? Should I keep Western Service Contracts or get a refund?

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke to my MV dealer about this and he recommended buying it one day before the factory warranty expires.

·
Administrator
20,341 Posts
I think most companies require purchase 30 days before factory warranty ends. Only factory sponsored plans, like Yamaha YES or Honda Care or Suzuki SEP can be bought on last day of factory warranty.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am being offered that now with the Factory warranty up over 6 months... Is it worth it?

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Listen guys, extended warranties should be considered just like any other insurance policy.

When considering the purchase, you should weigh cost versus risk.  Can you personally 'insure' against a major mechanical failure?  If a repair were to cost you, say $2000, could you afford to pay the repair without significant impact on your budget?  If the answer is yes, then you should 'self insure' and not purchase the extended warranty.

On the other hand, if a significant repair expense would be catastrophic to your budget, then the warranty expense (which is fixed) probably makes sense. 

Remember, extended warranties are actuarily designed to make a profit for the insurance provider as well as a commission for the seller.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think our question is, if I pay $750. now for a so called warranty, when the bike breaks will they make good or hit me with a bunch of BS and still charge me $2000. for the repair?

Anybody try and make a claim with one of these types of warranties?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts