MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mv250b Anyone know the fixed advance or setting static advance number?

·
Administrator
19,545 Posts
Share with us...someone else may be looking sometime in the future....

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh sure, I didn't think of that.
I believe it is 15 degrees BTDC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
I’ve just bought a 350B and it is proving to be a tricky starter, so I want to check the ignition timing. I now know that it should be 15 degrees BTDC . Thanks for that. However, my question is, is there an easy way to find the 15 degrees? I have taken the right-hand cover off to expose the points, but there are no timing marks and I can’t see where I can fix a timing disk. Is there anything behind the left-hand cover ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used a degree wheel on the crankshaft and a multimeter. I am not sure that 15 is right for the 350. Advance weights in the distributor might be different. I am not sure if 15 is truly right for the 250. I found a copy of the manual and I think I interpreted it right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with your view on whether 15 degrees is the correct static advance for the 350. This is what is stated in the owner’s handbook ( which I now have, thanks to you guys ). I set this very carefully on my bike but it still proved to be difficult to start. I therefore decided to advance it a little and it now starts easily. Perhaps modern fuel affects the timing.

I need to find what works best and will report back on my findings. It will inevitably be a slow process because any engine tends to start more easily when it is warm. I will therefore need to allow the engine to cool thorughly between each test.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey good luck and let us know what you find.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you have a chance to ride it at 15 degrees? If so I would like to know how it felt "seat of the pants" going to more advance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
Sadly not. When I got the bike home my first priority was to fix the brakes. The rear brake was straightforward but the twin-leading-shoe brake at the front was more tricky. Then, I didn’t want to take to the streets until I was confident that I could start it again if it should cut out when I was out. Then the country went into lockdown.
Yesterday, it started second kick. I ran it for a couple of minutes until my shed got a bit smokey, so I took it out into the garden. I then started it again ( this time first kick ) and rode it around the garden. It’s not a big space, so I was only able to try first and second gears, but it seemed to pull well ( given the limited space ) and the clutch appears to work fine. Which is all good.
I then stopped to celebrate with a cup of coffee, and after that tried to start the bike again, but it now refused to play. Not a pop or bang or anything just silence.

It’s all very weird.
Richard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts