MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so trying to decide between the two. My heart says TV but the new Tracer has so many nice features. Pros/cons from TV owners please.

·
Registered
590 Posts
There are so many comparisons between these two bikes. I actually looked at the Tracer, before I even knew there was a TV available near me. It was absolutely fine. Comfortable, decent chassis... But I found it completely 'utility'. Didn't raise my pulse a beat. Wife thought the same.

My TV isn't the SCS, so no comment on that, but it's definitely more soul-stirring. I find it even more comfortable (if a little too tall) and confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
110 Posts
15 years ago there was a similar question about comparing a KTM 950 Adventure to a V-Strom.

The V-Strom: Nice bike, comfortable, about a hundred horse, six speed, reasonable suspension and cheap too... This bike should do everything I need it to do. This is the bike I should buy.

Then you go sit on a KTM 950- and get an erection.

No regrets on my part with a 2016 TVL choice.

Observations: On a new bike, with warranty and a competent dealer nearby take the MV. You will be smiling every time you hit the road or think about hitting the road. I have no experience with the Yami but no doubt a fine triple. If you're tech savy, mechanically inclined and will be doing your own service - the MV dealer network is not that big of a deal. This forum has already documented the small niggling things that can come up and the members here are generous in sharing their knowledge.

GL with whichever path you pick

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had a BMW K1600GTL. Fantastic bike but big/lofty to move around. Been working on my Brutale for years so not worried about service. Already familiar with the Sachs suspension (BMW S1000r) and really enjoy the handling it provides. Having moved out of town with a 20 mile commute, I’d like some wind protection and heated grips for the winter months.
Definitely understand the passion side of things as the look really appeals to me. My only issue on the TVL will be the saddle height but have seen the posts on lowering.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The seat height is on the high side. There is a low seat option for the TVs. I have not seen or tried one but would look at that option before lowering if it were me.

I am inseam challenged (28" in my riding boots) but I have found the stock seat surprisingly comfortable and the shape seems to allow me to manage the height without much drama. YMMV.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am at a 29” inseam so great to hear. Not something I’d probably have to worry about right off the bat. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Here you can take a look of my impressions of comparing 2016 tracer an TVL. Obs tracer is much refined now, but main differences between them would be same I think

·
Registered
612 Posts
Hondas, Yamahas and Kawasaki make great bikes to get you to your destination. KTM, BMW and some others add some soul on the way. MV is on a another level and is such a joy to ride. I do ride mine daily, once to work, to lunch, back to work and then home on a newly paved winding road through sod fields and by the Etowah Indian mounds. The jaunts are the highlights of the day. All the best choosing.

Reactions: Teeps and Blacky

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Boriss read through your review and definitely appreciate your take between the two.
@terry feel the same. After 10 years of owning/upgrading my Brutale, still thrills my soul like no other bike.
Pretty much settled on the TVL. Now timing…

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just returned from a 4 day road trip on my 2015 TVL. I was with my friend on his brand new Tracer 9gt. I spent some time riding it. Its a very nice bike. But no TVL. Its wind protection is great. Quiet motor. Feels very light, suspension is very nice. But MV I think is FAR superior. The Tracer has a power surge at about 6500 rpm. Seat sucks. But the 2 bikes are very similar. The tracer just seems like a model on a budget. At a 50mph hi gear roll on my TVL leaves him behind. After that he did not want a drag race. So I am not sure what the out come would be. But I think I would beat him. but it would be close. The MV suspension is far superior. It feels so planted. The MV feels heavier even though its lighter. Hi speed stability is much better on the MV. Don't get me wrong, the Tracer is a very good bike. $8K less than the MV. But fit and finish on the Tracer is not impressive. Many people on the forum talk about problems with the TVL. With 23k miles, I have only had a couple issues. Nothing terrible. Just get the MV. Its better. And BEAUTIFUL!! So glad I have it!!

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no doubt about beauty, the MV steals my gaze every time. Appreciate the input on the comparison. Great deals out there right now on previous models. Only concern now is how it will serve two up. My wife still reminds me of how much she misses going out on the bike. Sounds like the TVL might be up for the task. My debate has now shifted to Multistrada vs TVL. Just for more two up comfort. As soon as we get moved into the new house, I’ll be getting more serious. Thanks MV family.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I have found that my TV is a fine bike for a pillion, and the pre-load is easy to adjust before and after. The catch is that as it is quite a tall bike, it can be tricky for a pillion to get on and off of if pillion is wearing leathers or something tight. I imagine a Multstrada would be more powerful, and I believe that an English member who owned a TV sold it and bought an MS for pan-Euro pillioning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts