MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

So, I own a 2018 Dragster RR in yellow and black. Bought it new here in Houston, TX. Traded in my 2015 Triumph 675 Street triple for the MV. Four months later my MV dealer shut with no warning. We have no local parts, service or dealer support. My bike has 4000 miles, and is running superb. Today I took it out for a fast run and had a ball. Love this machine, I really do. And I am part Italian, so some DNA there supporting my heritage.

Looking seriously at trading my MV for a new Triumph 765 Street triple RS. Been watching reviews, talking to owners on Triumph forum, and pondering. The Triumph, I think-- is a worthy replacement for my MV. Might have to buy lower seat? Otherwise, the Triumph has a lot of pluses. Biggest plus for me, since I am not a mechanic: confidence that if there is a mechanical or warranty issue: I am ok. With the MV: two warranty issues I had to pay out of pocket (failed rear blinker replace with tail tidy, and failed rear brake master cylinder). Had both issues fixed by my Moto Guzzi mechanic (no longer a dealer)-- he did the work as I am a long term customer. The MV warranty catch: has to be approved by a MV authorized dealer. The only MV dealer is in Dallas, a long way from here.

Options for the MV maintenance-- locate parts from perhaps Monkey Moto in Dallas, TX-- see if I can find a maintenance manual, and then see if I can get an independent bike shop like Motorcycles Unlimited, or my Guzzi mechanic to do the work. Lots of moving parts. Not cheap, and my confidence?

At 4000 miles, I think my MV could use a close inspection, oil/filter change, coolant change, and likely a new battery. Might be something else? Who knows. Are special MV tools required? I have no idea, again I am not a mechanic.

My biggest concern: a major issue with my MV happens. And only option transport bike to Dallas, pay shipping, long wait, very expensive. I do have one year of warranty left, but no idea if MV actually honors warranty work.

I have not acted yet. Damn tough decision. Financially, well...I am comfortably retired. All I want to do is ride, and not worry about mechanicals.

I see no hope of MV ever opening another Houston, TX dealer: our economy is crashed due to the virus, and even more due to the oil industry bust. The Triumph dealer I am looking at is long standing, has a great reputation, not too far from my house, and I note has a MV sitting in their used bike section. I note several used MVs at local dealers: others throwing in the towel too.

I probably will ponder a bit more, no rush. Not the best time to be trading bikes anyway with virus lurking, and TX "reopening" and many people very careless on masks, etc.

Thoughts? Advice?

·
Registered
371 Posts
So, I own a 2018 Dragster RR in yellow and black. Bought it new here in Houston, TX. Traded in my 2015 Triumph 675 Street triple for the MV. Four months later my MV dealer shut with no warning. We have no local parts, service or dealer support. My bike has 4000 miles, and is running superb. Today I took it out for a fast run and had a ball. Love this machine, I really do. And I am part Italian, so some DNA there supporting my heritage.
Thoughts? Advice?
Houston, do you have a problem? Sorry, I could not resist that. I don't think that you necessarily do.

I dunno if this is true, but I heard the Australian distributors for MV, that have been quite successful I think, were getting involved in the US, and that sooner or later things would be as they should vis a viz dealers? Mind, how long is that.

Working on a bike yourself requires all the necessary tools, and for more complex work, preferably a hydraulic bench so one doesn't have to kneel down. It could be the beginning of an interesting learning experience. Most of the periodic maintenance stuff is fairly easy, like oil and filter changes, chain etc, & should not be too challenging if you apply yourself and take your time to work it out. Consider that there is plenty of help available here on the forum, a lot of people who seriously know what they are doing. You do not rely on the MV for transport, and have another bike if sorting any issues that MAY arise takes longer than hoped, so keeping it may be a good option. I do love Triumphs though.

If one of the reasons you are thinking about trading the MV is the idea of working on it, the warranty will be over in a year, hopefully you will have no more issues, and I have no doubt that a place like Houston harbours some very good mechanics. The city I live in has a population of about 230,000, and my local bike shop is an absolute ripper, there are frequently MVs there being worked on, & they are not an MV dealer. If it became necessary for me to take one of my MVs to them, I have confidence they would resolve any issues for me. Because they care, see themselves as a part of the Hobart motorcycling community, and are competent.

It is, when it is all said and done, just a motorcycle with an internal combustion engine, like all the others. Any competent mechanic should be able to service it, you might have to source and supply parts, but maybe soon enough you will have a dealer.

If in doubt, you could always just buy the Triumph as well? Sorry, old habits...

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
. . . If in doubt, you could always just buy the Triumph as well? Sorry, old habits...
This could be the wisest solution to this conundrum, even if only in the short term.

I am not sure that an MV can be 'replaced' by a Triumph; just as a Ferrari cannot be replaced by a Chevrolet. I think a lot of the decision-making might hinge upon emotional attachment to the machine, for if really 'love' our bikes we will always find reasons to keep it. Certainly I accept the practical consideration of the fear of another warranty claim, but should we conduct life on the basis of what 'might' happen?

The Pirelli Dragster is a special bike. The Triumph is a good bike. Similar words - major difference. You might be guided by members' posts, but the final decision will come from your heart.

Just to qualify, I am not critical of the Triumph. I own a 2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2, a sister of the Street Triple. They ride well, sound great, and offer a very good power to weight ratio. They do have a reasonable build quality and also, in the case of the Street Triple, hold value well.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for kind comments. Right now, I am doing nothing. There is truth: yes, MV is "uniquely special". Perhaps I am just lazy. Perhaps I am just frustrated and bored with this damn virus thing. I admit I am still pissed at my old MV/Guzzi dealer shutting after I bought two bikes from him. Riding is one of my few joys left in life right now. Interesting comment from a Triumph owner, particularly the Daytona.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The brutal reality (no pun intended) is that your MV is probably worth a lot more to you than it will be to someone else. If you can financially swing the scenario of keeping the MV and buying the Triumph, that's a "no brainer."

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
I feel your pain. My closest dealer/mechanic is 400 miles away. I don't let that deter me though. I can do most of the work myself. And I have a pretty decent indie euro mechanic here. One who was able to fix my saggy rear brake on my '19 800RR when I was not able to. Big recall or service items would make it a road trip SE to Phoenix. But those have been only once with the the two MV's I've had over 3 years.

·
Registered
371 Posts
This could be the wisest solution to this conundrum, even if only in the short term.

I am not sure that an MV can be 'replaced' by a Triumph; just as a Ferrari cannot be replaced by a Chevrolet.

The Pirelli Dragster is a special bike. The Triumph is a good bike. Similar words - major difference. You might be guided by members' posts, but the final decision will come from your heart.

Just to qualify, I am not critical of the Triumph. I own a 2020 Daytona 765 Moto 2, a sister of the Street Triple. They ride well, sound great, and offer a very good power to weight ratio. They do have a reasonable build quality and also, in the case of the Street Triple, hold value well.
View attachment 477795
As a Triumph lover I am not keen on them being compared to a GM product, more an Aston Martin old chap, what? That new bike of yours is a stunner.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I only just noticed, that lovely bike it is parked next to a Citroen, Vive le Citroen, with what appears to be your initials. Almost makes up for all those Hondas.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could be my best option is to contact my original MV dealer. He is still in Houston area, and he is doing maintenance. However, he is "reservation only", and a long ride across Houston to visit. Got a positive recommendation about his mechanical skills from another local MV owner. It will be complicated as I do not want to use Uber to ride home, so I have to get my wife involved as dropping bike off necessary. Bike at 4000 miles, no current issues. Summer heat coming. I will meditate on solution, but I do want to care for this magnificent machine, and keep reliability up. Thanks for comments.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good news, my original Houston, TX dealer is still doing maintenance. Got a service appointment this Saturday. Will be happy to have my Dragster RR cared for, its due for fluids refresh, inspection, maybe replace battery. He still has original diagnostic equipment. Long ride across Houston, but worth it. I will bring him a bottle of good Scotch as thanks, plus pay the bill, of course. Wife will tail me there, and take me home, leave bike as long as needed. No Uber with virus lurking. Glad to figure this out finally.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Splendid, glad you got it all sorted, it is a good feeling. Sooo, you gonna buy the Triumph as well? Just kiddin'
I hope the previous dealer operator is a competent mechanic-- think so. Triumph? Well, I do like the Speed Twin--possibly trade my Moto Guzzi for a stronger twin with lots of torque? Yes, it has crossed my mind. We will see.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Dear Lucydad,
How was your recent MV services w local guy? Please share your exp and recommendations.

Good news, my original Houston, TX dealer is still doing maintenance. Got a service appointment this Saturday. Will be happy to have my Dragster RR cared for, its due for fluids refresh, inspection, maybe replace battery. He still has original diagnostic equipment. Long ride across Houston, but worth it. I will bring him a bottle of good Scotch as thanks, plus pay the bill, of course. Wife will tail me there, and take me home, leave bike as long as needed. No Uber with virus lurking. Glad to figure this out finally.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Brian Kinnear performed a perfect maintenance on my Dragster RR: oil/filter change, discovered rounded off filter screws and replaced, bled rear brake carefully, chain check/adjust/lube, topped off coolant and checked for any recalls, test ride, overall inspection. His service work really gives me peace of mind as he has the original MV diagnostic set up, tools and knowledge to do superb work. Thoughts of replacement bikes have gone poof, although if we had a Houston, TX MV dealer I would consider the new 1L Brutale.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
if we had a Houston, TX MV dealer I would consider the new 1L Brutale.
Turned down a new B4 Brutale from Monkey Moto in Dallas... no Houston dealer, not interested. $31K is a lot for a bike without a local dealer... MV lost a potential sale.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts