MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I had my first bike for 4 years, a CBR500R, and I was pretty happy with it, never had any issues, but had to sell it when moving from San Diego, CA, to Denver, CO. So, I was looking at the bike section on FB marketplace, and I saw it... Never heard of MV Agusta before, honestly, but, it was love on first sight. I just knew that I want it, like I never wanted anything else in my entire life (well, except maybe when I was back in Europe, I was dreaming of an Alfa Romeo 159 or GT with a busso engine. Italians have something with design). The ad was from Eurocycles in Las Vegas, because they are shipping nationwide. I have asked local dealership if they can get any, but, after more than 1 week without even a response if they can get one for me or not, and how long it would take, I just bought an airplane ticket to Vegas to take it for a test drive. Initially I saw the Brutale, but after that, I saw the dragster, particularly the red one. They didn't have a Dragster or Brutale in Rosso for a test ride, just the RR, and damn I was smiling under the helmet the whole time I rode that thing. It's so unfortunate that there is no RR in Rosso color scheme, I would have gotten that one for sure.
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Light

I just hit 300 miles on the odometer today, and was able to open it up to 8k RPM, 6k before that according to the owner's manual recommendation. And it is only 2k more, but what a difference does it make. Can't wait to get to 600 miles to be able to open it up to 11k, where max power lives :)
I do not like that it is jerky at low speed, in 1st gear, especially when you get off the throttle, or when you open it up a little from 0. I have to use the clutch at least a little to smooth it out while in traffic. Will this will affect clutch life? I am going to work and getting off work half an hour later, just to avoid rush hour.
Also, second day when I rode it home, 10 miles, and not so bad traffic, but it was really hot outside, and after I shut off the engine, I tried to turn it on 5 minutes later, in neutral, and it would choke while in idle. If I was turning on the throttle, it was fine, just when idle. During the next couple of days, it would choke on me also when coming to a stop and pulling in the clutch all the way in, so, again, while idle. I hope it is just higher tolerances since it is a new engine? I got prepared before buying it that I will have a lot of issue with it, just did not expect from the 2nd day of owning it. :) That is why I got the 6-year extended warranty. Would not have gotten it if it wasn't an exclusive Italian brand, but, I though that for $1600, even having to use it at least once for a major issue, it would cover the cost. Hope they won't find reasons to not cover any defects I might encounter down the road.
I am having the first service soon, which they told me will cost around $450 o_O, and that is without a valve adjustment. I have heard rumors of $2k for the major services... I wonder if there is any small chance that the ECM will have an update which could smoothen out the jerky low speed throttle. If not, did anyone try to use a boosterplug for it? BoosterPlug MV Agusta Dragster 800 (2017 - 2020). Is it safe? They advertise that it should improve the behavior a lot. I just don't want to make any alteration at the moment, so they do not have any reason to deny my warranty in case of an issue.

Registered
Other than a exhaust valve error, my 2019 Dragster RC has been reliable as any other bike i have owned currently at 14,200 miles.

$450 for the first service 馃槵

I paid $150 for my 1st service. Should be nothing more than a oil change and going over the bike making sure bolts are tight and everything is good. Don't see how that would cost $450 unless they have really high labor cost and it takes 4 hours to do the service.

Old Wing Nut
Welcome to the family !!! I know how you felt when you saw that MV...same thing when I first spotted a Brutale at Cannery Row during a MotoGP race at Laguna Seca years ago.....lust at first site and no regrets after purchase.
I think your bike will run better once you have given it a chance to breathe..... Go ahead and take it to red-line a couple of times. The engine was run to red-line on the dyno at the factory already. You just don't want to hold her under a heavy load for long periods.
Are you living in Denver?

Registered
Other than a exhaust valve error, my 2019 Dragster RC has been reliable as any other bike i have owned currently at 14,200 miles.

I paid $150 for my 1st service. Should be nothing more than a oil change and going over the bike making sure bolts are tight and everything is good. Don't see how that would cost $450 unless they have really high labor cost and it takes 4 hours to do the service.
TJ - have you had the dealership do anything on the EV error? I have the same situation on my '19... will be waiting on parts for an actuator replacement, etc.

Registered
Welcome. Still remember first time I saw a Brutale back in 2006. Couldn鈥檛 get over how beautiful it was and dreamed of the day.

Reactions: esq'z me

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Maybe I should come to Florida to do the first service :D I have emailed the dealership and asked for an itemized quote, so i can see what's in there so expensive, but its been 2 days and they didnt reply yet. From what i see from the owner's manual, things I can not do myself:
check ECU mapping
check throttle control operation(with TEXA diagnostic sw)
idk which one is the "rear sprocket spring drive", it has to be tightened
All the other nuts that idk what torque is proper for them, since it is not provided in the owner's manual.
By the way, anyone knows where i can find the service manual for it?

Welcome to the family !!! I know how you felt when you saw that MV...same thing when I first spotted a Brutale at Cannery Row during a MotoGP race at Laguna Seca years ago.....lust at first site and no regrets after purchase.
I think your bike will run better once you have given it a chance to breathe..... Go ahead and take it to red-line a couple of times. The engine was run to red-line on the dyno at the factory already. You just don't want to hold her under a heavy load for long periods.
Are you living in Denver?
Thank you. I think i took it up to 10-11k a couple of times, cant really tell without looking on the dashboard, but for sure more than 8k :) i have a little over 1 week left until i hit 600 miles, so, i can wait to properly enjoy it, without teasing me for a little revving it up:)
I do live in Denver, if anyone is around hmu, would love to ride with you guys.

Welcome. Still remember first time I saw a Brutale back in 2006. Couldn鈥檛 get over how beautiful it was and dreamed of the day.
Do you also just look at it and admire after you finish riding, before going inside the house, or it is just me? :D

Registered
if you play around with the custom settings on the dash you can dial out some of the jerkiness. Try the following

Power Mode: Custom
Traction Control: 1
Gas Sensitivity: Normal
Engine Brake: Sport
Maximum Torque: Sport
Engine Response: Slow
RPM Limiter: Sport

With the RPM limit on Sport the down quickshift will work as well

Registered
[
TJ - have you had the dealership do anything on the EV error? I have the same situation on my '19... will be waiting on parts for an actuator replacement, etc.
I just removed the cables and installed a Healtech exhaust valve eliminator myself.

Old Wing Nut
Do you also just look at it and admire after you finish riding, before going inside the house, or it is just me? :D
Yes, Yes I do ..... ;)

Registered
Every time I get off whether walking into the office or home, Sophia gets my lustful stare.

Registered
[

I just removed the cables and installed a Healtech exhaust valve eliminator myself.
Thanks. I've disconnected the cables on mine at the stock solenoid but left it plugged up until I hear back from Healtech. They've apparently pulled the MV part for the 2018+ bikes. Hopefully mine will not error with the solenoid still there.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
if you play around with the custom settings on the dash you can dial out some of the jerkiness. Try the following

Power Mode: Custom
Traction Control: 1
Gas Sensitivity: Normal
Engine Brake: Sport
Maximum Torque: Sport
Engine Response: Slow
RPM Limiter: Sport

With the RPM limit on Sport the down quickshift will work as well
Hm, thanks, i will give that a try tomorrow

Yes, Yes I do ..... ;)
Every time I get off whether walking into the office or home, Sophia gets my lustful stare.
High five. First nights after I got her, actually I had a weird dream, that I was hugging my wife in bed, and she had the shape of the Dragster. I swear I'm not a weirdo 馃ぃ

Old Wing Nut
I still give Gina and Lola a pat on the but and a loving word whenever I walk past..... Gina is now 13 years old, but just as beautiful as when she was new. Lola is 17 and still so very sexy..... They demand my attention and I happily give it.

Registered
Thanks. I've disconnected the cables on mine at the stock solenoid but left it plugged up until I hear back from Healtech. They've apparently pulled the MV part for the 2018+ bikes. Hopefully mine will not error with the solenoid still there.
Hi mate
(By solenoid I assume you mean the servo/motor at the front of the bike). Have you tried it with the cables disconnected yet?
Unfortunately I have a feeling you'll find it'll still throw up an error if the cables are disconnected, even if you leave the servo plugged in.
Otherwise everyone would just do that and no-one would buy a healtech.

Registered
Hi mate
(By solenoid I assume you mean the servo/motor at the front of the bike). Have you tried it with the cables disconnected yet?
Unfortunately I have a feeling you'll find it'll still throw up an error if the cables are disconnected, even if you leave the servo plugged in.
Otherwise everyone would just do that and no-one would buy a healtech.
I disconnected the two valve cables at the solenoid for starters. I'm hoping it won't throw a code with the solenoid still electrically plugged in... will update back. Healtech apparently has pulled the part for the MVs here in the US. I guess I'll go through the dealership for warranty replace if this thing still acts up. Certainly sounds better with them disconnected =)

Registered
Yeah, thats what I'm saying. (It's not really a solenoid - on/off - its more of a servo, an electric motor and some gears inside it). With cables disconnected pretty sure it will throw up a code unfortunately, plugged in or not (which frustratingly means you can't see most of the rest of the functions on your dash until it's cleared - which I guess you've discovered)
I think it somehow knows what position the exhaust valve is in, flips out trying to pull cables with no effect, and throws the code.

If yours keeps stum - happy days. Mine didn't.
Just don't expect it to be that easy. Like I said, if you could just disconnect and ditch the cables and be done with it, there would be no such thing as healtech.

I have been there. Aware that the healtech was a bit touch and go for 2018 and later models, so next cheapest option for me was a second hand servo from a nice chap on here (new one is mega-bucks).

Old Wing Nut
The exhaust valve actuator is a servo motor that incorporates a position sensor. The ECU sends signals to the motor to rotate, pulling the valve closed or releasing to allow the valve to open under its own spring pressure. It is a push-pull cable arrangement, but the valve is under spring pressure to open.
The sensor tells the ECU where the pulley is positioned so it knows how far open or closed the valve is. The ECU receives no signal from the valve itself.
This basic system is used on many different bikes, and has been for a long time.
The original purpose was for exhaust back pressure tuning for performance...exhaust valves have been used in WSBK and MotoGP bikes for that purpose.
Now they are mostly used for noise emission regulation, although there is still a side benefit of tuning the exhaust for cam overlap losses at lower rpms.
The actual servo motor and position sensor are quite reliable. It is the cables that generally cause problems, either through mis-adjustment or from seizing/binding preventing proper movement of the valve. And those things can cause damage to the plastic drive gears in the servo unit (actuator is the correct name).
The fault code occurs when the ECU does not see the valve stopping at the expected full open signal, or not stopping at the expected fully closed signal.
The ECU programming is what will determine if it throws a code with the cables disconnected or not. Different models and brands use different schemes.
Healtech should be able to produce a plug-in module to trick the ECU....but maybe they just don't have enough MV bikes to test, and MV keeps changing the programming from model to model and year to year.

Reactions: silentservice703

Registered
That was the cause of my failure, cables had too much play in them, twisted in the holder at exhaust valve end and wedged it stopping the valve from turning.
Plastic gears in the "actuator" (馃檪) then chewed themselves up trying to force the valve to move.

Checking the adjustment on those cables is now on the list of things to check every now and then. They need a little bit of play in them but not too much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts