MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, recently I noticed small drop of oil on the ground and the drain plug, I cleaned everywhere to located the leak. The oil is leaking from water pump weep. When I drive the bike there is no leak, however when the bike is on stand after few days I can see oil on the drain plug. The bike has only 1000 miles. There is no mv agusta dealer near me to check it or fix it for me. Is this a big issue? Should I stop riding the bike? Is it something that I may be able to fix by replacing some parts. I would greatly appreciate any help I can get.

·
Super Moderator
2,684 Posts
Welcome @Pejman - I've moved your first post the New Members section and suggest you post up a bit more about yourself, your bike and update your profile to tell us where you are on the planet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome @Pejman - I've moved your first post the New Members section and suggest you post up a bit more about yourself, your bike and update your profile to tell us where you are on the planet.
Thank you for your guidance, I've updated my profile

·
Vendor
5,567 Posts
It needs to be fixed.Is the sump plug tight.First thing to check.
If it is tight you will need to remove the sump plug,drain the oil and fit a new sump plug washer and tension.
Otherwise ring the dealer,show them photos and get them to fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Mine is a 2012 and had that issue since new. Dealer changed the o-ring on the pump after I reported it and it still did it (they have to drop the sump so not a quick fix). Still had the same slight weepage. I stopped worrying about it now and just ride.

·
Wing Nut
21,263 Posts
Welcome to the family @Pejman !!! You must have the only MV Agusta on Guam ??

Oil from the water pump weep hole indicates the seal on the pump drive inside the engine sump is compromised. A very small leak is not such a big deal, just messy and not proper on a new bike!!

But it does need to be corrected. Since you have no dealer to take it to you are going to need to get the manuals for the engine and either do it yourself or find a competent technician to do it for you.
Find the triple engine manuals here....the engines are all basically the same:
Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta

By the way, I deleted your duplicate post

·
Super Moderator
23,189 Posts
Man-o-man, I hate it when I develop a post and then forget to actually post it!

As Ed says, the 3 cylinder engines are all basically the same and have the difficult design of having the water pump and oil pump commonly driven and IN the oil sump.
I have unpleasant opinions about that.

However, there is another possibility to the issue that still requires dropping the sump pan...which is a PITA.
The "weep hole" is actually the bottom of an extension pipe that has two o-rings...o-rings can leak. See the attached picture. Red circles.
I don't believe you are talking about a leak at the sump plug...red arrow.

I would think that failure of the water pump seals is unlikely at this young age and mileage. However, I do think that aligning that pipe and o-rings is problematic and could be a morel likely source of weepage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Mine is a 2012 and had that issue since new. Dealer changed the o-ring on the pump after I reported it and it still did it (they have to drop the sump so not a quick fix). Still had the same slight weepage. I stopped worrying about it now and just ride.
Thank you so much for you reply, I feel better now that I can drive it.
It needs to be fixed.Is the sump plug tight.First thing to check.
If it is tight you will need to remove the sump plug,drain the oil and fit a new sump plug washer and tension.
Otherwise ring the dealer,show them photos and get them to fix the problem.
Hi, thank you for your reply, the sump plug is tight and good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for your input, I feel much better now that its not a serious problem or safety concerns and I can still drive it. I will call the manufacturer to order the o-ring and change it later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the family @Pejman !!! You must have the only MV Agusta on Guam ??

Oil from the water pump weep hole indicates the seal on the pump drive inside the engine sump is compromised. A very small leak is not such a big deal, just messy and not proper on a new bike!!

But it does need to be corrected. Since you have no dealer to take it to you are going to need to get the manuals for the engine and either do it yourself or find a competent technician to do it for you.
Find the triple engine manuals here....the engines are all basically the same:
Team Double 3 Racing | MV Agusta

By the way, I deleted your duplicate post
Thank you for your reply and information, yes this is
the only bike here in Guam. I will call the mv agusta to order the seals.
I guess I'm going to ride today since this little leak is not a big issue. 🙂

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man-o-man, I hate it when I develop a post and then forget to actually post it!

As Ed says, the 3 cylinder engines are all basically the same and have the difficult design of having the water pump and oil pump commonly driven and IN the oil sump.
I have unpleasant opinions about that.

However, there is another possibility to the issue that still requires dropping the sump pan...which is a PITA.
The "weep hole" is actually the bottom of an extension pipe that has two o-rings...o-rings can leak. See the attached picture. Red circles.
I don't believe you are talking about a leak at the sump plug...red arrow.

View attachment 483108

I would think that failure of the water pump seals is unlikely at this young age and mileage. However, I do think that aligning that pipe and o-rings is problematic and could be a morel likely source of weepage.
Thank you so much for your information, the leak is not from the sump and it is from the weep hole. I'm planning to order all the seals, pipe and the o-ring and try to fix it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I don't know if this is related. But have you checked the oil level ? Cause that extension pipe, perhaps the top should be at a higher level than the oil level. I remember a time, when my mechanic filled my B3 with more than 3 lts, and the bike started to bleed oil from everywhere 🤣

·
Wing Nut
21,263 Posts
I don't know if this is related. But have you checked the oil level ? Cause that extension pipe, perhaps the top should be at a higher level than the oil level. I remember a time, when my mechanic filled my B3 with more than 3 lts, and the bike started to bleed oil from everywhere 🤣
That pipe is not open inside the sump...it is the weep hole passage for the water pump. High oil level will not have any affect.

·
Registered
91 Posts
That pipe is not open inside the sump...it is the weep hole passage for the water pump. High oil level will not have any affect.
Since it's bleeding oil, it's open somehow(because of o-rings, etc). Perhaps an oil excesses, can result in filtration from that pipe. It happened to me, in the right side of the engine, near the clutch. 🤷🏽‍♂️

1 - 14 of 14 Posts