MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I was riding my 2018 F4 RR and while in fourth gear the engine lost power and at the same time a huge cloud of smoke came out the rear exhaust. I immediately pulled over off the road and shut the bike off. The bike only has 1800 miles on it. The bike was running at normal temperature, had the right amount of oil in it and it's not a blown head gasket, and there's no oil leaks at all coming from engine cases. I'm guessing either a valve sunk or maybe timing chain tensioner fail. The engine is obviously going to have to be opened up to figure out the problem. I'm out on Long Island, New York and was wondering if anyone knows of a great MV Agusta mechanic/ engine rebuilder within a few hundred miles of Long Island. There used to be a MV Agusta dealer in Nassau County, but I was told they're no longer a dealer, just parts only. I want someone who knows these engines and specializes in them. Any help and reccomendations would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I know an MV mechanic in Hudson Valley. That's the closest I know to you.

·
Old Wing Nut
21,954 Posts
Very curious .... 4 cylinder MVs are pretty reliable. Please let us know what you find. You may want to contact MV USA and let them know and ask advise on who to contact. Very low mileage, and doesn't that bike have a 3 year warranty?.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very curious .... 4 cylinder MVs are pretty reliable. Please let us know what you find. You may want to contact MV USA and let them know and ask advise on who to contact. Very low mileage, and doesn't that bike have a 3 year warranty?.
I spoke with MV Agusta in Italy this morning and was told my bike only has a 2 year warranty. I called a local MV Agusta dealer and was told the 2018 F4 RR only came with a 2 year warranty, I also thought it was 3 years unlimited milage as it says on MV Agusta's website, supposedly thats only for 2021 models? The local dealer service dept. seems to think it's a blown head gasket since oil is burning out the exhaust. I figured it wasn't a head gasket since there's no water in the oil at all. The dealers service manager also told me he wasn't surprised that this happened even knowing it has low miles. His exact words were" MV Agusta's are not made for endurance, they're made to look at!" and laughed. I'm not happy at all!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I spoke with MV Agusta in Italy this morning and was told my bike only has a 2 year warranty. I called a local MV Agusta dealer and was told the 2018 F4 RR only came with a 2 year warranty, I also thought it was 3 years unlimited milage as it says on MV Agusta's website, supposedly thats only for 2021 models? The local dealer service dept. seems to think it's a blown head gasket since oil is burning out the exhaust. I figured it wasn't a head gasket since there's no water in the oil at all. The dealers service manager also told me he wasn't surprised that this happened even knowing it has low miles. His exact words were" MV Agusta's are not made for endurance, they're made to look at!" and laughed. I'm not happy at all!
That is outrageous

·
Premium Member
2,278 Posts
Fuck him!

·
Old Wing Nut
21,954 Posts
My suggestion: Find another dealer with more knowledge of MV and a better attitude, then contact MV USA....

Reactions: revhead1957

·
Registered
283 Posts
Damn! So sorry to hear about your problem, especially with so few miles. My 2007 F4 broke the cam drive sprocket bolts and snapped the cam chain, causing multiple bent valves. Fortunately, I do my own wrenching. Definitely find a good shop to do the teardown. Sounds like you might have dropped a valve and put a hole in a piston to get that much oil smoke in the exhaust. New engine time, sadly.

Eric

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you to all that have responded. I've been in contact with MV Agusta in Italy and MV Agusta USA, and can honestly say everyone in corporate has been really amazing in regards to my situation.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Not sure your problem is related to mine. I have the same bike (mine is 2017, same color n model), and had a similar metal flakes in my oil plug when I changed the oil. My bike has 8k miles. I purchased the bike used, had only 6k miles when I purchased and I changed the oil twice and discovered metal flakes like what you have shown to us. My bike is currently at the MV dealer shop and waiting for damaged cam. Long story short, took in for 7500 miles service and the mechanic discovered one of cam is flaking off/damaged and need to be replaced with a new cam. So if I were you take the bike back and ask them to check the cam, engine parts while your bike is still under warranty, don’t wait, check all engine components as yearly as you can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts