MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I'm back again. Went for a ride friday, after changing radiator hose to samco brand. Started bike to look for leaks and make sure radiator was full. Warmed it up for 1-15 minutes and then shut it off to cool down. Only had to add maybe 1/2 cup to top off the radiator.
Next day, Friday Igor for a ride, out north to Overton, 72 miles, nice north shore lake ride. All is good. 4pm go to warm the bike up to ride back home and its making a huffing sound, like a exhaust leak. It's kind of cold then it goes away after a couple minutes after its warmed up. I start heading home, on a street that's 35pmh, 1st gear. It starts sounding like a lawn mower engine without a exhaust, fluff, fluff, not sharp and crisp. Pull over thing it might be the stupid exhaust valve like my brutale is having issues with. Shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes.
Start it back up and it's still sounding like an exhaust leak but I can't hear anything on either side os the fairing or see anything looking in the vents. Then I start to hear a clack, and it slowly gets louder sounding like a hammer banging on an anvil so I shut it off and push it back to my friends place. Tuesday morning I'm loading it up on a trailer and taking it in. Now I've read most of the threads on dropped valves and the tsb service bulletin for the 2017 models. Has anyone had issues with any newer bikes?
Sc projects exhaust
MWR air filter
Rapidbike evo fueling box
When I bought the bike the previous owner said he had the dealership "tune" the bike. He works at the dealership. The bike felt a little rough and lean when first starting up, lower rpms were kind of rough, after the fueling box that went away. Used to have to restart and play with the gas a little to keep it running before it was really warmed up. Sorry for the long post but just want to make sure I put in all the loose ends, bike bits and parts and what was going on when it crapped the bed.

·
Registered
609 Posts
was running great, turned it off....Then bam, bike is missing?

Personally i am not a fan of piggyback fuel units, as they fail, or have issues with connectors, and they can have some serious impacts on the bike.
But you say it was running fine, and then upon starting up was sounding "off"? I am taking it there was no malfunction or other lights on the dash?
I would be curious about this tune the dealer did?
Exhaust should have been disabled?
How does the clutch feel?
Blowing any smoke or water vapor from the exhaust?
have you checked the oil yet?

·
Administrator
18,872 Posts
A hammer hitting an anvil....metallic sounds? That isn't good. Dropped valves usually happen when the bike is at higher rpm, not near idle.

How does the oil look? You are transporting to the dealer? Let us know what they find.

If you are working on it yourself, first step is pull spark plugs and inspect. Second step is compression test..... and then drain the oil and inspect.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I was riding in first gear about 30-35 it started to sound like an exhaust leak' fluff fluff pulled over and revved it a couple times then decided to shut if off. Waited 2-3 minutes then started it back up' still sounded like an exhaust leak' funny exhaust sound, sounded soft, not the crisp sound of the pipe. After a few minutes from starting the pinging, metallic smacking sound slowly got louder then I shut it off. The fueling box is plugged into a few different things' if one of the plugs wasn't making contact then the bike wouldn't start. The bikes ecu wouldn't have any signal when it went thru its test on start up. There are no codes or errors on the dash. Engine light didn't come on. Nothing, dash was normal. No power and the metal clacking sound with the funny exhaust leak sound. If I had a pair I would make a video but I'm afraid of making something worse.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now it could be the fuel box, I guess it could be a jacket up spark plug or wire. I would like to think a bad injector or spark plug wire would cause an error code or something like that.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Now it could be the fuel box, I guess it could be a jacket up spark plug or wire. I would like to think a bad injector or spark plug wire would cause an error code or something like that.

Not to bash on rapidbike, as it truly transformed my 1199S Panigale, but at the same time every so often it would do some weird stuff (missing/loss of power) that was not able to be diagnosed with a tech tool.. Never did figure that out as it was far and few between, but never had what your ride is sounding like.. are you going to check the oil, or anything else before i t heads back to the dealer?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't checked the oil, the bike has been out at a friends place since friday, I'm about to drive out and load it up on a trailer. its about 1 1/2 hour up the 15 north. the last service was done by the dealer, the 5000 mile service. never had any drips of oil, leaks or spots on the ground. when i hear anything after dropping it off i'll let ya'll know, try and get some pics if i can.

·
Registered
825 Posts
does the rapid bike module control ignition too?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A little bit of an update, Tech took the head off, head or heads? i never looked. anyway the valves were fine, oil on top of the left piston, oil all over the spark plug i guess, looks like the rings came apart or broke. i was told they had to call the motherland for advice or direction to go any further so they can get paid for the labor. still waiting on the "special" tool for the exhaust valve pain in the a$$ for my brutale. so if the rings were gone that would explain the exhaust leak sound, the different exhaust note cause it was blowing back into the motor. wonder where the pieces of the rings went, if they came apart? Tech said MV only uses two rings. i think i;m gonna have a few tonight.

·
Registered
609 Posts
That sucks to hear especially on a newer motor with "updates"... things like this make me want to get rid of the MV and buy another triumph triple.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Im not an expert. But if the ring got destroyed....friction to high against cylinder wall?
Wrong oil that didnt create a smooth enough up and down movement.?

Faulty ring unit?

Bummer man. :(
Hope she gets a quick repair.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks Black gold saw, the dealer performed the 5000 mile service right after i bought it so i would assume right oil, check everything out service. left cylinder piston rings, said the other two looked fine, no galling on the surface they could see. Had one ride on it since i put the luimoto seat cover and gel pad on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Little up date.
i guess the exhaust valve on the center cylinder dropped making marks on top of the piston, they don't know if the spring broke or the valve guide had an issue, once again they are waiting on the mother land for advice and direction. i asked about bits and pieces of the rings from the left cylinder dropping down into the motor and they are not sure or how far they are going to tear things apart. i can kind of understand having to wait on mv so they get paid for the warranty work, but.

With the extended warranty i did get a loaner bike, BMW GS R1200

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Little up date.
i guess the exhaust valve on the center cylinder dropped making marks on top of the piston, they don't know if the spring broke or the valve guide had an issue, once again they are waiting on the mother land for advice and direction. i asked about bits and pieces of the rings from the left cylinder dropping down into the motor and they are not sure or how far they are going to tear things apart. i can kind of understand having to wait on mv so they get paid for the warranty work, but.

With the extended warranty i did get a loaner bike, BMW GS R1200
With all the aftermarket items on your bike, how did you manage to get the warranty honored? Do you have an aftermarket warranty?

Normally they take one look and if they spot something aftermarket relating to the engine like aftermarket exhaust, they reject the claim. Yours even had an aftermarket fueling unit as well.

Fingers crossed for you as it might take a while before you are riding your bike again, hopefully not at your cost. Enjoy the GS!

·
Registered
609 Posts
With all the aftermarket items on your bike, how did you manage to get the warranty honored? Do you have an aftermarket warranty?

Normally they take one look and if they spot something aftermarket relating to the engine like aftermarket exhaust, they reject the claim. Yours even had an aftermarket fueling unit as well.

Fingers crossed for you as it might take a while before you are riding your bike again, hopefully not at your cost. Enjoy the GS!

If you have a dealer install said options and tune it, they typically will cover it. At least any reputable dealer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
thanks Black gold saw, the dealer performed the 5000 mile service right after i bought it so i would assume right oil, check everything out service. left cylinder piston rings, said the other two looked fine, no galling on the surface they could see. Had one ride on it since i put the luimoto seat cover and gel pad on it.
That's a nice looking seat!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts