MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having difficulty on a few occasions shifting my 2018 Brutale 800 from 3rd to 4th and also 4th to 5th gear. The bike is brand new with only a few hundred miles on it. I e-mailed the U.S. engineer Brian Gillen at the MV factory but no response. Probably due to liability concerns in the U.S. MV's never really have recalls from the factory but use the term performance upgrades. Any advice out there?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Is this a quick shifter issue? (ie is the quick shifter ON in the menu) and it's not intervening when putting pressure on gear linkage?

Are you pulling in the clutch when changing? Is the clutch activating?

Is throttle open / on when changing?

Details needed to start fault finding

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not using the quick shifting method.
Closing the throttle and pulling in the clutch completely when shifting.
The shift lever on occasions will not shift up to the next gear.

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
Not using the quick shifting method.
Closing the throttle and pulling in the clutch completely when shifting.
The shift lever on occasions will not shift up to the next gear.
Adjust your shift lever down a bit...or change your footwear.

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts
@eperry please add your location on the planet to your profile. Give the bike some time to break in.
Be positive with your up shift (constant pressure on lever until shift completes).
Perhaps, as Chuck has suggested, adjust the shift lever. This can really make a huge difference.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
Wtf?

Having difficulty on a few occasions shifting my 2018 Brutale 800 from 3rd to 4th and also 4th to 5th gear. The bike is brand new with only a few hundred miles on it. I e-mailed the U.S. engineer Brian Gillen at the MV factory but no response. Probably due to liability concerns in the U.S. MV's never really have recalls from the factory but use the term performance upgrades. Any advice out there?
You have a new bike with zip miles on it and AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO SHIFT

So you email the Chief Engineer AND EXPECT A RESPONSE???????
Are you fucking kidding?????
It's a constant mesh mesh transmission and one of the best I know of.......YOU DON'T HAVE TO USETHE CLUTCH!!!!
Except for launch

The problem is YOU or the quick shifter.....disconnect the quick shifter from the lever and ride the bike
Your bike was run in on the dyno........worked then>:)

I was an outside contractor for FMF, people would call and want to know how to jet their MX bike, Donnie or Glenn
would put them on hold and yell "TECHNO SNOW.".....
My cue to get them off the phone.......I'd just ask valid technical questions that they can't answerand they'd hang up>:)>:)

Like "What's the relative air density where you are? I have to have that number for me to help you"....>:)>:)

·
Registered
582 Posts
You have a new bike with zip miles on it and AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO SHIFT

So you email the Chief Engineer AND EXPECT A RESPONSE???????
Are you fucking kidding?????
It's a constant mesh mesh transmission and one of the best I know of.......YOU DON'T HAVE TO USETHE CLUTCH!!!!
Except for launch

The problem is YOU or the quick shifter.....disconnect the quick shifter from the lever and ride the bike
Your bike was run in on the dyno........worked then>:)

I was an outside contractor for FMF, people would call and want to know how to jet their MX bike, Donnie or Glenn
would put them on hold and yell "TECHNO SNOW.".....
My cue to get them off the phone.......I'd just ask valid technical questions that they can't answerand they'd hang up>:)>:)

Like "What's the relative air density where you are? I have to have that number for me to help you"....>:)>:)
If only there was a way to dislike a post! :popcorn:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
If only there was a way to dislike a post! :popcorn:
Except he's right, even if it comes across as blunt or rude.

If you are convinced that it has a serious problem, take it back to the dealer. What do you expect the chief engineer to tell you?

My 2c is that your shift lever is not correctly adjusted. Also, if you have a quick shifter, use it. Very few reasons to use the clutch between 4th and 5th gear.

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
That is why TheKnurl is known as The Forum Curmudgeon. He does not pull punches, nor suffer fools.

His advice is usually spot on....and he's not a millennial.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I completely agree; he is right.

But as a response to help out a fellow member of the forum, especially a new member, the actual tone is very unwelcoming.

He may be "known as the forum Curmudgeon" but OP is new and would not necessarily know that. I personally dont think it's an excuse to speak towards someone in such a way, but that's my opinion.

All I'm saying is we (in general) need to be more welcoming than that. It's a very, very bad look

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
We, in general, are very welcoming.

People need to be less sensitive and more sensible.

When you are dealing with the generation that didn't wean itself on PC and being protected from the real world and failure, you will find that opinions are more direct and harsh and truthful.

Harden up.

·
Registered
505 Posts
All,

I will chime in here. I have a yellow 2018 Brutale Dragster RR 800. Bought the bike new here in Houston, TX from Italian Superbikes. Talking with dealer, he told me he had "sold the yellow bike, but the transmission failed at about 20 miles". Dealer had to go retrieve the yellow stranded bike and owner. Then the dealer swapped out the bike for another one (red).

Dealer called MV USA, they followed up with serial numbers to factory. Factory did some investigation: sure enough, about 10-12 bikes slipped thru quality control, and testing, with a faulty transmission cartridge. Apparently a gear cutting lathe got mis-calibrated, and the 10-12 bikes passed thru, and all failed with about 20 miles use. MV air freighted a new transmission cartridge, my dealer swapped, retitled the bike, and I bought it with full 3 year warranty. I have had zero issues with my Dragster, absolute flawless and near 2000 miles now.

So, yes, it is possible for a bike to have transmission problems. Simple fix: have dealer call in the serial number, and the MV factory can confirm if it is one of the rare problem bikes.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
?

All,

I will chime in here. I have a yellow 2018 Brutale Dragster RR 800. Bought the bike new here in Houston, TX from Italian Superbikes. Talking with dealer, he told me he had "sold the yellow bike, but the transmission failed at about 20 miles". Dealer had to go retrieve the yellow stranded bike and owner. Then the dealer swapped out the bike for another one (red).

Dealer called MV USA, they followed up with serial numbers to factory. Factory did some investigation: sure enough, about 10-12 bikes slipped thru quality control, and testing, with a faulty transmission cartridge. Apparently a gear cutting lathe got mis-calibrated, and the 10-12 bikes passed thru, and all failed with about 20 miles use. MV air freighted a new transmission cartridge, my dealer swapped, retitled the bike, and I bought it with full 3 year warranty. I have had zero issues with my Dragster, absolute flawless and near 2000 miles now.

So, yes, it is possible for a bike to have transmission problems. Simple fix: have dealer call in the serial number, and the MV factory can confirm if it is one of the rare problem bikes.

Hello......
Simpler fix
Did you READ what the OP said????
The shift lever is not returning completely to the zero position so the ratchet can reset.......
The motor was run In on the dyno......it worked then, what changed????
They added the quick shifter linkage......so the problem Is external.......
What did I tell him to do?it
DISCONNECT THE QUICK SHIFTER FROM THE LEVER AND RIDE THE BIKE
Simpler,Yes?

Last week it was Nate,Turbo329.....he added Sato resets......bike wouldn't shift
My advice, remove the Sato linkage and put a stock lever on and ride it
:grin2:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Mudge,

My comment is valid, and a useful in response to OP.

Keep calm and carry on.

bon chance!
Lucydad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts