MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a month into owning my brutale, and about a week in it came up with an exhaust valve error on the dash.

Bit of a funny one really...

Took the bike back to where I bought it from as it was ready for it's first service, and was told they didn't have the correct computer to deal with it...

So they paid for it to be transported to motocorsa in Gillingham (uk) where the experts on all things MV removed the valve cables and fitted a healtech exhaust servo eliminator, as the tech advised as it's a common fault and would be better to bypass it.

The bike comes back and the van driver said they would have given it a test ride to make sure...i check and the odometer hasnt changed at all.

I go for a ride... and the bikes flat as a pancake, with no power... and the error is back on the dash. I pull over and check the valve itself, and discover that the tech has actually wired the valve shut (handle bar metal wire or whatever). These guys are supposed to be the experts but even I figured out which way the valve actuates...

So the errors still on the dash and won't clear as of yet. I pull the USB manual out thinking to look for the battery to reset the codes and guess what... the bloody USB doesn't work..

Some error comes up on the PC and the Mac won't even see the thing...

Is this normal for MV ownership?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
565 Posts
I used the healtech on my F3 800 and the error went away immediately. Can you confirm the servo eliminator is actually on the bike. Seeing that the valve was wired the wrong way shut I put nothing past the dealership.

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
@lostscot: Any dealership that would recommend bastardizing a brand new, in warranty, bike would not get my vote of confidence.

That being said. a little research will show you the number of exhaust valve errors that pop up and the myriad ways to remedy them. I would simply cut the dealer installed wires holding the exhaust valve shut...it should spring return to OPEN.

Now, the next part is a birt tricky: You want to remove main power from the bike. There should be a fuse legend in your USER MANUAL which should have come as a hard copy in the box of stuff that comes along with the bike. THe USB fob is supposed to allow access to web content...but I don't think that is available, yet. Teh 2018 manuals haven't been captured here for distribution yet either...that I am aware of.

Removing main electrical power from the bike for a few minutes will let the ECU reset to base and it will let the dash reset to base. The error should then go away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would simply cut the dealer installed wires holding the exhaust valve shut...it should spring return to OPEN.
Researching the fault i found a lot of similar stories too, so when it first happened i just unhooked the exhaust cables from the valve itself so it did stay open until the bike went to the dealer for a long term fix. Imagine my surprise then when i found out they had wired the valve to stay in it's closed position! Luckily I managed to remove the wires on the roadside with a pair of pliers:)

Removing main electrical power from the bike for a few minutes will let the ECU reset to base and it will let the dash reset to base. The error should then go away.
Roger that - take the fuse out instead of disconnecting the battery - that sounds much easier and smarter :)

The dealer just got back to me 5mins ago with lots of apologies, and want to send the van back out to pick it up just on basic principle to check the whole thing over again. Given it's a 3hr round trip, it makes me feel a little happier now with them!

I was also told that you could go online and check with MV about the service history and which version of the firmware the bike has etc, but unless i'm being stupid i can't seem to find any indication that that exists as an option...

Sorry for all the questions, i know it can be a pain.

Thanks for the info, it's appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
22,357 Posts
You can get ahold of MVA through their FB page and try to get that information. I don't know if anyone has been successful with that approach.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I went through the same story with my 18 B800RR.

I had the same error on my dash and called my dealer, who went into holidays next day. App 4000 km on the bike.

He told me to put on a healtech servo eliminator to get rid of the error.

Fortunately I got one from my former RSV4 - same order #.

Had asked my dealer whether I had to start the engine, rev it or something else.
He told me, that the valve was open when the engine was off.

So I installed the Healtech and went for a ride - bike felt like a 125 cc Moped :grin2:.
At home I put off the exhaust and the the valve was fully CLOSED :cry:.
So I reved the engine to app 7000 rpm and cut it off. Now the valve was fully open.

Could not ride it afterwards as I ran into issues with my knees :(.

During my first test ride with the valve closed the error did not disappear - but Healtech says, it would go away after a view starts.
Will bring it to my dealer to have the valve problem fixed.

On my RSV4 I had never had a problem, worked for over 16000 km flawless.
Same Mikuni Servo, same valve (from what it looks like).
But on the 800RR they installed the valve after the cat and so in big heat, on the RSV4 it was in front of the cat and for sure cooler.

Reactions: lostscot

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
IF you choose to go the healtech route, they make quality stuff!! I have one of their exhaust servo eliminators on my bike.

I would highly recommend them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just did an idiot check to make sure they did install it :) they’ve removed all of the servo motors and cables from the bike instead of leaving them in situ. Not sure if that’s a good thing or bad, but surprised that they didn’t come back in a bag with the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
605 Posts
May be the Healtech servo eliminator does not work on an Euro4 bike as here the servo is checked by CAN bus due to regulations.

Many KTM 1290 Euro 4 owners went through the same problems with errors on the dash as only the cables were stuck a little bit or cable lenght was not correct to 0,1 mm or something...

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
So I'm a month into owning my brutale, and about a week in it came up with an exhaust valve error on the dash.

Bit of a funny one really...

Took the bike back to where I bought it from as it was ready for it's first service, and was told they didn't have the correct computer to deal with it...

So they paid for it to be transported to motocorsa in Gillingham (uk) where the experts on all things MV removed the valve cables and fitted a healtech exhaust servo eliminator, as the tech advised as it's a common fault and would be better to bypass it.

The bike comes back and the van driver said they would have given it a test ride to make sure...i check and the odometer hasnt changed at all.

I go for a ride... and the bikes flat as a pancake, with no power... and the error is back on the dash. I pull over and check the valve itself, and discover that the tech has actually wired the valve shut (handle bar metal wire or whatever). These guys are supposed to be the experts but even I figured out which way the valve actuates...

So the errors still on the dash and won't clear as of yet. I pull the USB manual out thinking to look for the battery to reset the codes and guess what... the bloody USB doesn't work..

Some error comes up on the PC and the Mac won't even see the thing...

Is this normal for MV ownership?

That is disgraceful, who were the original dealer? Surely if they were an MV dealer they would have the equipment. If not why did you buy it from them

For the other dealer to fit a Healtech instead or resolving the problem, is unbelievable.

What was their explanation?

It does make you lose faith in some of the dealers, of which they are few and far between

·
Administrator
19,860 Posts
I would expect them to return the removed parts to you...they have value, and you may want to return your bike to stock some day.

Mis-adjusted cables, or sticking due to dirt/grime/etc, are the primary cause of the exhaust valve fault code.

Old 2006~7 Suzuki GSX-R600/750s had a lot of complaints for the same thing. Very long cables were the cause, and poor routing or normal stretch created the problem. There were no less than 3 service bulletins on how to adjust the cables and still the average tech couldn't figure it out. Suzuki repositioned the actuator and shortened the cables in 2008...no more complaints.

Reactions: lostscot

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would expect them to return the removed parts to you...they have value, and you may want to return your bike to stock some day.

Mis-adjusted cables, or sticking due to dirt/grime/etc, are the primary cause of the exhaust valve fault code.

Old 2006~7 Suzuki GSX-R600/750s had a lot of complaints for the same thing. Very long cables were the cause, and poor routing or normal stretch created the problem. There were no less than 3 service bulletins on how to adjust the cables and still the average tech couldn't figure it out. Suzuki repositioned the actuator and shortened the cables in 2008...no more complaints.
I entirely agree. The first dealer's technician (non MV where i bought the bike from) decided they didn't want to touch it after its first service because of the error code on the dash. The MV main dealer who messed up the healtech install also told me over the phone that the cables should have been adjusted at its first service (easy enough). The whole situation is stupid really.

From my perspective it was 1 week into ownership that the problem occurred and as such I thought let the dealers deal with it as I've just forked over a load of cash...

Ball ache :)

I've asked for the servo motor and cables back when they return the bike... wonder if they are digging them out the bin as I type!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just a little update.

According to the MV dealer they have just discovered that healtech are withdrawing all of their MV products as they can't get them to work properly and have nothing but issues with them...

I've requested that they re install the original motors for the valve that they took off but they were unable to confirm or say no to this at present...

Remember, they were the ones who advised the healtech...

I also asked them to look at the quickshift as it pops out of gear every so often under hard acceleration. Apparently they need to order a new unit but MV are closed right now... as to what the actual issue is I have to wait till tomorrow morning and speak to the technician, rather than the gentleman on the phone to be able to tell me what exactly is wrong.

This is different :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
The Healtech does not work on my 18 Brutale 800RR, too-
It throws an error code :wtf:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Healtech does not work on my 18 Brutale 800RR, too-
It throws an error code :wtf:
Yeah apparently it works on some and not o others, healtech have no idea why so are withdrawing it from all 2018 bruatles and f3s...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, my dealer told me it's because the mapping has changed on the 2018 bike (Euro 4). For the moment there is no solution to delete the error message with the Healtech item.
I'd like to know if some of you have try just to reinstall the original Mikuni but didn't reconnect the iron cable to the exhaust in order to keep the exhaust always open. If yes, did it solve the issue ?
thank you

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Exhaust valve error on my Euro4 Dragster, technician disconnected the cables and wired the valve in the "Open" position, problem resolved.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Cherche. I noticed you said you had knees that were stopping you from riding on.
I to had sore knees but with a little bit of google research I found a simple medicine called Pentosan.(IV fluid injectable) Not sold to English speaking humans but any other language can get it for human use, but the same stuff is used on Horses to regenerate their knee's (Especially the Cartilage)
So you can buy online the Race horse industry Pentosan. That is what I use. Added benefit is that it also gets rid of all forms of Arthritis and Cancer.
Stay Health and keep riding on.
Comfrey cream will regenerate Bones, Ligaments, Tendons and Ligament.

Excuse me for veering slightly off topic.

Reactions: cherche
1 - 20 of 22 Posts