MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it true that the oil can drain off the clutch plates during extended periods of not being used, causing erratic clutch engagement (grab/slip/grab/slip etc) for all but the slowest/gentlest takeoffs with a slight throttle opening??

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
More likely the plates become stuck together. The material of the plates absorbs and holds oil, which is why you are supposed to soak the fiber plates in oil before installation.
Regardless, the clutch should return to normal operation after a brief time.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More likely the plates become stuck together. The material of the plates absorbs and holds oil, which is why you are supposed to soak the fiber plates in oil before installation.
I have been having the erratic takeoff problem since my bike was new, and even when ridden daily for a couple of months, the issue continues to plague the bike.
I was starting to wonder if it may have been related to faulty traction control, until I played this video from another owner with the same symptoms.

The idea of buying a set of the friction plates to swap them over came to me, but this parts website seems to have been setup with corrupt data.
FRIZIONE per MV Agusta TURISMO VELOCE 800 LUSSO 2017 # MV AGUSTA - Catalogo Online di Ricambi Originali

Items 28, 29, 30 & 31 do not seem to align to a proper set of clutch fibre friction plates.

Regards
John

·
Super Moderator
25,951 Posts
Have you taken the clutch apart to see the condition?
There are numerous reports of teh Anti-Judder Spring cutting a groove in the first steel plate.
Reversing the spring and flipping the cut plate resolves this.

Reactions: Teeps

·
Registered
702 Posts
Have you taken the clutch apart to see the condition?
There are numerous reports of teh Anti-Judder Spring cutting a groove in the first steel plate.
Reversing the spring and flipping the cut plate resolves this.
My '16 TV started with the kangaroo clutch as another rider called it, earlier this year. This only happened once per ride in stop-go traffic.
That belville washer in the clutch pack on my bike had done exactly that, cut a groove.
I swapped the direction of it but have not had a chance to test.
Maybe today...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My '16 TV started with the kangaroo clutch as another rider called it, earlier this year. This only happened once per ride in stop-go traffic.
That belville washer in the clutch pack on my bike had done exactly that, cut a groove.
I swapped the direction of it but have not had a chance to test.
Maybe today...
Sounds a bit crude.

Do you know what causes the Anti-Judder Spring to cut a groove in the steel plate?
Are there going to be metal filings/shavings that need to be cleaned out of the engine?

If flipping the plate and reversing the spring is a solution, how long will it last before it requires a new plate and spring?
My bike has always had the issue from new and only done 12,500km.

The bloke in the UK was led to believe that the plates had dried out and just needed to be soaked in oil.

Regards
John

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
Just so you all know, the judder spring cutting a groove in the metal plate it rides on is not a MV specific thing.
This photo is a clutch plate out of a GSX-R600 Suzuki track bike that was exhibiting erratic clutch engagement complaints.... See the groove?
I have seen this kind of wear on many bikes.

Crankset Automotive tire Gear Wood Bicycle part

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just so you all know, the judder spring cutting a groove in the metal plate it rides on is not a MV specific thing.
This photo is a clutch plate out of a GSX-R600 Suzuki track bike that was exhibiting erratic clutch engagement complaints.... See the groove?
I have seen this kind of wear on many bikes.

View attachment 498900
Thanks

Looks like a slight redesign to include a thrust bearing could be considered, to eliminate this issue.

It will be interesting to see if mine has a groove and/or dry plates.
If a groove is present, then I'd like to know how it got there, as the bike speedo only had a few kms on it when it was delivered.

Without yet having seen how the parts align, I'm not sure how "reversing the washer" will work, but time will tell.
Is there a gasket on the clutch housing, that needs to be replaced if I pull it apart?

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
The design is old and used in almost every modern bike. Usually does not cause any concerns, but some clutches and some riders are more sensitive than others. Wear is minimal and has no other affect. It is basically just a light spring to absorb vibration of plates during engagement. You can actually just take it out, and some racers do.
Back in the early 70's some bikes had rubber rings between plates to achieve the same thing.
You reverse the steel plate that has the wear, not a washer. Just gets you a new surface. Swapping any of the steels into that position is the same thing.
Yes, there is a gasket. You may be able to reuse it, or just eliminate it and use a good sealant, which is what many bikes now use from the factory including Honda and Ducati.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Rode the bike 100 miles today.
The kangaroo clutch engagement did not show itself.
I reused the gasket as it came off with the cover. Just cleaned both surfaces with brake cleaner and reinstalled.
If that bellville washer and plain washer can be removed; that's what I'll be doing if the problem resurfaces, if I still have the bike.

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
Removing the "judder" spring will not hurt anything, but it works best for racers who just dump the clutch for a quick start. Feathering the clutch riding around town may reveal the reason it is there !!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Removing the "judder" spring will not hurt anything, but it works best for racers who just dump the clutch for a quick start. Feathering the clutch riding around town may reveal the reason it is there !!
Yes, this all sounds like the reverse of what I've got.

Trying to get a fast launch and dumping the clutch too fast, just results in the engine revs rising and falling while the clutch slips, then grabs, then slips etc, and the bike pig rooting/kangaroo hopping up the road until I pull the clutch back in feed it in very gently and slowly, which makes lane filtering quite dangerous.

Question:
To get a smooth/clean/fast standing start, would it be better if I actually hold the throttle wide open with the engine bouncing off the Rev Limiter??

I have trouble keeping up to 50cc scooters when leaving from a standing start at traffic lights on the MV.

My CBR1000F's and ST1300 can all be launched from Red lights to beat the traffic, but I've only ever dreamt of fast starts on my MV, as they have never been possible.

Once the clutch has been fully engaged and the bike is moving, at probably only 20 to 30 kph, full throttle can be used, and the bike can be ridden hard without any unusual/erratic clutch engagement/operational issues.

The trait that my MV suffers from has never surfaced in any road test reports that I have seen.

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
Yeah...you got something weird going on. Pull the clutch apart and inspect. No special tools needed to inspect plates.
Cable operated ??? Cable routing and/or sticking can cause problems.

·
Registered
134 Posts
TVs have a hydraulic clutch.

On the 2015/2016's there was a service bulletin on the clutch basket and dampers. I'm not sure if SB applied to the 2017 model year, worth checking with your dealer.

I had a few of the juddering events on slight inclines when I first got the bike - I had generally run prior thereto in Touring mode. I experimented with Rain, Touring and Sport mode. Left in Sport mode all the time and the problem has not resurfaced. It could be that I simply got used to how the clutch liked to be treated and the Mode wasn't the issue but it worked for me.

My TV's juddering issue was nothing like yours; it would pogo for a second or two and then cure itself and gone from traffic lights. No issue in off the line performance past the momentary judder.

A thought; you may want to remove the clutch pack and reinstall to make sure everything that is supposed to be there is (washers-spacers), that's nothings loose, clutch springs are Ok and properly seated, see if any of the plates are warped or weird, chamfered edges face the engine and the clutch pack measurement is in spec.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This seems to be the most logical cause of my clutch issue...
Clutch Release

·
Old Wing Nut
25,215 Posts
Wear on the hub splines and basket fingers is not normal for a low mileage bike. Regardless ...time to pull the clutch out and have a look. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah...you got something weird going on. Pull the clutch apart and inspect. No special tools needed to inspect plates.
Cable operated ??? Cable routing and/or sticking can cause problems.
The clutch problem started very early in the life of the bike, while it was still the original factory assembly. Clutch lever is smooth and light to operate.

Disassembly is imminent!!
:cry:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts