MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2017 F3 question.... Will de-cating, but keeping my stock exhaust still result in better sound, performance and running temps?... keeping the stock exhaust, is it a night and day difference in sound? thanks advance! any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
There seem be people suffering broken valves when using a different exhaust.
To me these engines dont like a different exhaust. Not sure if people actually ECU flashed their bikes though.

The big lump at the exhaust is mostly to cancel out volume. So removing that will increase sound.
Which automaticly changes different pressure in engine/valve/exhaust pipe etc..etc..

I'd be careful with it though.

Here is the topic about these problems. Have a look.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/129-maintenance-tech-issues-3-cyl-models/202513-f3-675-800-head-failure-there-hope.html

·
Registered
376 Posts
My engine dropped a valve with stock exhaust.

The valve failures are mostly due to the valve stem guides.

There seem be people suffering broken valves when using a different exhaust.
To me these engines dont like a different exhaust. Not sure if people actually ECU flashed their bikes though.

The big lump at the exhaust is mostly to cancel out volume. So removing that will increase sound.
Which automaticly changes different pressure in engine/valve/exhaust pipe etc..etc..

I'd be careful with it though.

Here is the topic about these problems. Have a look.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/129-maintenance-tech-issues-3-cyl-models/202513-f3-675-800-head-failure-there-hope.html

·
Super Moderator
22,495 Posts
The dropped valve issue is not related to which exhaust a bike has.

Reactions: RCEE

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am thinking of doing the same thing to my bike and may do it this weekend or next unless something else I am looking into pans out.
I am sure it will be a bit louder since just keeping the exhaust valve open gives it a different tone. I do not think it will make a difference with engine temp. These bikes like to run hot and cooling system does the job of keeping the temperature in specs.
Performance wise you should see a small boost if you add a more flowing air filter and map the ECU.
Are you going to do this yourself or have someone in mind to do it for you?

PS...just a friendly reminder. Since you have 2017 F3 call or go to your dealer and ask them about the latest service bulletin for the engine head on your bike. MV has an updated design for the 17 models. Dealer will need to check your VIN if bike needs updated head.

2017 F3 question.... Will de-cating, but keeping my stock exhaust still result in better sound, performance and running temps?... keeping the stock exhaust, is it a night and day difference in sound? thanks advance! any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Well my other option panned out.
You may want to get in touch with https://www.passeriniperformance.com to ask about their headers. It is not listed on website but shoot him an email. I was quoted a crazy ridiculous low price for complete system so I am guessing just the headers will be priced fairly too. Might make it worth it to keep stock headers intact and get something like this.
Pics are prototype.

Attachments

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for sharing that find! Tasty looking headers... Tasty 675 track bike they have for sale, also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
147 Posts
Would be interesting to know if the 2017 euro 4 models come with a additional oxygen sensor due to the euro 4 regulations?, maybe a 2017 bike owner can confirm that?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I am going to cut out the cat and weld in a straight pipe on my 14' 675 and would like to know what I need to do regarding this and its OEM ecu setup. I can put the 02 sensor in and space it out further but is there some other ex-up control system that will sense a fault?

Bike won't be in for another week.

·
Super Moderator
22,495 Posts
@GCBC: If you are removing the exhaust valve, leave the electronics hooked up and there should be no fault seen.

As for remapping your ECU, flow will go up in your system and that will lean it out. I'd find a tuner.

·
Registered
290 Posts
@GCBC: If you are removing the exhaust valve, leave the electronics hooked up and there should be no fault seen.

As for remapping your ECU, flow will go up in your system and that will lean it out. I'd find a tuner.

Im doing research on the microtec race ecu for it now But i want to run for a bit before I do anything to void the warranty first. Here an aftermarket exhaust won't void but an ECU will. So 1000miles should be enough to get my confidence in it after reading about the valves etc.

Im going to make a thread as I've decided to make this new bike my dedicated track/race bike.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I followed this path too. with my F3 800.
I only use it for track so wanted more sound than the stock setup but not to much to get sent of the tracks here in Europe.
A lot of tracks prefer stock exhaust so I wanted to keep that and I like the stock three pipes.

Started with removing the servo for the exhaust valve, adding the Healtech ESE and opening the valve.
More sound/growl at idle and low revs but no change In high rpm's which is plausible.

Then bought stock headers with valve and cat removed.
More sound/noise but stil not a lot; at least not too much to be sent of the track.

Then I started gutting out the box part of the stock muffler and I made a bypass valve in it to be able to switch from noisy to 'quiet'.
Even then it was not very loud compared to other bikes on the track.

The last modification I did was removing the three pipes that stick back in the muffler.
They act like 3 dB-killers; after making these a lot shorter I got a nice sound ...
And flames from the pipes sometimes :)

To handle the modifications fuel wise I hooked up a RapidBike EVO and I use the auto-adaptivity to make sure it is not running to lean.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts