MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about tuning my bike but I'm unsure of what time buy. I want to, first and foremost, get rid of the speed limiter. I want to gain more power and more speed. Any suggestions or advice of what to buy? Thanks, Levi

·
Administrator
20,013 Posts
What do you mean speed limiter??? Engine red line? There is no top speed (road speed) limiter.

Find a dyno guy in your area that can remap your ECU....

The questions are "How fast do you want to go? How much are you willing to spend?"

Reactions: kebo123

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What do you mean speed limiter??? Engine red line? There is no top speed (road speed) limiter.

Find a dyno guy in your area that can remap your ECU....

The questions are "How fast do you want to go? How much are you willing to spend?"
If I did that, would I need to get a separate ECU? Or can they remap the OEM ECU?

·
Registered
523 Posts
How hard is it to use/install/getting maximum performance?
It's a piece of cake. As far as getting "maximum performance" that would all be on the dyno tuner but ECU Studio has plenty of maps based on mods that will get you started.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Us normal humans arent even fast enough to get the maximum out of a stock 800.
So first git gud on the bike and then start upgrading.

Whats the point of boosting power & performance and what have you not and ride slower than a KTM 390 on track which has a good rider on it.

Just my opinion. Its a money pit and a waste for us normal folk.
Unless you only do it for the visual entertainment for yourself.

Only Aliens can extract the maximum out of these bikes and as we all know they're called Marquez/Rea/Rossi/Dovi and many many more.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Us normal humans arent even fast enough to get the maximum out of a stock 800.
So first git gud on the bike and then start upgrading.

Whats the point of boosting power & performance and what have you not and ride slower than a KTM 390 on track which has a good rider on it.

Just my opinion. Its a money pit and a waste for us normal folk.
Unless you only do it for the visual entertainment for yourself.

Only Aliens can extract the maximum out of these bikes and as we all know they're called Marquez/Rea/Rossi/Dovi and many many more.
I actually had a KTM 390 loads of fun with dyno tune. As a money pit, I will agree. This is all for my entertainment and love for this bike. Just want it to be the best it can.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Here is my suggestion and i don't give a fuck about if you can or can't use all the power, as the F3 800 in stock form is kinda pathetic for a 800 IMO when it comes to throttle response and power delivery.

Use EcuStudio, hands down they have a map for what your running and can modify some of the settings based on your recommendation. Ideally you would want a dyno tuner who can use this program (good luck).

Which exhaust are you running?
which air filter are you running?
Have you done anything with the throttle tube/housing itself to shorten the throttle (1/4 turn throttle)?

I thought my F3 800 was a terd until after the full system, air filter and ecu reflash. After the mods, it really needs a bit more work to get it to respond to my liking but it really is a fun supersport bike after you dump another $2000 in it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's a regular Normal Aspirated engine so in case you want more performance you need better breathing and more fuel.

1. These engines run emmission systems an a catalystic convertor and the mappings are compromised in order to meet the regulations and still perform along with some sort of fuel economy.
If you delete the cat and adapt the software to only performance you can not only gain power but also a better responding engine.
So, it's not always the case of having more power but tuning can also provide a better running engine that would also benefit the average rider.
Once more, certain parts on the bike along with the programming are a compromise to meet certain standards and this is not always with the best rider experience in mind.

2. If you were to go a bit further and really modify the lungs of the engine by changing the airfilter, changing the exhaust manifold with a straight pipe and ofcourse a performance exhaust will make a big difference.
Also do not underestimate the weight gains you could have if you were to swap it all with aftermarket kit, especially if you go for titanium.
The weight gain can be serious (percentage wise) and it's always a plus and could result in a more flickable bike.

3. you can go even further by opting for lighter moving parts, lighter wheels, changing gears and even do internal modifications but then it's starts to get very very expensive really quick. Everyone has their own budget and can choose accordingly.

Ofcourse pretty much no one here has the actual skills to ride most bikes to their fullest capabillity but if that fact is golden then we shouldn't be driving these bikes anyway and should settle for a MT-07 or something.

Like with cars, people like to modify them eventhough the performance can not always be used. To each their own and if you don't want to do it then keep it stock.
I am modifying mine, that's for sure.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Dutch,

The best money you can spend for better engine performance is tuning. You listed a number of things you could do, all are good and involve various degrees of cost. If you want to be "faster" and "better" nothing beats track time and training. Improving your MV can create many questions, what to do first, and second, and third...

My advise, make a list of everything you would like to accomplish with your MV. Put a cost against each item on your list. Put the list in order of priority. Figure out what will get funded and when - there you go, you the basis of a plan. Add items as you go, sky is the limit when planning. What gets done is usually a subset of that plan. Reality sucks sometimes.

I think half the fun of owning these things is making them your own. It brings me great joy just looking at bikes in the garage, but it's even better when they are as you like them to be!
Cheers

D23

1 - 13 of 13 Posts