MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys & Gals
I have searched the forums but cannot find how many links for the drive chain for my 2016 Euro 4 (new model) Brutale 800. Also the bike has only covered 1500 miles (2400 km) is it worth changing for a DID ZMVX or similar now?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hi Guys & Gals
I have searched the forums but cannot find how many links for the drive chain for my 2016 Euro 4 (new model) Brutale 800.
Also the bike has only covered 1500 miles (2400 km) is it worth changing for a DID ZMVX or similar now?
You could count the links of the chain that is on the bike...

1500 miles is nothing for the life of a chain, unless it was run in rain and not properly lubricated.
What makes the did zmvx chain better than the OEM chain on your Brutale?

·
Administrator
19,791 Posts
I wouldn't be replacing the chain that soon.....unless there is a good reason.

Reactions: Hubbinator

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You could count the links of the chain that is on the bike...

1500 miles is nothing for the life of a chain, unless it was run in rain and not properly lubricated.
What makes the did zmvx chain better than the OEM chain on your Brutale?
Thanks for nothing Teeps, this is exactly the kind of know it all sarcastic answer that really pisses me off on forums. Of course I could count the links but I am in the middle of moving house and my bike is stored elsewhere.
As to your second point, I have no idea, have you?

·
Super Moderator
22,298 Posts
Well now, based on the lack of information in the OP, the answers from Teeps was expected.
The link count is probably not posted anywhere. If it is, it would be the frame manual.
Factory chains will last tens of thousands of miles if properly maintained.
As for your sensitivity to sarcasm, lighten up Francis and you will find the information you need. We’re i at home with access to my manuals, I would look to see what information is in there.

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,298 Posts
@Hubbinator: I just did what anyone with an internet connection can do: I searched through the available Brutale 800 service manuals for chain link count - results - as expected. Not available.

As Teeps eluded, the chain link count you need is generally dependent on your sprocket set up. Aftermarket chains come with more links than you and you will have to remove those unwanted links.

It will require you, our someone who likes you, to go count the links on a Euro 4 Brutale 800.

I don't have one.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@Hubbinator: I just did what anyone with an internet connection can do: I searched through the available Brutale 800 service manuals for chain link count - results - as expected. Not available.

As Teeps eluded, the chain link count you need is generally dependent on your sprocket set up. Aftermarket chains come with more links than you and you will have to remove those unwanted links.

It will require you, our someone who likes you, to go count the links on a Euro 4 Brutale 800.

I don't have one.
Silent Service, amazingly for poor old England I do have an internet connection and had done what you suggested before I posted. My sprocket set up is as it left the factory.
Once I get my bike to my new house I will count the links. if you read my original post I was only asking because a) I thought that one of you guys might know, b) As I said I had heard that the OEM chains were pretty useless. esq'z me gave me the information on the OEM chain anyway.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well now, based on the lack of information in the OP, the answers from Teeps was expected.
The link count is probably not posted anywhere. If it is, it would be the frame manual.
Factory chains will last tens of thousands of miles if properly maintained.
As for your sensitivity to sarcasm, lighten up Francis and you will find the information you need. We’re i at home with access to my manuals, I would look to see what information is in there.
Who's Francis? I do not need to lighten up, I sold motorcycles for years so I have a pretty thick skin; I just think that forum members who are vastly more experienced with the brand than I am, should either post a helpful reply or not post anything. I always thought that across the pond you did not understand sarcasm so maybe Teeps did not realise how it sounded. Anyway, we will end this discussion now.

·
Super Moderator
22,298 Posts
@Hubbinator: Ol' Blighty has the interweb?:jsm::jsm::jsm:

The Euro 4 bikes are new to the market and folks that do "stuff" to them are rare at the moment. I would have been very surprised to see chain link cout readily available.

Where did you hear the factory supplied chains are rubbish...and why would that be true? (I'm an enquiring mind...):smoking:

·
Registered
565 Posts
What is the OEM chain? I can't read anything on there... was it DID?

OEM useless, take a look at my 2018 Dragster RR chain after less than 1500 miles.

Do not wish for replies saying it was not maintained, for it was lubricated regularly and the bike had never been ridden in the rain

Fast improvement with the RK replacement

·
Super Moderator
22,298 Posts
@ Bruce Taylor: What a cool artsy picture of that chain...seriously. Nice shot.

Apparently there is no surface rust protection there.

·
Administrator
19,791 Posts
Wow, that old chain was ugly....

Funny, my OEM chain is now at about 28K miles and still just fine. I clean it occasionally (rarely) with mineral spirits, and spray BelRay Ultraclean chain lube on it when it looks like it needs a spray (leaves a nice white coating on the surface that I like).

Don't expect to replace it any time soon.

·
Registered
14,481 Posts
Did?

Never seen a DID chain that wasn't marked DID, Made in Japan and have the size and version marked on BOTH sides
News to me the Cripples didn't get the long swing arm until '17
The 4s had them in '10, one is on my '05, the other is going on the Brutale
pictures;
Original chain on my '08 Brutale 910R
Current milage
Chain and sprocket kit and rivet tool for $147.40 delivered
:wink2:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts