MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is my first post as a new member and I would like to share some of the knowledge and experience I have gained owning what I consider to be my best motorcycle yet (and I've owned a good few!).
This is going to be a long, but hopefully, not too sleep provoking read.
This bike has, for me, been a pleasure to own and ride (bought in 2017 and I've ridden 8k miles since then), but has had some annoying faults (don't we all). They have all been pretty easy to address, given a bit of thought. So here we go....

Rear indicators binned (too failure prone). Only MV would mount these on something going up and down like a bees wing in a power shower!
Rizoma Action indicators fitted to a homemade stainless steel bracket below the tail light (with sufficient clearance for panniers). Note, twin resistors in parallel on each indicator required for correct flash rate, as they are much lower wattage than the originals.

Front indicators and tail light drilled to allow water ingress drainage, along with one way vents (a little condensation still occurs after rain, but clears fairly quickly and no more filling up with water!). So far all leds are aok.

Manual fan switch installed, this allows you to keep the coolant temp down in hot weather/slow city traffic, etc. Well worth fitting as MV's are somewhat prone to overheating (other makes as well).

Silicone umbrellas removed from the two way fuel cap breather valve. This allows the fuel tank to vent properly. The upshot of this is no more fuel dripping from the vent pipe to ground and no more annoying whistle from the tank cap (this is due to differential pressure equalisation, in this case vacuum and as the cap vent diameter is, in my opinion, undersized, equalisation takes a fair amount of time. You will also notice no more in/exhaling sound when you open the tank cap. Another benefit is the fuel pump won't have to fight against a partial vacuum holding fuel back. I’m pretty sure these undersized tank cap vents are sized to comply with emissions regulations, rather than sized to the tank volume. Ironic, considering the fuel spillage caused.

Hydraulic clutch switch binned (I was getting clutch sensor error/traction control disengaged in slow moving traffic when hot). Fitted a 1/8in bspp plug in place of it. The switches only purpose is as a safety interlock to prevent starter operation in gear with clutch engaged and to turn the cruise control off (my cc is on the blink anyway, along with the quickshifter, I’m sure the faulty qs is the cause). My main reason for junking the hydraulic switch is to prevent the possibility of fluid leaking through the switch if its insulation breaks down (this does and can happen, leaving you stranded with no clutch).
Yamaha R1/R6 clutch lever switch installed (pattern part, c. £12 on ebay). All TV’s have provision to fit a lever switch (check under the lever and you will see the switch operating lug and threaded mounting hole), I’m sure the early F4 750 switch will fit (£34 from MV), but this would require the corresponding loom plug to connect it. The R1 switch has good old spade connectors (always put a dab of silicone grease on them, same for bullet connectors). The R1 switch body mounting hole needs carefully drilling out to accept the larger diameter (m4 I think) fixing bolt. Simply route two wires from the handlebar switch to the original wires taken off the hydraulic switch, works a treat! (So far, no sensor errors). To test the switch (or the original hydraulic one), put the bike in gear, ignition on and press the starter with the clutch engaged, nothing should happen, then pull the clutch lever (disengage) and the bike should start. If you think your switch is faulty it’s IMPORTANT to be SAFE, put the bike on the centre stand when checking, or test the switch for continuity with a multi meter.

I’ve just ordered a BDS chain wheel adapter kit to cure the ‘sloppy’ MV series two drive (I’m on my second set of cush drive rubbers). Nothing better than a bit of bling that actually solves a problem!

Well, I've got typists cramp now, but I hope the above will be of interest to other TV owners (especially 2015/16 owners) and I'm happy to discuss further if anyone wants more info'.
I'll post some pic's at some point.

Thought for the day...
In life, one should always strive not to accept the s...t that is shovelled your way.

Reactions: Boriss

·
Administrator
20,349 Posts
Welcome to the family @Agolini !! Where in the UK are you located?

Nice write up and many subjects already discussed here, so adding to the knowledge base. Thanks.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hello and welcome from Tasmania. Thanks for making an important contribution, and I look forward to further posts.

·
Registered
529 Posts
You the man AGO....
Great input and if i we're younger would get my hands dirty with that knowledge.
My first mods were aesthetic being
all red screens
hi level no plate holder/rizomas
R&G Rad Oil guards
What a shame u don't live in Sydney....
Welcome aboard to this wonderful club😉
Lettuce know if you wanna Polaroid of the plate holder
Cheers

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to the family @Agolini !! Where in the UK are you located?

Nice write up and many subjects already discussed here, so adding to the knowledge base. Thanks.
Hi @esq'z me,
Thanks for the welcome!
I live in Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex (on the Thames estuary).
Glad you enjoyed the write up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You the man AGO....
Great input and if i we're younger would get my hands dirty with that knowledge.
My first mods were aesthetic being
all red screens
hi level no plate holder/rizomas
R&G Rad Oil guards
What a shame u don't live in Sydney....
Welcome aboard to this wonderful club😉
Lettuce know if you wanna Polaroid of the plate holder
Cheers
Hi Pablotv,
Thanks for the compliment!
With regard to age, I wish I were younger (I'm 68), but you're never too old to get your hands dirty!
And yes, I would be interested to see pic's of your plate holder and also your all red screens (sounds unusual).
As soon as I've installed the BDS sprocket drive I'll post a few pic's myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello and welcome from Tasmania. Thanks for making an important contribution, and I look forward to further posts.
Hi MacStrine,
Thanks for the welcome.
I'll certainly continue to contribute.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hello and welcome! Thanks for the tips & keep up with good work!
Regards from Croatia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
How about that! Nice writeup for your fellow TV owners. Just a word of appreciation regarding your approach to moto improvement and sharing. Good stuff. For visualization's sake maybe include a few key photos of your mods.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hey ago, screens should have read panels...
I was also brought up in Essex (Romford) before my world tour of Dublin 15 years now Sydney 12 years
Anywho see attached, I had the faring vinyl wrapped and purchased the plate holder on flea bay Germany 👍

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How about that! Nice writeup for your fellow TV owners. Just a word of appreciation regarding your approach to moto improvement and sharing. Good stuff. For visualization's sake maybe include a few key photos of your mods.
Hi Edward,
Thanks for that. I will post some pic's after I've fitted the BDS sprocket drive I have on order (arriving tomorrow according to UPS).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome to the forum.Loved the Novel. ;)
Hi mitchy,
Yeah, it was a bit long winded (I'm like that after a vindaloo as well), once I started I couldn't seem to stop.
I could have written the same amount again concerning fuel tank (or any other type of tank) venting. It's not often appreciated just how important venting is (especially after a vindaloo).
I'll do a further post on that and bore everyone s....less.
Btw, I've got one of your hubs on my shopping list for when my one gives up the ghost (hopefully before I do).

Reactions: mitchy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey ago, screens should have read panels...
I was also brought up in Essex (Romford) before my world tour of Dublin 15 years now Sydney 12 years
Anywho see attached, I had the faring vinyl wrapped and purchased the plate holder on flea bay Germany 👍
Hi Pablotv,
Looks really good!
Glad to hear from a fellow Essex boy.
My TV is the silver one and I am thinking of getting the front and possibly rear mudguards done in red. I nearly bought the same plate holder, but decided to retain the original as my wife prefers a dry bum (mm... could have phrased that a bit better). To my mind yours gives a much cleaner look.
Pic's to follow at some point (not the wifes bum though).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello and welcome! Thanks for the tips & keep up with good work!
Regards from Croatia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Your more than welcome Marko G

·
Registered
325 Posts
Welcome! Interested in your fan controller set up as well as the venting for your fuel cap. Pictures and more in depth info would be nice.....in a different section though...so every one stays happy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Welcome! Interested in your fan controller set up as well as the venting for your fuel cap. Pictures and more in depth info would be nice.....in a different section though...so every one stays happy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Hi Figifister,
As a new member I can't post elsewhere yet due to the 3 post rule (2 down, 1 to go), but I'm happy to give you detailed info on the venting with pic's.
As for the fan switch, that was fitted when I had the bike serviced (Krazy Horse, Bury St Edmunds), I supplied the switch, bought on ebay. It's a three wire type that illuminates when switched on, I believe it provides an earth to the fan relay (I stand corrected if I'm wrong). I'll include a pic of that as well.
Please bear with me for a day or two, as I'm pretty busy at home at the moment.
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts