MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike is a 2015 model. No modifications. 3,000 miles on the clock. I'm the second owner. Today on the bike I noticed a slight noise when the bike is in neutral and the clutch is out. The noise goes when you pull the lever back just a little bit. I've not had chance to investigate it yet, I had to get back home early for something else. Has anyone had anything similar? Is it just a case of adjusting the cable or could it be the clutch basket issue?

·
Registered
40 Posts
A little clutch noise is no real problem and it will go away when you pull the lever in, if your bike has not had the clutch basket replaced then be concerned, get on to your dealer / mechanic and get it checked out. When an early type clutch basket goes bad it will ruin
your day

·
Administrator
19,837 Posts
The sound you are describing is common on many bikes, some more noticeable than others. The primary gear lash creates the sound. It changes when you pull the lever because the load on the primary gears has changed.

Other than confirming your bike isn't affected by the clutch basket recall, don't worry about it....

·
Registered
14,500 Posts
?

The sound you are describing is common on many bikes, some more noticeable than others. The primary gear lash creates the sound. It changes when you pull the lever because the load on the primary gears has changed.

Other than confirming your bike isn't affected by the clutch basket recall, don't worry about it....
Wrong, primary gear load is radial, clutch push rod load is axial.....pulling the clutch lever gets rid of the end play

But Ed is right about ignoring it:wink2:

·
Administrator
19,837 Posts
The noise changes because the clutch basket (primary gear) loads changed when the plates engaged or disengaged the transmission shaft, thereby increasing or decreasing gear lash sound.

Sometimes Noel doesn't understand fully what I am talking about and thinks I'm wrong. I am not on this one. It is the primary gears that you hear.

Bikes with straight cut primary gears do this....bikes with helical cut primary gears normally don't. Straight cut gears have less power loss, helical cut gears are quieter. It is a design decision.

Reactions: Kageira
1 - 5 of 5 Posts