MV Agusta Forum banner

2015 Dragster sprocket . . . . set?

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Brutale76 
#1 ·
My rear sprocket needs changing. I have the following questions:

1) Should I change it as a set?

2) Should I change the ratio? What ratio (tooth count) do you recommend? I ride street a lot so I like the front end torque, but stock set up is already a bit torquie and I don't want to be wheelieing at every stop light. .

3) should I get a 520 steel sprockets or something else?

4) On a 1-10 scale with 10 being most dificult, what is the complexity of chaging out the rear or the whole set?

Cheers

#2 ·
Sound like you are relatively new to this so here are the basics.

Do you have the correct tools and stands? That will make the difference between the job being a 1 or a 10.
-Impact wrench (electric or pneumatic)
-Chain breaking tool
-Torque wrench
-Stands - I use footpeg stands with my pegs turned upside down so they dont fold or you could try put your rear padock stand through the other side.

Do you have access to the service book? If not here:

I use an air impact wrench on the front sprocket nut and it comes off quickly. If you do the same, make sure it is in neutral gear as the shocks from the tool can damage your gears. I wouldn't try the front sprocket nut without something like an impact wrench. Maybe some have come right with a breaker bar, but life is too short for me.

I cant speak for gear ratio's as it is subjective. What do you want the bike to do? Faster top speed with a slower acceleration or faster acceleration with a lower top speed? Your stock ratio is probably fine.

Generally you replace sprockets as a set along with a new chain. I would only change a sprocket if the set were relatively new and for track use. I get the impression yours are worn out, change the entire set with chain.

I recommend this Motion Pro chain tool:

Sportsbike track gear have a youtube video how to use it.

If you have an older bike (pre 2017) you will probably also need cush drive rubbers as they dont last long. If you have any play on the rear sprocket it normally is because of this.

If you go 520 pitch, you must change both sprockets and chain to 520 pitch. You cant mix them.

I am running a 520 X-ring chain on my F3 and it has been great. That doesn't mean it will be great for you, especially if you do long trips and dont take care of it. Though generally the 520 on a 675/800 is more than up for it. They use them on 1000cc race bikes without issue.

I use: D.I.D 520 ERV3 Chain

Good luck

#3 ·
Cushdrive rubbers are part number 30 in the pic below. The part number is 8000B2151.Qty 5

I suggest you change them if you are going through the effort of removing the rear sprocket. I would also use the opportunity to grease the rear hub. If you do decide to do that, you will need foot peg stands and a front stand to support the bike while the rear hub is out.

#5 ·
Haha, well rather he be proper informed. It really is a easy 1/10 job if he has the correct tools. If he doesn't, he should rather take it to a dealership.

*edit: I was just thinking about the bike stands, he could probably do this without any bike stand provided that he doesn't need to grease the hub. Think the left side axle nut can come off while the bike is on the side stand.

#6 ·
Just a reminder, if you do all the maintenance suggest here, and you should, the wheel side nut is reverse threaded.

#7 ·
What PTsalas said !!! explained very well.

And silentservice703 means the nut on the right side of the rear wheel is left hand thread...the one on the left side is right hand (normal)....

Welcome to the family !!!! Introduce yourself in the "New Members" section .....

#9 ·
#10 ·
Hello! I am based in USA...So... Here's my 2 cents..
I use Takasago RK 520 chain. Also EK are very good chains.
For front and rear sprockets on sprocketcenter.com Rear ALWAYS in ERGAL "SUPERLITE RS8-R SERIES (#93837R) 520 PITCH ALUMINUM REAR SPROCKET - MV AGUSTA" and front is listed there as well. Reasonably priced and great quality!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.