MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to view a 2014 F4 RR and possibly buy it however the seller told me now that the Electronic Steering damper shows an Error on the dash. Anyone ever seen this before? Is it an easy and cheap fix?

·
Old Wing Nut
22,695 Posts
Probably a bad or broken connector. Look closely at the bike if it is a broken connector.

An aftermarket damper will not have the electrical solenoid to plug into, and the unplugged connector will cause a fault code. A 10 ohm 1/2 amp resistor can be installed on the connector to fool the ECU and turn off the code. (at least on the Japanese bikes I've worked on).

Reactions: Antony Ciano

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Probably a bad or broken connector. Look closely at the bike if it is a broken connector.

An aftermarket damper will not have the electrical solenoid to plug into, and the unplugged connector will cause a fault code. A 10 ohm 1/2 amp resistor can be installed on the connector to fool the ECU and turn off the code. (at least on the Japanese bikes I've worked on).
Thank you, I'll be sure to give the bike's electrical plugs a thorough check. I own an F3 800 that I bought privately and there were some tricky issues but it all turned out to be cheap fixes. This F4 RR has half the milage of the F3 and it's been treated like a baby and apparently this error has been there since day one, so perhaps a wiring issue like on some of the Brutale models.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Does the fault clear if you switch the ignition off and on again?
Clean the plug and socket at the steering damper with contact cleaner and put some di-electric grease on it. The suspension ecu is mounted on top of the left intake tube, there is a body panel above it that needs to be removed for access. Clean the contacts here as well and check the terminals in the plug for any that may be not properly formed (ie larger in diameter) and therefore not give good contact.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the fault clear if you switch the ignition off and on again?
Clean the plug and socket at the steering damper with contact cleaner and put some di-electric grease on it. The suspension ecu is mounted on top of the left intake tube, there is a body panel above it that needs to be removed for access. Clean the contacts here as well and check the terminals in the plug for any that may be not properly formed (ie larger in diameter) and therefore not give good contact.
Thank you. The error does disappears for a while but pops up later again and the orange light stays on. I start with the wiring and plugs as you mentioned. I'll post the inevitable resolution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts