MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My advise: Pose around town on your drop dead gorgeous F4RR... park it for envious looks at your towns "two wheel tuesday's" or "bike night"

Don't tell them your professional race shop's attempt to build it into a track dedicated/race bike failed miserably. Don't tell them nothing works... Keep to yourself that TC wont work with slicks, fueling is horrible midcorner, auto-blip works at low rpm only, throttle is on-off switch. Or Maybe spend 8-10k on two Motec M800 ECU's and start over?

Secretly, buy a (2) S1000RR's or a (2) GSRX-1000RR's or an (2) R1's to race. At the end of the racing season tell your MV sponsor to drop the line...

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
My advise: Pose around town on your drop dead gorgeous F4RR... park it for envious looks at your towns "two wheel tuesday's" or "bike night"

Don't tell them your professional race shop's attempt to build it into a track dedicated/race bike failed miserably. Don't tell them nothing works... Keep to yourself that TC wont work with slicks, fueling is horrible midcorner, auto-blip works at low rpm only, throttle is on-off switch. Or Maybe spend 8-10k on two Motec M800 ECU's and start over?

Secretly, buy a (2) S1000RR's or a (2) GSRX-1000RR's or an (2) R1's to race. At the end of the racing season tell your MV sponsor to drop the line...
Sounds like you had some troubles. :/

It's funny. I was doing a track day on my 2002 F4 and at the start line one of the riders leaned over to me and asked me "Nice bike is as nice as everyone says". In the interest of time I said "yes its wonderful" but neglected to mention it's weight, age and other issues he might run into. Eh. Let him discover the magic for himself. :)

Despite the problems there's a few guys here that are rather successful at racing theirs. If you have not lost the interest there's a lot of information that they would probably gladly share with you.

BTW welcome to the site!

·
Registered
77 Posts
RR issues

Can you elaborate more lol as I have heard only good reports re the RRs

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was looking over a new F4rr last weekend at a local bike meet & I have to say it is the most beautiful motorcycle I have ever seen & I was very envious of its new owner until....
He come over to talk & said the Panigalleee thing he traded in was bad but the fuelling on his new MV was even worse & it was going in to the dealers the following week for a checkover.

It is bloody annoying to hear as the bike is a stunner.

On a similar note my mates 675 has just come back from the dealers after yet another re map & it now cuts power every now & again!! & the gear indicator does not work & the clutch has been replaced & & & &....

The new 800 hitting dealers next month could finish MV off in the UK if it is stuffed with issues as the dealers I have spoke to are getting pis*sed off with customers complaining.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Guess that's why we own the MVs in the first place.. For the history, beauty and character that are unrivaled. I was lucky to own the S1000RR and it was perfect in every sense.. The tech, speed, handling, value for money but it has no soul and I sold it after a year.. I reckon if I'm riding only weekends or once a fortnight I'd rather just ride or own something that would please me most.. And that would be my F4.. If I'm using her as a workhorse, racehorse or daily commute, I'd swap it for the S1000RR or any jap bikes.. Someone in here said once owning the MV is like having a supermodel gf with flatulence.. Ppl look at you enviously without knowing the problems.. I would add that I would rather have a gorgeous gf who's bad in bed rather than one who's average or fugly but clinical.. Just my own thoughts..

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Slydog I empathize with your frustration.My second passion is Unique high performance builds. I also applaud taking the tougher route and going with something different in the MV F4RR. There is no excuse for MV having a lousey clutch but as far as Fuelling/power response, it has become extremely hard to get smooth throttling and proper fueling when literbikes are making 200hp and even more difficult to manage when building a literbike race engine that pushes hp figures up to 220-225hp. Reguardless of the manufacturer its the formost development hurdle. Be it Yamaha,Suzuki, Honda or Kawasaki . Look at BMW , it took them 3yrs to get a handle on correct fuelling/power delivery.
We had a hell of a time getting fueling/power delivery correct on my own Aprilia RSV4 but eventually we squeezed 195/205 RWHP(pump gas/race fuel.
IM NOT TRYING TO BADMOUTH ANYONE IN PARTICULAR. But in the USA being amount of riders/shops is so low(especially if you don't live in Florida or California) and in some areas of USA such as Pennsylvania,Maryland,Delaware and New Jersey you will find a scarce amount of motorcyclist and 8 out
of 10 ride Harleys . Point is , SlyDog if your in the USA finding a competant race engine shop is like finding a needle in a haystack .Athough if you ask they will tell you there shop is full of world class
professionals . The MOTEC units you purchased SHOULD have worked well. The MV F4RR has the same basic engine design as its had for the last decade.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Last again....:-(
Light throttle, shit clutch, bad fuelling mid corner. Same thing every time, from every tester, F3, F4 ...R, RR doesn't matter, always the same....one wonders how far up the tree MV would be if they ever get this part of the equation right...

Such a shame and frustrating
Apparently a few 2013's have been returned for a full refund in the UK, Bikes just stopping with all the dash lights on, there is now a fix for it.
2013 F4 has the same Eldor ecu stuff as the F3.

Read the MCN test in Media section, even the MV manager said they were still learning about FBW, well having the general public do your research is fine by me....................because I don't own one :) and as long as this kind of shit continues i'll stick with my RSV4 :)

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
Apparently a few 2013's have been returned for a full refund in the UK, Bikes just stopping with all the dash lights on, there is now a fix for it.

Read the MCN test in Media section, even the MV manager said they were still learning about FBW, well having the general public do your research is fine by me....................because I don't own one :) and as long as this kind of shit continues i'll stick with my RSV4 :)
It's kind of disappointing really. It's almost like they released the 2013's without doing any kind of track testing at all. I can't see any test riders jumping off the bike with the way it's currently configured and shouting "magnifico" as the head back to their paddock. This really is the last thing that MV needs if they want to increase their volume. :/

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

I've heard of one RR returned in Aus....

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
It's kind of disappointing really. It's almost like they released the 2013's without doing any kind of track testing at all. I can't see any test riders jumping off the bike with the way it's currently configured and shouting "magnifico" as the head back to their paddock. This really is the last thing that MV needs if they want to increase their volume. :/
When you look
At it your not far from it. When the pannigale was released MV all of a sudden brought out the RR with the ride by wire and all the gadgets to match the ducati. The wheels are even the same. Made we winder was it just a knee jerk reaction

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
When you look
At it your not far from it. When the pannigale was released MV all of a sudden brought out the RR with the ride by wire and all the gadgets to match the ducati. The wheels are even the same. Made we winder was it just a knee jerk reaction
Never even thought of the Ducati timing. VERY interesting.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I would have thought more MV guys would have noticed. It was the first thing that came to my mind explains why nothing works or hasnt been fine tuned yet. They just wacked it on and hoped for the best. The wheels are what are killing me the most jeaus there soooo ugly and hideous

·
Registered
179 Posts
I was looking at trading my 2010 f4 for the new RR but i think i'll stick with mine for now... But one thing i dont get is this whole clutch issue.... The new MV's run a similar setup to the my10 dont they? I know these guy's can clearly ride, but really how bad can they be? R they actually used to it? Because i've no trouble in in the world launching mine, in fact i love the way it works. From what i see they try holding big rev's the letting out the clutch? I've found if u slip the clutch from the line as u build the rev's the thing fly's, and u know you've got it right when the front wheel is just slightly leaving the road all the way to 140 :)

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
The wheels are what are killing me the most jeaus there soooo ugly and hideous
Even more disappointing than their appearance is the fact they are manufactured in China. The Chinese are notorious for a process called "quality fade". One has to wonder what the melamine content of the aluminum is by now and when they will start to come apart at high speeds. :/

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Slydog I empathize with your frustration.My second passion is Unique high performance builds. I also applaud taking the tougher route and going with something different in the MV F4RR. There is no excuse for MV having a lousey clutch but as far as Fuelling/power response, it has become extremely hard to get smooth throttling and proper fueling when literbikes are making 200hp and even more difficult to manage when building a literbike race engine that pushes hp figures up to 220-225hp. Reguardless of the manufacturer its the formost development hurdle. Be it Yamaha,Suzuki, Honda or Kawasaki . Look at BMW , it took them 3yrs to get a handle on correct fuelling/power delivery.
We had a hell of a time getting fueling/power delivery correct on my own Aprilia RSV4 but eventually we squeezed 195/205 RWHP(pump gas/race fuel.
IM NOT TRYING TO BADMOUTH ANYONE IN PARTICULAR. But in the USA being amount of riders/shops is so low(especially if you don't live in Florida or California) and in some areas of USA such as Pennsylvania,Maryland,Delaware and New Jersey you will find a scarce amount of motorcyclist and 8 out
of 10 ride Harleys . Point is , SlyDog if your in the USA finding a competant race engine shop is like finding a needle in a haystack .Athough if you ask they will tell you there shop is full of world class
professionals . The MOTEC units you purchased SHOULD have worked well. The MV F4RR has the same basic engine design as its had for the last decade.
Interesting cause I own an Aprilia MY2012...fueling esp with the Race ECU is about perfect. I assume you have a much older RSV4? And also my brother has a 2013 BMW S1000RR and the fueling is spot on on that thing as well. I guess the older year models were plagued with bad fueling...I could see that. But I have a feeling that all this will get sorted as MV gets their ducks in a row what with their Supersport and IOM TT race efforts. But I think they are doing a disservice to themselves by releasing these machines sort of half baked...but let's hope whatever software advances they make, they can backport them like Aprilia did this year. That would pacify the owners suffering from all the niggles.

I would have thought more MV guys would have noticed. It was the first thing that came to my mind explains why nothing works or hasnt been fine tuned yet. They just wacked it on and hoped for the best. The wheels are what are killing me the most jeaus there soooo ugly and hideous

I thought I was the only one who thought about this but looks like I was wrong :) Agreed on all accounts about the timing and the wheels too! Ugh!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I get the feeling that MV test riders believe the "character" that these bikes have is what sets them apart. They need to recruit outside testers to ride these bikes before you slap a $26,000 price tag on a bike and release it to the public and expect them to buy just because it's stunning. If you continue to do this you will soon lose your customer base. MV needs to learn from their mistakes. They have all the makings of the greatest bikes in the world, instead they're being outdone by Kawasaki. It's heartbreaking.

·
Banned
1,512 Posts
I get the feeling that MV test riders believe the "character" that these bikes have is what sets them apart. They need to recruit outside testers to ride these bikes before you slap a $26,000 price tag on a bike and release it to the public and expect them to buy just because it's stunning. If you continue to do this you will soon lose your customer base. MV needs to learn from their mistakes. They have all the makings of the greatest bikes in the world, instead they're being outdone by Kawasaki. It's heartbreaking.
Completely agree. I certainly can appreciate the character these bikes have. But in comparison to other bikes in the market they are more difficult to ride. Perhaps the MV testers have become so used to the bikes that many of these characteristics are invisible to them now. Even with riders familiar with the brand stuff like the really light ride by wire throttle and issues with power in the rev band should have been addressed. You would need some seriously powerful rose tinted glasses to miss those. :)

1 - 20 of 96 Posts