MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Posting up here as I am in a bit of crappy situation.

I had a major service done on on my 2013 F4RR and the dealer MV Parramatta (Sydney, Australia) charged me $1,600 AUD (including parts and labor). I know its an Italian bike etc and was always prepared for that, however the amount to be seems a bit ridiculous.

They have done everything by the service manual (attached).

Now when I originally spoke I thought this was a bit extraordinary so chased up dealers around the country (we have one or two in every state so not many around) and they ranged from $900-$1,250. I then asked my dealer to not change the coolant or the brake fluid (given I had this change before) to make the price more reasonable. Gave my bike in for the service they charged $1k for labour (8hrs) + 600 for parts and this was not even including doing the coolant and brake fluid. There was obviously a breakdown of communication somewhere.

Now I know i stuffed up a bit here but I did not have much of an option of taking it elsewhere. Just wanted to know do you think the attached is fair? What have you been charged previously? What would you do?

To be fair they have serviced me previously and have always done a good job and at reasonable costs but this just seems out of place.

Thoughts?

Thanks

KK

Attachments

·
Registered
5,600 Posts
Considering that the dealer over here charges 500/600 euro it seems much.
On hhe other hand it does vary per dealer. Another one would charge 1200 euro...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know what you’re saying. The issue is we only have two Mv dealers in Sydney and have always taken it to these guys given they are well known and have always been reasonable. I did not have much an option so took the hit but again I thought it included the clutch/brake fluid and coolant change. So I expected the cost to come around $1,200-$1,300.

Given it was not included and still $1,600 I am very disappointed.

·
Registered
14,680 Posts
KK;
Most of the 12,000km service is bullshit.......like drive chain, sprockets and plugs
I'm at 61,000km on the original chain and sprockets and plugs

Post a picture of the invoice so we can see what's going on:wink2:
For sure $1,600 AUD is a ripoff

·
Registered
14,680 Posts
?

KK;
Can you give us a wider angle shot of the complete invoice? We already know the dealer......

Believe it or not MVGUSTA.IT watches this stuff......

There used to be a dealer in OZ called Alto.......and the importer used to be Paul Feeny Group (aka Pin Fuck Group)

They screwed a Forum member Hitcho73........Rob Rossi MVista and I took them on, and they're gone >:)>:)

For what you paid you could have purchased the tools and supplies to do the job, known that it was done right and enjoyed the satisfaction of taking care of your bike.......and had money left over :wink2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Arghhh i keep hitting the wrong button. With back page included. I usually change the oil and do basic maintenance with my brother but given that this was a major service I thought this was best done by an accredited dealer. Any recommendations what to do going forward?

I should have agreed the cost with them prior but again understood I would take a $1,200 hit without the brake/clutch fluid change or coolant. Didnt expect $1,600 without those things.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KK;
Can you give us a wider angle shot of the complete invoice? We already know the dealer......

Believe it or not MVGUSTA.IT watches this stuff......

There used to be a dealer in OZ called Alto.......and the importer used to be Paul Feeny Group (aka Pin Fuck Group)

They screwed a Forum member Hitcho73........Rob Rossi MVista and I took them on, and they're gone >:)>:)

For what you paid you could have purchased the tools and supplies to do the job, known that it was done right and enjoyed the satisfaction of taking care of your bike.......and had money left over :wink2:
I do recall hearing about that dealer when I was growing up and the issues faced by many people previously. These guys replaced them (and the only dealer in Sydney currently as far as I am aware) and have always been reasonable with their servicing but this time its been less than a pleasant experience because of the cost vs other dealers.

What do you recommend going forward Theknurl?

·
Registered
14,680 Posts
?

KK;
In the Forum got to General >Help Map and look for people where you live that are willing to help you .....
There are plenty of owners in the Sydney area.......might cost you some beer :wink2:

Sure beats getting substandard work at inflated prices >:)>:)

Now loosen the pinch bolts on your swing arm and retorque them to 15lbft/20Nm :wink2:

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hi

Were you originally quoted $1600 including brake fluid and coolant change? If these were subsequently excluded then certainly the price should come down. There is probably $50 of coolant and brake fluid involved. If other issues arose during the work that took the cost back up there should be some explanation.

By my calculations the labour rate is $122/hour. I cant say how this compares with other Aus dealerships (no doubt charge out rates in Parramatta need to cover very high rent) but keep in mind better to pay $XX/hour for someone who knows what they doing than a lower rate for someone who is learning and/or will take longer.

Looking at the various components of the work and the time charged:

- service 2.6 hours - includes to remove and replace the fairings, oil and filter change and general check per the schedule)
- valve clearances 2.6 hours - need to remove the tank air box and throttle bodies, which are variable length, to access the valve cover, did they replace any shims? There are none charged. Ask them for the detail of the clearances measured.
- air and fuel filters 1.1 hours - open the tank, replace the filter and reassemble - open the air box, remove filter clean air box and fit new filter
- hub service 1.6 hours - remove wheel and hub - strip hub, clean, inspect, grease, reassemble and refit - if the chain tension had been released then this would need to be reset

Do the hours seem over the top? Probably not from my point of view as an amateur mechanic. There is quite a lot of work in all this and putting everything back as it should be is time consuming. Other's views may vary.

What service work have they done for you previously? Was it the annual/6,000km service on this bike?

As there are $600 of parts involved the other prices you obtained look a bit suspect, what is missing from the $950 price?

If you wanted to manage the cost in future the hub service and fuel and air filter replacement are things you might consider doing yourself. Or even all of it, they are not that difficult to work on.

Helpful- probably not!

Tony (a number of earlier posts were made while this one was WIP)

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Beware doing a phone enquiry for prices of service. Once they have the bike on the stand, then the real cost will be declared.
There is also the other service checks that have been ticked off, they all consume tech time that has to be paid for.

·
Super Moderator
2,643 Posts
I know these guys personally and they take pride in their work and customer satisfaction - most people rate them as one of the best dealers around.

Firstly, go back and have a chat with them about where you feel there's been an imbalance in the value equation -they're not unreasonable guys.

The man-hours stated on the invoice equates to what effort is required to do these tasks.... I cannot speak for the hourly rate, but Sydney's not cheap. The part costs don't feel completely wrong... paying for motul gear is not cheap.

If the bike is under warranty, then I would not hesitate to use the certified dealer to ensure my warranty is not compromised.

If it's outside warranty, then Tony and Happi both make great points, the bulk of the work for the 12k service are easily done by yourself (although imo - valve clearance checks being done ever 12k is overkill).

Lastly, you should have complete confidence in the maintenance status of the bike!

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
It is like most things, I guess; ask how much it will be before the work is done and if they find anything untoward (not originally quoted for), as they are carrying out the work, ask them to telephone you to confirm for the work to be done at the extra cost?

·
Super Moderator
22,851 Posts
In my area of the US, the Motorcycle Mechanic's rates are between $100.00 and $125.00 per hour.

The number of hours a specific service takes is set by the manufacturer and is specified in their maintenance system.

So, say you are doing a valve job. The valve job requires disassembly of the bike down to the valve cover (seat, fuel tank, side panels, etc...), removal of the valve cover, adjustment of the valve and then reassembly. That takes time....let's say for argument's sake that it takes 4 hours. There are no materials involves, so the cost is 4 hours x $100.00 = $400.00 or it could be 4 hours x $125.00 = $500.00 for the same service depending on the service rate.

Now, apply that across the maintenance required and you can begin to see differences in cost between dealerships.

Another variable is how dealership deals with overlapping maintenance. For example: the 12000 km service requires a valve check AND a spark plug swap. The preparation for those two jobs is essentially the same and is built in to the standard maintenance charge. Some dealers will charge the standard rate for the work even though some of the prep has already been done (getting to the top end of the engine) and that increases their profit and the amount you pay.

Those are the questions that must be considered.

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
746 Posts
Considering they've done all the needed points the value might not be that abusive and of course each country has its own coin value. From what I've been reading they seem to be a decent dealer.
Normally what worries me is a dealer that charges you a major service and only changes oil and filters and verifies the chain and with that mileage and a decent verification it won't be that bad even for an F4.
I had several F4 and to be honest when it came to valve check I always skipped the lower mile inspection, for instance my 1078 F4 with more than 40.000 Kms was stil in the needed spec and that's one of the Major interventions.

·
Administrator
20,767 Posts
What is their hourly labor charge??

I wonder how many actual hours the technician spent... but it is normal to pay a flat rate for services regardless of actual time spent.
A good technician can beat flat rate, but you still get the same charge. That's how a good technician makes a decent living. The repair order copy in the shop files should list the "clock in and out" hours for the tech.

There are some overlapping labor operations there, such as valve inspection (there was no adjustment or it would have been MUCH more) and fuel filter/air filter exchange, where the combined charges seem a bit high (like they treated each as a separate unrelated job).

Does seem a bit much, especially since most of the 12k service is simply looking at the part and saying "It's OK".

Next time, do all the work you normally have done (oil and filter, chain service, visual "It's OK inspections) and only ask them to do the bit you are uncomfortable with (valve clearance inspection).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What is their hourly labor charge??

I wonder how many actual hours the technician spent... but it is normal to pay a flat rate for services regardless of actual time spent.
A good technician can beat flat rate, but you still get the same charge. That's how a good technician makes a decent living. The repair order copy in the shop files should list the "clock in and out" hours for the tech.

There are some overlapping labor operations there, such as valve inspection (there was no adjustment or it would have been MUCH more) and fuel filter/air filter exchange, where the combined charges seem a bit high (like they treated each as a separate unrelated job).

Does seem a bit much, especially since most of the 12k service is simply looking at the part and saying "It's OK".

Next time, do all the work you normally have done (oil and filter, chain service, visual "It's OK inspections) and only ask them to do the bit you are uncomfortable with (valve clearance inspection).

Technician said they spent 8 hrs (so $125 per hour).

I took it in given your exact point (valve clearance etc). Fuel filter, oil filter etc I could do myself. However I figured I would have them do everything given the price was expected to be $1,200-$1,300 as my original understanding without the coolant and brake fluids etc.

My issue is that there is such a massive difference between other dealers and this dealer. I got quotes from 4 different dealers and they ranged from $700-$1,250 for the exact same job (Again these are in different states so its not like I could physically take my bike there). However this dealer charged $1,600.00 which is a MASSIVE Difference. I asked the other dealers how much time they all spend (for labor costs) and each one said max 6 hours. The cheaper ones also said they weren't charging per hour of labor but a flat fee.

I will speak to them and ask if they can do any better on the pricing given the misunderstanding of the coolant/brake fluid and the difference between other dealers. Will see what they say.

KK

1 - 20 of 45 Posts