MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I have a major issue going on.
I put my 2013 F4 in for it's 6000k service last week and now it randomly dies as if I have hit the cut off switch. There are no warning lights on and I have to turn the key ignition off and back on before it will restart. This was not happening before the service.
This generally happens when I have stopped at a set of lights but has also happened twice while travelling at about 40 km an hour.
I took it back to the service shop today and they hooked it up and found no fault errors. It is running the latest software update and Mv Agusta says the ignition switch was replaced before the bike ever left the showroom floor.
The service shop are being helpful as it is still under warranty but they are baffled as to the problem. They have booked my bike back in a week and a half from today and they are going to strip the bike down and fix the problem under warranty,
I just thought I would see if anyone here has any ideas as to what is happening with my new pride and joy

Clay

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
If it occurred after they did the service, they should be able to trace their steps and see what they may have changed that wasn't mechanical. If they updated the mapping, then maybe they forgot to do something associated with it. Do they need to reset the TPS after a remap?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excuse my ignorance but what is TPS Reckler?
Apparently the software was already up to date but they RESET some things.....

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
Clay have they taken your bike yet and tried to fix it.No use you stuffing around with it.Get them to fix the issue ,could be software related or hardware .Take Recklers advice above.

cheers eddy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone
I have a major issue going on.
I put my 2013 F4 in for it's 6000k service last week and now it randomly dies as if I have hit the cut off switch. There are no warning lights on and I have to turn the key ignition off and back on before it will restart. This was not happening before the service.
This generally happens when I have stopped at a set of lights but has also happened twice while travelling at about 40 km an hour.
I took it back to the service shop today and they hooked it up and found no fault errors. It is running the latest software update and Mv Agusta says the ignition switch was replaced before the bike ever left the showroom floor.
The service shop are being helpful as it is still under warranty but they are baffled as to the problem. They have booked my bike back in a week and a half from today and they are going to strip the bike down and fix the problem under warranty,
I just thought I would see if anyone here has any ideas as to what is happening with my new pride and joy

Clay
That is curious indeed... I also have an F4RR 2013 and today I hammered it at 312km/h and then suddenly it also switched off while in a long corner... Scary! Now, if I accelerate higher than 10000 rpm the bike switches off and on... AND it gives an additional error (Suspension ECU malfunction).

I suspect the following: Part of the harness of the bike was lying on the motor, causing it to have extreme heat. This in return screwed up some of the electronics, and potentially the ECU.

Now this might sound far fetched, but the F4's runs hot and when serviced they often leave the bike idling for a long period. I will take my bike in tomorrow as well. Agusta is very effective with swop-outs. I will be hesitant stripping the bike down... I will start by looking at replacing some parts - even if it is for testing purposes only. My guess will be, check out that ECU. The ECU is about 1.5 inches from a hot part of the motor. The stuff sometimes break. I even added an additional heat shield to my ECU

It cannot be a loose wire as you are required to switch the bike of and on again. It sounds like it gets an error and crashes the electronics... Any way, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Guys
I appreciate the comments.
I am not working on the bike myself I just thought I would do some research as the bike is not booked in to be fixed for another week yet.

Clay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Clay
My 2014 F4 ABS suffered from the same problem, starting after 4K uneventful miles: random engine dying, restarting without problem only after ignition was turned off and on again. As there was a recall concerning the ignition switch, I thought the installation of a new version of it would cure the problem, but this brought no solution to the problem.
After a 2nd 2014 F4 my dealer sold developed the same problem, a call to the factory had them send us a new gyroscope to replace the unit mounted in the nose fairing.
The faulty unit was tested and had the engine cutting off when some tilt angle was applied, like when the bike is falling on his side, therefore no fault error as this has to be normal in the case of the bike falling on his side...
I hope those infos will help you clear your problem too.

Chris

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Chris
I am just trying to collect as much info as I can before I take it back to the shop. Every bit of info is helpful

Clay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you Chris
I am just trying to collect as much info as I can before I take it back to the shop. Every bit of info is helpful

Clay
It seems the problem can happen on the new "drive by wire" F4's with Eldor electronic system.
It happens that my bike was one of the very first of this type registered, and that apparently no other bike was used so much (12'000 km in one year).
I was doubting that the source of the engine cut off's would be found, and that it could nest somewhere in the depht of the wiring harness or in one of all the connectors, but thankfully not so.
What drove me mad, was that I'm so crasy in this bike, but couldn't accept to drive it in trafic with this problem happening in the most unconvenient and dangerous place.
The next time I visit my dealer, I will ask him about the reference of that part and let you know.

Bye

·
Registered
72 Posts
Guys this can be the Throttle tube or the key switch , they did have a recall on some of the key switches.
Throttle tube you ask for a rivale one , this is the new design and has a stiffer spring its better all around only way to tell is check cable length , rivale cable longer

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Chris
This seams to be a fairly common problem with numerous possible causes.
Once again all info in a help

Cheers

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Handing my bike back to the workshop tomorrow...
Any last minute ideas as to the source of the problem guys?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just dropped my bike off to the workshop, hopefully I will have some good news and information to post tomorrow

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2013 f4 turns off while riding the dealer replaced the electronic part of the switch but the problem is still present. It only has 35 miles half of those miles were put on by me the rest were put on by dealer. In the little time I have used the bike it has turned of 15 times so I took it to them again and a week later they said it was the ecu that was reading erroneous data. they ordered one and will see if the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My dealer spent 8 hours on my bike yesterday trying to find the cause of this problem. He thought he had solved the problem by swapping out the Clutch Switch.
I was quite excited to have my pride and joy back on the road after 2 weeks in the garage.
Was this the solution .....NO, it stalled twice again on the way home.
So back into the shop it goes tomorrow for the third time.
The dealer is being very helpful but it is very frustrating not being able to ride my new bike....

More to come (hopefully good news)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well i called the dealer and should be picking up the bike soon they are waiting for Mv to send them the latest map to program ecu. I will update this thread as soon as i get the bike and test it to see if the ecu was really the problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well sorry to say I have no update at his stage.
My bike has been in the shop for a week now and I have not heard back from the workshop manager as to what the problem is.
I hope they get to the bottom of the problem soon, I haven't been for a good ride in three weeks :(

·
Registered
16 Posts
We'll clay1001 at least you have used your mv, my bike has been at the dealer since I bought it new. It's getting to to point where I might need to call mv directly and telling them to keep the bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free Appguh it. I6?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts