MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was riding the other day and heard a small pop then bike went down to what feels like 2cyl. No CEL or any other noises. I'm hoping it's not a valve issue but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Could it just be coils or plugs (Long shot but I'm hoping)? Bike has 10,900 miles and when I drained oil I have no metal flakes in the oil, looks clean and drain plug did not have any abnormal metal shavings. Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Was riding the other day and heard a small pop then bike went down to what feels like 2cyl. No CEL or any other noises. I'm hoping it's not a valve issue but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Could it just be coils or plugs (Long shot but I'm hoping)? Bike has 10,900 miles and when I drained oil I have no metal flakes in the oil, looks clean and drain plug did not have any abnormal metal shavings. Any help would be much appreciated.
Bad news, I'm 95% certain you have dropped a valve, easiest way to confirm is to take the airbox off look past the butterfly valve and check to see if all inlet valves are intact.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately you are correct. pulled airbox off and metal all over the place. Any good shops in the US that can rebuild these motors or who sell replacement motors with upgraded valves?

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
Where are you located???

Mark at the DucShop builds engines for high end pro race teams. And he is an authorized MV dealer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am located in Cincinnati, Ohio but I am willing to ship out the motor if it's going to the right place. I will try to give them a call or email today. Appreciate your help.

·
Administrator
20,425 Posts
Chad Wells at Commonwealth Motorcycles in Louisville is also an experienced engine builder with a very high regard (he builds Indian FTR engines for top level dirt track racers among others things). He is closer to you.
Also a MV dealer.

Tell him I sent you ... that might be a mistake, but what the heck... :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Commonwealth is no longer an MV Dealer unfortunately. That was the shop I would have taken it to.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ss62 - I second the recommendation of having Mark Sutton rebuild the engine. If you can get Bruce Myers to do it that would be a great choice as well. Both are good as it gets.

If the engine is very damaged, might be a good time to buy a nice used 800 triple engine and upgrade or put in the big bore kit, you probably need pistons with the valve dropped. The head may or may not be salvageable. Depends on how bad it is inside. Could be simple as new seats and valves, some springs and clean up... if you were lucky.

If not it will be somewhat more costly. You could look for a used cylinder head. Salvage places may have one available.

Best of luck, you are now a member of the "one of many" who have experienced the triple's weak link. Commiserations

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the help. I knew it was a possibility when I purchased it 2 years ago. But I refuse to let this bike sit. I have many in my garage and this is by far my favorite. I just need helping getting in touch with the right people to get it back up and going.

As far as the head, I will tear it down this week and see what I'm working with. But I agree with the big bore kit. I was waiting for this motor to finally give up so I could justify going the 800 route.

And thank you for Inducting me to the club. Haha.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Thank you for the help. I knew it was a possibility when I purchased it 2 years ago. But I refuse to let this bike sit. I have many in my garage and this is by far my favorite. I just need helping getting in touch with the right people to get it back up and going.

As far as the head, I will tear it down this week and see what I'm working with. But I agree with the big bore kit. I was waiting for this motor to finally give up so I could justify going the 800 route.

And thank you for Inducting me to the club. Haha.
Its by far my favorite bike also. Let us know what route you will take. A lot of guys here on this forum ready to help you.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will keep you all posted on my plans. But I do plan on getting it running again one way or another. So if anyone has leads on a 800 or 675 longblock laying around please let me know. I know Ebay has a 675 for 3800 right now. That just seems a little much for a used motor with no service records. I will talk to Mark tomorrow and see what my rebuild options are. Depending cost I may do a big bore kit, if the motor is capable.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I will keep you all posted on my plans. But I do plan on getting it running again one way or another. So if anyone has leads on a 800 or 675 longblock laying around please let me know. I know Ebay has a 675 for 3800 right now. That just seems a little much for a used motor with no service records. I will talk to Mark tomorrow and see what my rebuild options are. Depending cost I may do a big bore kit, if the motor is capable.
I wouldn't put a big bore in, there isn't enough room between cylinders. If you struggle to find a F3 engine stick a brutale 800 in you won't be disappointed ive been running one for a year now it runs faultless. Map of brutale 800 and F3 675 engines

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Do you think it would be worthwhile for MV to offer crate motors for owners that suffered catastrophic damage like this? Since they are out of warranty I wouldn't expect it for free, but they could meet us half way and give us a good price that is still worth their while. Perhaps wishful thinking...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Replied to your PM. As noted you here you do have some rebuild options as well. Believe it or not sometimes MV will assist depending on your situation. It's definitely worth an email to MV USA to see what THEY can do. MV is rebuilding their brand image so a hard "no" isn't something I think they really want to do.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
I wouldn't put a big bore in, there isn't enough room between cylinders.
dudman - What evidence do you have of this exactly? How much material is left between 1/2 & 2/3 after the 2mm overbore (79mm -> 81mm)? Have you experience boring and recoating the F3 cylinder block? I'm considering doing the triple big bore kit that Bruce Meyers offers, but if you have first hand experience or knowledge that the cylinders are too close, I want to know more! Because this isn't exactly a large overbore.

I've bored cylinders very thin in the past, so thin we felt compelled to have the cylinders cryo treated after they were bored & plated but not finish honed. So this is news to me and I'd like to know what you know. Thx

D23

·
Registered
571 Posts
I wouldn't put a big bore in, there isn't enough room between cylinders.
dudman - What evidence do you have of this exactly? How much material is left between 1/2 & 2/3 after the 2mm overbore (79mm -> 81mm)? Have you experience boring and recoating the F3 cylinder block? I'm considering doing the triple big bore kit that Bruce Meyers offers, but if you have first hand experience or knowledge that the cylinders are too close, I want to know more! Because this isn't exactly a large overbore.

I've bored cylinders very thin in the past, so thin we felt compelled to have the cylinders cryo treated after they were bored & plated but not finish honed. So this is news to me and I'd like to know what you know. Thx

D23
7mm between cylinders also there is a gap in the casting between them for the water. Your a braver man than me if you give it a go

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
dudman, Can you get to cylinder walls anywhere on the block? I like to know the standard wall thickness! Man you could be saving me some grief here!

I could swear I read something that said the cylinders were siamese style? Were you able to slide something between the cylinders thru the water passage to verify the gap? If it is a 2mm gap then there isn't much material - maybe 2.5mm each wall...

Thx D23

·
Super Moderator
22,668 Posts
...I'm considering doing the triple big bore kit that Bruce Meyers offers...
Um, do you know WHO Bruce Meyers is? Do you know his relationship to the development of the 3 cylinder engine? His history with both Ducati and MV Agusta?

If it has Bruce Meyers' name on it, it has been fully vetted and it will perform.

BCM in Laconia New Hampshire..back in the heyday... and currently Meyers Performance are legendary.

He and his wife do follow this forum.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did email MV USA and they are not going to offer any help since it is out of warranty. Was worth a shot. I would like to rebuild the motor first if possible and practical. But if not I have been looking into maybe a brutale 800 since it's a street bike and not track I dont think I would mind or notice the differences. Just need to find something that's available. Lol.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts