MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Red line 10W60 Synthetic. It meets all the spec requirements of the manual. The dealer here locally said its a good oil. Under the recommendations on the bottle the last bullet point states: "Not for break-in of engines - allow 3000 miles.

Is this safe?

·
Super Moderator
22,108 Posts
Like Dons says, it is ok.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I finally changed my oil yesterday and ended up ordering Agip 4T 10w60 out of http://www.eni.com/en_NA/business-solutions/lubricants/motorbike-dealers-workshops/motorbike-dealers-workshops.shtml, in Pennsylvania. It ended up being about $144 US a case (12L), which is convenient because you won't have to split quarts. Just pour in 3L and it fills perfectly. I drained everything for a good 30 minutes to allow me to reassemble on clean surfaces.

Two things come to mind that were not in the manual, they are:

1. The oil cartridge itself does not just fall out, I couldn't see up in there being the bike was on the rear stand but if you grab the lip of it with a needlenose and apply light pull it will release itself. Installing the new cartridge posed a reverse issue. The lip of it was a bit less than 1 cm below the cartridge housing and a little pressure put it flush to the housing face.

2. The rubber gasket that comes with the filter cartridge is not symetrical. There is a small curve that has to be fitted accordingly to the cartridge cover. Actually quite obvious to see, but I wanted to note it.

The manual stated 5-6K in rpm for the 1st 300 miles and I never went over 4.5K. The next 300 miles I never went over 6.5K and it allowed 8-9K in rpm's. My drain plugs magnet had real fine particles attached to it and a few very small flecks of metal in the bottom of the oil pan when I emptied it. So it all looked good.

The rest was easy to the manual instruction.

Now as for this bike...all I can say is "Amazing" power. I broke it in real easy as stated above. My riding style will never max out this bike. At this point I don't really see myself going above 7K in rpm's. But I am 60 years old and fulfilling a mid-life crisis here :naughty: My main concern is remaining safe.

I want to Thank all of you for your input in my growth on this bike. I am sure I will have many more questions and I will try to apply what I learn from my experience as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts