MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my local MV Agusta dealer told me that the beauty I'd like to have (2018 Brutale RR Graphite/White), this one:

it's exactly the same bike from 2017-16-15-14-13... and that she wouldn't be available until next May/June, I thought it would be a good idea to pick up a 2nd hand and wait until the new Brutale comes out. Words are that it'll come with the same F4RR new engine (please, correct me if you know better). So I've had the chance to ride a 2013, this other beauty:

Unfortunately, a quite cold day and semi wet road test ride doesn't say too much, but I wanted to have it anyway. The seller claims to have barely 8k miles on her, really feels very new, despite being a 2013. I'd appreciate if you see anything out of the line or any wrongs at the pics, or any advice on what to look on her to be sure I'm not making a big mistake.

The ride was absolutely nice, it's a very compact bike, very obedient and steady, powerful brakes, her hilarious howl -oh my...!!-, and quite torky at all ranges. This was my biggest concern, as I'm losing 44Nm from my actual ride (and some ponies as well, but no biggy).

The only thing I didn't really like was (and please forgive my english because is not good enough to make a good explanation of this matter, I lack some vocabulary for this) a kind of whiplash+void of power when going from no throttle, to engaging the throttle -say going in 3rd, putting one down to enter the turn, and it happens when engaging the throttle again). It's like the sound of a valve that opens and closes very rapidly, and sometimes feeling that small void in the throttle. I hope you can recognize this as a brand matter, or as whatever mechanical fault or characteristic... It is ride by wire this one, right? I don't really know what. Please, care to comment on that?

Thanks for reading. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Im actually having a Brutale 1090rr in the back of my mind for a trade in.
Stunning bike, better seat position compared to supersport model. But the headlight is ugly.

If and once u get her, let us know how she rides :D

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts
"Snatchy" throttle pick-up (the lag you describe) is a fairly common complaint among many newer bikes (and not just MVs...even Jap bikes). There may have been map updates that have not been done to this machine which may improve that sensation.

Ask about map updates

.....Otherwise, I have found a sensitive wrist can easily ride around such glitches...and if you keep her running high up in the rev range you never notice. In other words, never dropping below around 8,000 rpm. Of course, hard to do anywhere but a track. And you will lose your license if you ride like that on the street.

The bike looks great! Love the color scheme. Is that the "America" model??

Oh....and the chain looks too tight !!!!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
It is definitely the character of the bike to not like slow speed, low rpm throttle roll on's. e.g. at a give way signed t intersection. I pull the clutch and slip it.
Not a big issue, it is the MV way of telling you it is not a stuck in traffic city bike. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, that's gotta be, it was more noticeable at low revs, that's a fact. I'll ask for a software update and I'll try to push her harder if I take her in, but LOL, how in hell do I ride above 8000 this beast out of a track!!?? I wouldn't be too sure I could do that even on track!! :banghead:

Well, in my defense I must say I come from many years riding big twins, so I'm very much used to ride under 7000rpm. But It's not going to be my first, nor my second 4cyl, so I'll soon get used to it, I hope.

Thank you all very much for the feedback.

BTW, the America Ed. is this one:

·
Super Moderator
22,354 Posts
...at 8000 rpm that bike is just coming on song....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's another beauty, congrats!

Really? In 3rd and 4rd gears? Without using the clutch? Well, I'm pretty familiar with that anyway, my SDK1290R has a strong tendency to point the front wheel to the sky too. You must be very careful with the throttle, pretty torky beast as well.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Bike looks great - I have the same model but from 2015. Had it from new, done 6k miles on it and no issues whatsoever (fingers crossed) Its not an America model, just a red/white/blue colour scheme. Very rare in the Uk just a few bikes in that colour over here and no doubt the same in Spain.

No issue with the throttle like you describe either, mine is super smooth, very sensitive but you get used to that.

It might need a software update from the dealer or just a good service/reset....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice, I have always loved the Super Duke. Since you have the SDR and test rode the Brutale which do you feel is more comfy?

and any other thoughts about the two.
To me, an 181cm tall and 90 some kg. old fart, the ktm is way more comfy, it is amazing how they've managed to do so for such a sporty oriented bike. But more comfy usually means less sporty. The footrests are way lower and not so backwards as on the Brutale, thus it's quite easy to scratch the pegs. The sitting position is quite natural, although the handlebars have a second and more track oriented/forwarded position if you need it. The powerparts seat that I have is also more comfy than the stock of the Brutale I tested. My 2 cents on comfort.

About the rest, the bike doesn't feel like the old ktm's from the past, the powerful engine is robust and doesn't consume any oil within services (like the old ones did...), but it keeps the good things from the past, the bike is very agile, and the punch from the twin with 144Nm is truly overwhelming, not a bike for beginners, although it has good TC as well. To me, the soft spot would be the front suspension, which never gave me total confidence until I replaced the fork cartridges. But if you're not a pro, the bike is good enough for track day fun. Not very roomy if you ride with your butt backwarded, as I like to do. I don't know the mileage a Brutale can do with soft road/track tires on the road, but my rear ones barely last 1000 miles. On the other side, despite the performance, it's not too eager with the gasoline (maybe 6,5-7l/100km.). I got the feeling from my test ride that the Brutale... 10-12l/100km? could that be right?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bike looks great - I have the same model but from 2015. Had it from new, done 6k miles on it and no issues whatsoever (fingers crossed) Its not an America model, just a red/white/blue colour scheme. Very rare in the Uk just a few bikes in that colour over here and no doubt the same in Spain.

No issue with the throttle like you describe either, mine is super smooth, very sensitive but you get used to that.

It might need a software update from the dealer or just a good service/reset....
Good to know, thanks!

Yes, it is quite rare to see one around too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts