MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I was installing a melotti tail tidy on my f4 and tried to test if the plate light would work. Turned the key and I can hear the bikes systems making noises however the dash does not come on no lights work and of course the bike wont start. Already threw the battery charger on there to fully charge still nothing. The closest dealer is 4 hours away really dont wanna take it there please tell me what i did wrong and how to fix it.

·
Formerly - dagmvagusta
423 Posts
Sounds like you blew one of the starter fuses above the battery. It should be a 40amp fuse check that one. Also make sure you didn't splice into the wrong wire.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
14,676 Posts
you wired something wrong......a 40 Amp fuse takes about a dead short to ground with a heavy wire to blow

look at everything you connected to, something will show heat abuse

·
Super Moderator
22,836 Posts
There is also a small diode that can blow...not the same as the one for a reverse polarity situation...that can cause your problem....at least on older F4s. I'd have to dive into the wiring diagram for your bike to see.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok guys I un did the wiring for the plate light, never messed with the blinker wiring (didnt want them) swapped the 40 amp fuse with the spare by the battery and still nothing. I really wish i knew enough about all this diode stuff but unfortunately im an idiot. I really have a feeling its something simple but dont know. Should i try swapping one of those 8 fuses on the gear side with the spares.
FML :bash:

·
Super Moderator
22,836 Posts
Did you remove the battery to do the work?

·
Registered
145 Posts
go to the main fuses on the LEFT side check them you will find the first or second fuse blown this controls the dash try them then disconnect the rear tail light refit new fuse 10amp had same fault with my 2012RR

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Man you guys are f***ing sick. Got it going it was the 1st fuse on the gear side in the fuse box. Real simple. If anyone ever has that problem. Much thanks for yalls help. You saved me about 8 hours drive time. and tail tidy looks sweet

·
Super Moderator
22,836 Posts
I would recommend that you find Donsy's website in the maintenance area and download the manuals for your bike. They include wiring diagrams that help sort this sort of thing out. If you can read a map, you are home free.

Glad it is running.

The reason I asked about the battery is that you can easily install it with the poles reversed. That causes a bit of electrical damage.

(FWIW I wasn't near a place where I could open the manuals...working nights a Nuke Plant can be a drag sometimes.)

·
Banned
676 Posts
From a technical POV; it would be a better design choice for a fuse that could disable an entire bike by failing to be replaced by a breaker. The mains should be on aircraft-style breakers at least, with each subsystem on a fuse or breaker rated to that particular subsystem.

What happened is that while replacing the tail lights he grounded, somehow, a hot lead and took that fuse out. I'd be a wee bit wary that somewhere in that wiring bundle is a bare wire that sometimes comes in contact with a metal bit at ground potential.

CAZ... I'd recommend keeping a spare set of fuses in your kit for a while, just in case this happens again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts