MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search that returned no results for my inquiry on the forum. If this subject has been covered, please point me to the correct thread.....

I have a MWR air filter to install on my 2012 F4RR. The shape is correct (it fits in the well), but I cannot re-install the air box cover. It appears as though the plastic flange that's attached to the cylindrical tube in the air box cover is too long. Is there a mod that I am missing? Do I have the wrong air filter? I'll post pictures if needed.

Thanks in advance for any assistance or advice.

Will

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm just installed one on my 2010...not sure if there are any differences.

Make sure the metal is down and the oiled filter side is up

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you had a look on the MWR website, they often have instruction on there if anything needed modification.
I'm just installed one on my 2010...not sure if there are any differences.

Make sure the metal is down and the oiled filter side is up
Dons and mgivogue,

Thanks for the tips.

Combining the advice from both of you, I think I have it figured out. The illustration on the website appears to show cutting away the mesh screening on the OEM air filter retainer. Is that what you did when you installed your MWR air filter mgivogue?

Will

·
Registered
938 Posts
I saw the plastic tube when I was in my airbox last. I'm still curious as to it's function. It's either a noise emission/resonator or it's there to direct the air equally to the inlets. My best guess is emissions.
Anybody have a better guess?

·
Registered
318 Posts
noise and airflow from what i hear...the MWR HE filter is supposed to reduce the noise 8db and optimise airflow so it is no longer needed :eek:

·
Registered
938 Posts
noise and airflow from what i hear...the MWR HE filter is supposed to reduce the noise 8db and optimise airflow so it is no longer needed :eek:
I want the intake noise increased rather than decreased. I usually design my own high flow filters/intake system, always looking to increase airbox volume.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How about some pics?
I'll post a few pictures when I dig back into this Saturday morning. I am pretty sure I have the advice I need to finish installing this air filter.

I will cut out the plastic air tube and flange and trim the mesh off of the air filter retainer.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I'll post a few pictures when I dig back into this Saturday morning. I am pretty sure I have the advice I need to finish installing this air filter.

I will cut out the plastic air tube and flange and trim the mesh off of the air filter retainer.
Thanks! Pics and details are always appreciated!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Pics too big to post but look 99% same as link I put up (plastic I cut is not as flush as in the link because I'm too lazy to file down nicely). Took a bit longer than I thought because you have to file the screen down or leave pointy parts poking out

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Pics too big to post but look 99% same as link I put up (plastic I cut is not as flush as in the link because I'm too lazy to file down nicely). Took a bit longer than I thought because you have to file the screen down or leave pointy parts poking out
It's not hard to either compress a picture, or to start a photo album in your Galary, you can upload any size picture into that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I had to cut the 2 mounting points on the plastic cylinder in order to remove.
Removing the screen was easy but tedious to get rid of the burrs...I removed the main part with scissors and the burrs with a file

·
Registered
938 Posts
The filter is not upside down? I'd always assumed the metal "deflector" was on the clean side.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts