MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Formerly - dagmvagusta
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So everyone I have this cumbersome problem,

I installed some MV Corse SS headers about 1 year ago and late last year a Bodis Ti Slip on (new model). I hadn't had any trouble when I original brought the 2012 2 years ago, last year when I installed the SS headers or even late last year when I installed the Bodis Slip on. However, over the past 2 months I notice the right side of my lower belly pan burns a little hole from the exhaust headers touching that side. My first thoughts was the exhaust hanger spring covering had burned off so maybe the metal to the heat shield was causing this issue. I quickly replaced the hanger spring (grey bungy) and thought all was good but nope it started burning through again. I have the original factory heat shield still on the belly pan and I also put some silver exhaust heat tape/strips on the area that was being affected. Well went out for another ride and damnt it started burning through the tape and the heat shield liner again. What I am baffled on is the exhaust didn't display this over the past 2 years and I have a hard time believing that the heat displacement would all of sudden expand the headers to cause them to move/heat up in a way that it would burn thru the heat shield liner and tape. My other thought was maybe because the exhaust was touching/sitting on the right lower belly pan was the problem however its always been that way... And I tripled check the placement of the headers, and ti slip-on and all line up correctly. So my question out to the wise and faithful MV community is if I wrap the headers with the hi temp exhaust wrap would this solve my problem? or am I looking in the wrong place and there is something else going on causing this problem to crepe up now?

Thanks everyone in Advance,

Dre

·
Super Moderator
22,111 Posts
Dag, since you had some run time with no issues, it makes me wonder if you have changed anything else lately. Fuel supply, tuning, air filter...anything that would make the bike run leaner and hotter....

·
Formerly - dagmvagusta
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No changes this year accept cosmetic like new rear sets, bar ends etc. when I put the Bodis slipon on I had a custom map built of course but again it's been running that map since that point. It's only burning at the place where the pipe is touching the fairing. Mine has always touched the heat shield in the side even with the stock mv headers. Is that normal?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Super Moderator
22,111 Posts
I would double or triple the heat shield and call it a day.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I think the headers bracket is wrongly installed. Find somebody with the same model bike, and compare it. I'm pretty sure you will find something wrongly installed, even if it doesn't seem like.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Nah that's not it went to mc dealer today and they all match up

Is there a spot where the header is contacting the body pan? I looked at my Bodis today and there is major (salute here) clearance between the whole exhaust and the body parts; no where is the header / up-pipe getting anywhere near to the plastics. ?!? -Davis

·
Formerly - dagmvagusta
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hmm the picture I took of the right side of the exhaust header going into the mid pipe/ Bodis is sitting dead on the fairings. That's what I needed to verify as the dealer of course has all stock on their bikes. Ok then guys looks like I will be taking the Bodis off and reposition it to see if I can get more space. Although kind of strange as this crypt up 10 months after installing the Bodis. Thanks fellas will let you know the outcome

·
Registered
229 Posts
I tried last night to take a picture of my F/S Bodis and I swear it is not touching the plastic; "body pan" anywhere. The picture came out bad / I have a great cell phone but, w/ a poor camera. I'll post up a pick and see if you can tell or not !?! -Davis

Attachments

·
Registered
229 Posts
I tried last night to take a picture of my F/S Bodis and I swear it is not touching the plastic; "body pan" anywhere. The picture came out bad / I have a great cell phone but, w/ a poor camera. I'll post up a pick and see if you can tell or not !?! -Davis
Looks like you can see the junction but, the damn "rear wheel" thingy gets in the way of the photo. .

·
Super Moderator
22,111 Posts

Keep in mind that the metal will grow as temperatures rise. The configuration you see in that picture is not what exists when you are full song.

·
Vendor
5,284 Posts
Mine started to melt the bellypan also,you need to wrap a section of the midpipe and add insulation to the panel.It will protect the master cylinder as well.

Titanium Wrap.jpg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts