MV Agusta Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Well, removed everything and no luck.

Advancing one tooth also makes timing marks to be wrong (but now inlet is lower and exhaust higher.

Looks like my tdc indicator is missalingned, because when on tdc, I have the chain link aligned to the case. So either way it will not align.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

·
Administrator
19,804 Posts
Use an indicator in the spark plug hole and confirm your crank phonic wheel mark is aligned with the case at TDC.
Take the tensioner out and start over with the timing. Chain tight on intake side, intake sprocket mark in line with cylinder head. Count links to exhaust, install tensioner to take up chain slack on exhaust side... all marks should be in proper location. If you find 1/2 tooth off on the intake side go for the retarded (higher) point...this could be due to chain stretch....but it should (if all is in good condition) line up properly.

It took R1andrew and myself several tries to get it right last time I was involved in the process (he was learning).

Reactions: Monti

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Use an indicator in the spark plug hole and confirm your crank phonic wheel mark is aligned with the case at TDC.
Take the tensioner out and start over with the timing. Chain tight on intake side, intake sprocket mark in line with cylinder head. Count links to exhaust, install tensioner to take up chain slack on exhaust side... all marks should be in proper location. If you find 1/2 tooth off on the intake side go for the retarded (higher) point...this could be due to chain stretch....but it should (if all is in good condition) line up properly.

It took R1andrew and myself several tries to get it right last time I was involved in the process (he was learning).
Thank you very much for these. Yes, did it again and there is this 1/2 tooth difference. Actually less than 1/2.

When I place and fix the cams they align very well, but installing tensioner advance the crankshaft a bit.

Guess you are right on chain and sprockets may have wear. Will have to change it in some km but since I’m not 100% sure this engine you be good I will not do it now. If it works I will baby it for the next few thousand kms and then change.

So I left that way and it actually move pretty good. Already closed the engine and fitted the frame.

Updates to come next weekend, hopefully alongside with a video of the engine functioning.

Thank you all again for all the help and support so far!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Guys, it works!!!!!

Just took a few dry runs to check rotation and oil pressure.

Fired just after reconnecting fuel tank. Idle is great, temp rises as normal and fans kick in at correct temperature.

Everything looking good.

BIG BIG THANKS to all you guys that helped me here!

Now this bike is retired from racetrack hard work and I will baby it for the next few thousands kilometers when I plan to recheck valves!

You keep you update here!!! Will try to post a video later

·
Registered
263 Posts
Congratulations! You must feel very good to have done this difficult job on your own. I've been waiting over 2 months for my parts to arrive from Italy so am stalled on my engine repair. I have the repaired cylinder head back and it looks great (thanks to Bruce Meyers) but am waiting for the damaged camshaft to be welded and reground and the parts from Italy. Fortunately, I have other bikes to ride when the weather allows.

Enjoy your repaired MV!

Eric

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Congratulations! You must feel very good to have done this difficult job on your own. I've been waiting over 2 months for my parts to arrive from Italy so am stalled on my engine repair. I have the repaired cylinder head back and it looks great (thanks to Bruce Meyers) but am waiting for the damaged camshaft to be welded and reground and the parts from Italy. Fortunately, I have other bikes to ride when the weather allows.

Enjoy your repaired MV!

Eric
Thank you!

Yes, I’m very glad. Was very anxious to this.

You are going to be ok. Let us know the progress.

Including a pic to celebrate:

61 - 67 of 67 Posts