MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 1090RR in to Commonwealth Motorcycles in Louisville yesterday for a minor service and to begin the process of getting a replacement tank. From the outside, the only real indication that it is swelling were two long, thin cracks in the clearcoat along the creases above the L and R MV logos. Once they pulled it apart, though, they found that it had swollen to the point of being difficult (if not impossible) to remove without damaging it.

:violin:

The dealer did confirm that the tank is covered for 5 years (vs 2 years for the general warranty). They had also been told by MV that there are currently no replacement tanks in stock as they've switched suppliers however I'm not sure if that means that the plastic composition will be any different from the original.

Questions:

• * Anyone who has had their tank replaced recently, how long did it take to get a new one?

• * Does anyone know if the new tanks are still susceptible to swelling or if they've changed the composite (the dealer believes that they haven't changed)

• * Does coating the inside of the tank fully solve the problem or should I still be concerned about swelling on a coated tank?
Thanks for the feedback guys; I'll be happy to share the outcome down the road if anyone is interested.

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts
Good for Commonwealth getting it handled under warranty.

Italy shuts down for August....you'll see nothing from Italy until September.

The composition had better have changed....They certainly can make a plastic tank that won't absorb achohol....

That said, coat the inside of the new tank with KBS coating and stop worrying.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I just had my 2011 tank replaced under warranty. It took about 4 months to get the tank. The new tank is the new composite, or so I'm told.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So are all 2010 models affected. I don't use any ethanol fuel but if I go on a trip to Kansas where ethanol free is hard or impossible to find would this be an issue?

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So are all 2010 models affected. I don't use any ethanol fuel but if I go on a trip to Kansas where ethanol free is hard or impossible to find would this be an issue?
I'd say any bike with a plastic tank is a cause for concern. Google around; it is a very well known and documented issue. My guess is that a bit of ethanol here and there wouldn't hurt as long as it isn't sitting in the bike for an extended period, but part of the problem is that it affects different bikes differently.

·
Administrator
19,858 Posts
It all has to do with the plastic material chosen for the job. My 2008 Brutale 910R has a plastic tank and no concerns. Lots of plastic tanks out there with no problems.....just most of them are not exposed and therefore not a "class A" cosmetic item requiring paint.

I think the good folk at Acerbis (plastics and plastic tank manufacturer for many manufacturers in Europe) made a mistake or didn't test thoroughly.
I could not imagine Ducati, MV et al letting this go on...especially with the ethanol lobby getting international attention.....and Brazil (a growing economy) uses huge amounts of ethanol (from sugar cane?) in their fuels....or so I have heard.

·
Registered
310 Posts
See past thread here: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50705

* Anyone who has had their tank replaced recently, how long did it take to get a new one?
I did last winter under warranty. From filing of claim to receipt of the tank, it took 5 months for my dealer to receive the tank from MV.

* Does anyone know if the new tanks are still susceptible to swelling or if they've changed the composite (the dealer believes that they haven't changed). I have no doubt the new tank would swell. In my case, the replacement tank is probably the same generation as the one it replaces as it is a unique 2010 paint scheme.

* Does coating the inside of the tank fully solve the problem or should I still be concerned about swelling on a coated tank? Had the replacement tank coated with epoxy before the swap. It hasn't budged in 8 months and I am also treating my fuel with K100. MV will replace your tank only once and it retails for US $1,600.00+ if I remember well so i figured it made sense to spend $300 on a protective lining

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey fancypants, I dropped my bike off at Commonwealth yesterday as well. Asked Chad about your scenario. He said you're paying for it to get coated? He also said that MV might pick up the tab for the coating service.

I brought mine in for a dash replacement but he said eventually I'd be needing to bring it in for the tank too... Oh well. Hope you get the replacement in a decent timeframe. Took em just over a month to get me my new dash. And then there's an oil leak to be taken care of.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Hey fancypants, I dropped my bike off at Commonwealth yesterday as well. Asked Chad about your scenario. He said you're paying for it to get coated? He also said that MV might pick up the tab for the coating service.

I brought mine in for a dash replacement but he said eventually I'd be needing to bring it in for the tank too... Oh well. Hope you get the replacement in a decent timeframe. Took em just over a month to get me my new dash. And then there's an oil leak to be taken care of.
Wouldn't he just suggest you get it lined now instead of saying you'll need it replaced shortly? Is it too late for the tank once it's exposed to ethanol?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha small world! Yes I am going to get the new tank coated before swapping it. I had planned on paying for that myself but MV is welcome to foot the bill if they're inclined! I'll mention it to Chad when my tank gets in (not anytime soon I'm sure). My issues are cosmetic so I'm not in any particular hurry.

On a different note, did you see the Panigale with the blown engine in the shop? When I was there it was fully disassembled and pretty cool to see.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
74 Posts
^^^ lol yeah man! That place is a total rich man's candy store! What I would give for some of that action. Im a small shop owner myself so Chad and I spent a little bit chatting up his new F3 build. Some SERIOUS money into that bike with ZERO miles on the ODO. If you live local let me know, my bike shoul be ready in a week or two and I'll be flying down to get it. Maybe grab a beer or lunch!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you live local let me know, my bike shoul be ready in a week or two and I'll be flying down to get it. Maybe grab a beer or lunch!
Would love to but I'm down in Nashville. I'll be back up there when (if) my tank comes in down the road. Probably well into 2014 at this point!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
224 Posts
Believe it or not, my tank just came in, just a little over a month since I brought the bike in. Go MV! Anyone know the answer to pierre.poilane's question above? I probably won't be able to get this replaced again in the event swelling happens.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts