MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There have been some questions about this recently.

A picture is worth a thousand words so I thought to strip apart the rear axle assembly on a 2010 + hub.

It is interesting to note that the outer cover has the splines in it. This is tightened on to the stack and so there is zero lateral movement between this cover ( flange ) and the stack.

The sprocket is bolted to the carrier. It does not move on the rubber cush drives. The sprocket carrier is slid into the cush rubbers and then the assembly is tightened down onto the stack. Just keep in mind that it is the cover splined flange that contacts the spacer face and not the sprocket carrier.

The carrier moves..a little. The last picture helps explain this. The are indicated with the pen is the flange. It stands proud a little of the recess in the carrier which the spacer locates against. This gives a small degree of float. I'll put some measurements in later.

I hope the pictures help ..It helped me to understand it better as when it is all on the bike it is hard to see what is moving and how.

I'll do another breakdown next week of the 2008 312 assembly...

joe

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
In the end i replaced all the 05 rear hub with these 2010 onwards parts. I scrapped the original sprocket holder when i drilled the ground-down nut off.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes we can...

So can you put the 2010 sprocket/carrier/cush drive/cover ie the whole lot onto the pre 2010 axle or do you need the later type axle ?

Cheers
Adam
Yes Adam you can.

but,

It is important to have a pre 2010 Hub on the pre 2010 axle.

You can put a pre 2010 hub on a 2010 axle

The 2010 hub has a needle roller bearing and a single row ball bearing on the wheel side which the -2009 doesn't have. The 2009 - hub has only a double row ball bearing on the wheel side. Because of this the 2010 spindle has a wider machined shoulder to accommodate this wider bearing run.

Just the sprocket side spacer is different between 2010 and 2009- sprocket carriers.

joe

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Thanks, I think I am now more confused than before.
I had a hub fail, wish I had never messed with it in the first place but that is another story.
I think at the same time the cush drive cover / cush rubbers and sprocket plate were also damaged but I didn't notice that.
1200 miles on new hub number 2 and everything on the left side is now totally f****d.
I can try just the rubbers but I have a feeling it will all fail again, there are some strange marks on the carrier surfaces.

So, I can get the left side pre or post 2010.
If I go for post 2010 what do I need to make it all fit the earlier type hub and axle, just the spacer ???

Cheers
Adam

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I think I am now more confused than before.
I had a hub fail, wish I had never messed with it in the first place but that is another story.
I think at the same time the cush drive cover / cush rubbers and sprocket plate were also damaged but I didn't notice that.
1200 miles on new hub number 2 and everything on the left side is now totally f****d.
I can try just the rubbers but I have a feeling it will all fail again, there are some strange marks on the carrier surfaces.

So, I can get the left side pre or post 2010.
If I go for post 2010 what do I need to make it all fit the earlier type hub and axle, just the spacer ???

Cheers
Adam

Pm sent to you Adam...Joe :smoking:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im not understanding why you cant use a 09- axle with a 10 hub, if you can use a 10 axle with a 09 hub what is the difference?? I ordered a 10 hub thinking it was usable with my 07 hardware just to learn that i needed a 10 axle as well.. Deff dont want another failure the first was scary enough. Can someone help me understand why it will not work in this config??

I did read about the diff length of machining but that is just a mating surface.. why would this be so critical in the 09 axle/10hub but not in the 10axle/09hub set up??

·
Registered
395 Posts
Wound up machining a new washer for my aem hub. the size is
50mm inside, 69.5mm outside, 2.5mm thick. Mounted it up and
it works perfectly.

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
Im not understanding why you cant use a 09- axle with a 10 hub, if you can use a 10 axle with a 09 hub what is the difference?? I ordered a 10 hub thinking it was usable with my 07 hardware just to learn that i needed a 10 axle as well.. Deff dont want another failure the first was scary enough. Can someone help me understand why it will not work in this config??

I did read about the diff length of machining but that is just a mating surface.. why would this be so critical in the 09 axle/10hub but not in the 10axle/09hub set up??
The reaon is the machined land on the Y10 is wider so it supports the ball bearing and the needle roller bearing next to it .You must use the later axle with the upgraded hub.The earlier axle will NOT work.As the picture shows.I thought the upgraded hub came with the axle as part of the kit. 100_1117.jpg

·
Vendor
5,330 Posts
Wound up machining a new washer for my aem hub. the size is
50mm inside, 69.5mm outside, 2.5mm thick. Mounted it up and
it works perfectly.
Glad your sorted mate.I thought you may have to get a washer made to speed things up.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for th pic Mitch!! I understand it now. Not enough support for the bearings... I didn't buy a whole '10 upgrade kit I was just trying to piece it together. I apparently missed a good bit of info before I ordered parts. Now on to looking for a ten hub and spacer. Awesome

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
If your running a 2010 sprocket carrier on a 2009 or earlier bike then please check the front / rear sprocket alignment which will be 5mm out and the hub clearance - if you use the early spindle with 2mm spacer you will end up with just 0.1mm clearance !

As far as I can see they are NOT interchangeable !

See post on excessive cush drive wear...

Cheers
Adam

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Guys this thread initially was about fitting a 2010 hub,and carrier on a 2010 axle.

Interesting point on sprocket alignment.

joe

1 - 20 of 20 Posts