MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes its me again :banghead:

2010 F4 has a very random shut off issue... no fualt codes etc... it just shuts off... its only done it twice in a few months but thats twice to often to really trust the bike

when it shuts off i cant tell why.... dash is still on so it has power, but the bike itself losses power, feels like u just backed off the throttle, the throttle still allows the bike to rev slightly for about a second as the power dies and then the bike shuts off

i cant tell wether its spark or fuel.... any idea's ? conditions the first time... i was doing 110 in 6th when it died.. this time.... riding in first after a long ride on the highway the temp came up, 2 bars above the line when the fan normally cuts in which i think it also did the first time.... when the bike dies dash stays on, turn the key off and back on again and it starts and runs fine again... no clue whats going on unless maybe an issue with the shutoff button?

·
Formerly - dagmvagusta
423 Posts
Sounds like mapping, air to fuel ratio... Have you had the map built for your bike or updated if your using the stock Ecu??

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
map is stadard and its only done it twice and its done it with 2 different ecu's so i dont think thats the issue, kickstand switch maybe..... i'll run the bike and then put the stand down and see what happens

·
Registered
652 Posts
map is stadard and its only done it twice and its done it with 2 different ecu's so i dont think thats the issue, kickstand switch maybe..... i'll run the bike and then put the stand down and see what happens

...It'll stop as it should if it's in gear (rear stand it)...

See if a slight jiggle of the side stand or switch makes it play up

Do it after it's been on a run and at operational temperature

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Hard to say at a distance but I'd be looking first at fuel supply.

Tank vent clear ?

Lines and connectors all good

Fuel filter clean..

No water in tank..

Fuel lines inside tank all attached.

Fuel pump relay operating correctly..

When the bike stops does the exhaust smell of unburnt fuel or is it dry ?

anyway thats where I would start and also the manual fault finding flowchart.

joe

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
It looks like Joe´s questions will lead you there. I had problems with the side stand connection once, and doesn´t look at all that´s the problem, because with you the power goes gradually off and still revs slitghtly for a second. If it was the stand it would be on or off, never like the way you explained.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
doesnt smell fuely and everything is new with the new engine, this problem has also only strated since the engine was replaced

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Have you got access to diagnostic software? Maybe check and see if any error codes are stored.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no error codes has been checked a few times, hope to get time to check a few things this weekend.... will pull the emergancy stop button off as the start botton and issues probabaly dirty points so i'll clean that up and see if there is any crap that could be shorting it

·
Registered
62 Posts
There was a factory service bulletin for ignition key switch replacement - the symptoms fit. It only affected 2013 F4-F4R-F4RR, though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
still havent got to the bottom of the problem, but i'm leaning toward crank senser issues..... a couple of times now when starting the bike its hard to turn over like a flat battery, but battery is fine and if u switch the key on and off a few times it'll eventually crank over fine and start. occassionaly when it doesnt want to crank over it'll also show a crank serser fualt on the dash. i will ring MV about this as soon as they open again in the new year and will let every one know how i go

·
Registered
464 Posts
There was a factory service bulletin for ignition key switch replacement - the symptoms fit. It only affected 2013 F4-F4R-F4RR, though.
Hi

Were you able to get a copy of the bulletin? What frame numbers did it apply to?

Thanks.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi

Were you able to get a copy of the bulletin? What frame numbers did it apply to?

Thanks.
Sure - actually, there were at least two of them in 2013, and maybe more earlier:

The first one, February 2013, covered VIN numbers from ..DV003401 up to VIN ..DV003798 included, replacing the contact group of the key switch with part W000W0996;
and the second, November 2013, covered VIN numbers from ....V003401 up to VIN ....V004198 included, replacing the part with W000W1037.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
still havent got to the bottom of the problem, but i'm leaning toward crank senser issues..... a couple of times now when starting the bike its hard to turn over like a flat battery, but battery is fine and if u switch the key on and off a few times it'll eventually crank over fine and start. occassionaly when it doesnt want to crank over it'll also show a crank serser fualt on the dash. i will ring MV about this as soon as they open again in the new year and will let every one know how i go

How do you know "the battery is fine"?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
multiple new battery's, also tested the altinator and tested the battery's.... i've been chasing problems with this bike for the last year, i've tested all the simple stuff, everything right down to the computer has been changed which has at least fixed most of the issues.... this is the last issue which seems the hardest as we cant force the issue its very random

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
Are you letting the bike go completely through the diagnostics check prior to pushing the start push button?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
tilt sensor? I haven't got to the bottom of this, however it has not done it in over 4 months. not sure what was causing it but seems to be gone now

was letting it run through the start procedure as well.. I did remove the kill switch button and clean it up, a little corrosion may have been causing it to short or something

·
Registered
5 Posts
same thing happened to me on my Aprilia and turned out to be the kickstand switch both times.. would be the first thing i would check out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts