MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've got one too, but someday i might be flippin into the haybales, watching my bike sail over my head, so, im not gonna worry about the pimple.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Not a complete disaster yet so it's not worth anyone going into a panic over, but look into it well and start talking to your dealer about it. Although If you are nervous then ship the bike to me for a checkup - I'll put 10,000 miles on it and let you know if there was a problem ;)

Seriously though, some things you can ignore or just put down to bad paint. You don't mess with fuel tanks as they're full of a very reactive substance. One thing I do know, you guys in the US have more ethanol in your fuel than we do across the pond (Although Ethanol's creeping across mainland Europe now too it seems).

Plastic tanks breathe more than metal ones. Could be that some fumes are getting through to the paint, perhaps made worse by the Ethanol fuel.

Ramblings and guesswork over - perhaps someone fancies doing some proper legwork /google'ing on it?

·
Registered
456 Posts
yeah but if the plastic tanks are going to have the problems that the ducatis are currently having with enthanol its only a matter of time. that sucks.

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
I once back in the 70's had the bright idea of using a big plastic syringe to add two stroke oil to the fuel of my RD 250 ( lovely bike ) ...Unfortunately I dropped the syringe into the tank . I agonised over what damage the syringe might do inside the tank for a couple of weeks and then decided finally to take the tank off and invert it to get the nasty object out....You're probably ahead of where I was back then....It had gone..dissolved in the fuel and combusted and spat out the back as a noxious fume !

The moral of the tale is..don't worry:smoking:

ps unless your tank is plastic...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ok, a quick browse around reveals a lot of posts and articles on this.

Clearly a problem with using plastic tanks for the North American market, as Ducati owners have proven. It doesn't have an effect here in Europe as our fuels are different, but in the US the Ethanol content does react with the tank it would seem.

If you're experiencing bubbling paint or any warping of the tank then I'd get straight back to the dealership if I were you. Warantee claims could be a popular part of 2010 F4 ownership (and stock shortages may go hand-in-hand).

Avoiding fuels with higher ethanol contents would help (not sure if you guys have a premium grade with less/none in it?).

Meanwhile, anyone good at making tanks?

·
Registered
456 Posts
to put it lightly, it seems that the ducati monster tanks made of plastic on the older generation tanks are a cluster F*^& and not an isolated incident withe ethanol in USA. its a shame that so many manufacturers are going away from metal tanks.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
FWIW, I know the 848/1098/1198 were having tank swelling issues since they are also a resin tank. I have yet to have any problems on my 1198 after almost 2 years. One thing I have been doing though is manually venting the gas tank by opening the lid every time I walk by her. I am always suprised by how much pressure is released when I do it. I don't know if that has kept me from having any expansion issues, but so far so good. Not sure if the problem is the ethanol, poor venting, or what. I assume the mv tank has similar qualities to the duc.

I hate plastic tanks.....I want to replace mine with the DP aluminum tank that is available now, but $2K for something that I still haven't had an issue with seems unecessary at this time. Still stupid they wouldn't come standard, especially since the dp tank holds more and is lighter. Fuckin $24K for plastic tanks.....

1 - 20 of 35 Posts