MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tracking there are plenty of help on fork work and that's not what I'm posting for. Been working on bikes for over 20 years.

Picked this machine up last fall and have enjoyed getting to know her. Ripped over the Beartooth scenic highway and chief Joseph scenic highway in MT and WY respectively last Thursday (US 212 and WY State route 296, aka Crandall road, between red lodge MT and Cody WY). During the trip and upon getting back to Bozeman I noticed a serious fork oil leak on the left and very minimal on the right. Bike crossed over 4K mile mark during the trip. All told road burn at 477 miles from early afternoon to dusk.

Great ride if any of you cats get out this way...

Anywho, I was uber surprised to see this kind of leakage considering I've owned plenty of rockets and never had fork leaks. That includes a 2000 CBR929RR which I put many 1000's of wheelies on. Those days have mostly sailed and I didn't loft the front end once during this trip.

I'm tempted to find some Showa forks to throw on it as my many CBR's and RC have never leaked.

Curious as to anyone else's experience. All the rest of the bike was glorious to ride and carved the corners lovely. I must say pulling from about 8,500 RPM to limit is bad ass and makes my RC 51 feel slow!

Another thing I noticed was the bike has a very faint surge, a resonance at the very least, while rolling the interstate (hated doing it but through Yellowstone park is hell this time of year with the rubber neck vacationers!)

Curious the responses.

KEEP CALM AND CARVE ON.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
I think I would have started with a Seal-Mate and worked my way up to fork removal.......

·
Old Wing Nut
22,192 Posts
Nothing wrong with the stock fork design and seal life....same basic design of seals and bushings as the Showa you think may be better.
Likely you got some bug guts under the one seal. Like Silentservice said....start with a seal mate.

Unless you have a damaged inner fork tube (scratch, rock chip) or worn out slider bushings the seals should be fine. Amazing how many people replace fork seals on street bikes without ever thinking about why they might leak. Dirt bike riders know....that's where the SealMate started.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dudes! I don't need the how to, thought I made that clear in OP.

Bro I am a dirt rider. That's where I started. I'm tracking how seals wear and get damaged, that is not normal in 4K miles. I've logged over 100,000miles on sportbikes and never had seals leak. The environment is just too clean. As you said, dirtbiking is different but usually that's clowns not cleaning off clay between rides.

I don't give a damn if you say different because it's plain false. The SFF of this bike may be a contributor.

Why does everyone on motorcycle forums assume a cat with a low post count is a fool? Must be some internet rule I'm unaware of.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
It's clear now.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Dudes! I don't need the how to, thought I made that clear in OP.

Bro I am a dirt rider. That's where I started. I'm tracking how seals wear and get damaged, that is not normal in 4K miles. I've logged over 100,000miles on sportbikes and never had seals leak. The environment is just too clean. As you said, dirtbiking is different but usually that's clowns not cleaning off clay between rides.

I don't give a damn if you say different because it's plain false. The SFF of this bike may be a contributor.

Why does everyone on motorcycle forums assume a cat with a low post count is a fool? Must be some internet rule I'm unaware of.

Are you okay mate ? Sound a bit stressed there.
Okay, so your fork seals are leaking, you're comparing your bike to something else in different conditions or models.
Maybe if you explained yourself properly, someone might come along with good info, or service history.
A bit of seance of humour and knowledge of current forum members goes a long way.:smoking:

PS. Don't let Noel and Ed's constant shift fights get to you.

PS2. If your bike does not make your SP2 feel slow, I'd be seriously worried because my 06 F4 flies past them. :)

PS3. I've had to change fork seals on every single road bike I've ever owned.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Are you okay mate ? Sound a bit stressed there.
Okay, so your fork seals are leaking, you're comparing your bike to something else in different conditions or models.
Maybe if you explained yourself properly, someone might come along with good info, or service history.
A bit of seance of humour and knowledge of current forum members goes a long way.:smoking:

PS. Don't let Noel and Ed's constant shift fights get to you.

PS2. If your bike does not make your SP2 feel slow, I'd be seriously worried because my 06 F4 flies past them. :)

PS3. I've had to change fork seals on every single road bike I've ever owned.
All good, correcting silly boys who can't/won't read and assume they know better than me what I did with my own hands yesterday!

Lastly, a post about the exhaust valve on this bike was hijacked by "fresh squeezed" and some other blokes and they pissed and moaned and never answered the original bloody question.

Maybe this forum bit for them makes them feel good to add to their post count and assume they are contributing in some way.

Explanation was in first post.

I'm comparing the same conditions and different suspenders.

Knowledge of current members includes me.

Please read inquiry's before casting down lecturing boys.

We should ride sometime and I wager I'd be right on your ass with my RC.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's clear now.

Good luck.

It was clear in the first sentence. However the joy of making yourself be superior was just to juicy to pass up, eh?

I'm about to deliver a bombshell to ya.

I USED THE DAMN SEAL SAVER!

Exactly why I didn't need your comments on how to dude. I was into the front end for some other work as well. Or maybe you want to come over and do it for me?

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
Evidently, you really don't need my help.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Since you asked about others experience and brought up Showa forks I can say I had one of my CBR forks leak around 10k-11k miles. I did do a little bit of hooligan riding on it and it saw some dirt roads but I didn't think it was anything abnormal.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Since you asked about others experience and brought up Showa forks I can say I had one of my CBR forks leak around 10k-11k miles. I did do a little bit of hooligan riding on it and it saw some dirt roads but I didn't think it was anything abnormal.

It's not unheard of that's for sure.

What I'm curious is is 4K normal for this high priced steed?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
We should ride sometime and I wager I'd be right on your ass with my RC.
color=gray]Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App[/color]
Chill mate, but if you don't feel like it, also cool, Chuck (silentservice) is a rude little punk anyway :conveyer:

I don't have an Ass, made jerky out of the last one we had back in '74 in South West Africa.

Anyway, you seem to be the expert so please enlighten us all, or just do whatever it is you feel you should do to help yourself fell better and bigger. :jerkoff:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Chill mate, but if you don't feel like it, also cool, Chuck (silentservice) is a rude little punk anyway :conveyer:

I don't have an Ass, made jerky out of the last one we had back in '74 in South West Africa.

Anyway, you seem to be the expert so please enlighten us all, or just do whatever it is you feel you should do to help yourself fell better and bigger. :jerkoff:

I don't know who's legit here but I'm not taking any chances based on previous comments to this and others threads. Plenty of attitudes so I figured what the hell, can't beat em so join em and see what happens.

After all, I'm just taking a piss...right?

As far as being an expert leaking forks on a premier Italian sportbike which retails for 18,500 USD seems bat shit crazy to me. That's a week long road burn for me. Forks leaking in a week from new would be a sad thing indeed. Am I crazy here?

Sorry me being fast on my RC offends ya. I thought mixing it up on sportbikes is what we do? Maybe not for some. Probably be fun to ride with ya and shake it out.

I made hamburger of my left leg in 1993, ole femur was poking out and a few other bits. Not as salty as you sir but I'm not the person you think I am. Has no bearing on my riding or mechanical skills.

Lovely weather were having in this hemisphere. How about you?

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts

No, but you're working hard at proving this to be a possibility.
Remember all those other folks who did try and help you with your exhaust valve questions. :jerkoff: Instead of the one's who got sucked into a different agenda.

Weathers shit, but it should be fine by Saturday when I get back on track after having a few vertebra fused together in my neck a month or two ago.

PS. Yes, the Marzocchi's don't always have a great service record on seals, I buy the KTM version.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
No, but you're working hard at proving this to be a possibility.
Remember all those other folks who did try and help you with your exhaust valve questions. :jerkoff: Instead of the one's who got sucked into a different agenda.

Weathers shit, but it should be fine by Saturday when I get back on track after having a few vertebra fused together in my neck a month or two ago.

PS. Yes, the Marzocchi's don't always have a great service record on seals, I buy the KTM version.

I'm cool with that. No reason to impress anyone on here.

Hope the return is swell for ya.

Thanks for a response to what I'm looking for. And your feedback on the exhaust valve. Would be nice if at least someone would understand my frustration in non-value added comments.

If they continue to be an issue I'll change the forks for something else.

·
Old Wing Nut
22,192 Posts
I was trying to be helpful, not knowing you personally. You also don't know me.

My 910R developed a slight fork seal leak once, the day before a track day. I cleaned the seal and did my track day.
12,000 miles later the same seal is still just fine. In my opinion, the seals on my MV forks are as reliable as the seals on any bike I have owned or know of.
Sorry you got a bad one on your bike. There is a case of one fellow who found the seal installed upside down in his fork leg from the factory.!!!
I have seen a couple of cases where the seal spring was dislodged during assembly at the factory resulting in leaks....this on Hondas by the way.
I have also inadvertently cut the lip of a seal while installing the fork tube on a Suzuki GSX-R fork....it leaked. My fault.

Just so you know, wheelies alone do not cause seals to leak. They are designed to sustain high pressures. The new motocross bikes are using air pressure instead of a spring in on one fork....171 psi as standard....Now that's high pressure.

Enjoy your ride and the forum. Sharing knowledge and enthusiasm is the thing here...at least for me.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
I was trying to be helpful, not knowing you personally. You also don't know me.

Just so you know, wheelies alone do not cause seals to leak. They are designed to sustain high pressures. The new motocross bikes are using air pressure instead of a spring in on one fork....171 psi as standard....Now that's high pressure.

Enjoy your ride and the forum. Sharing knowledge and enthusiasm is the thing here...at least for me.

Ed, the guy is a 20 year wrench and an expert rider, of course he knows that.

Speaking of the exhaust valve thread, I was the guy who gave you the routing pictures you asked for, because, apparently a 20 year wrench can't, or probably won't, read the service manual.

As for my fork seal experience, three MVs each with over 6000 miles, three different iterations of the bike...no seal leaks.

Not that you give a f*ck what I have experienced in my 40 some odd years of motorcycle riding and maintenance.

...and that's a Gimme.:shitfan:

(Love ya work, Dons!:yo:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts