MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Weeks ago I removed a bad battery without paying attention to how it was placed. Now that I got my new battery, which has the same placement on + - terminals, I am not sure how to place the battery. See attached picture. The + and - terminals should be the other way around but my old battery is the same as the new one. Does anyone have a picture of theirs? The positive cable would not reach the positive terminal if I turn the battery around.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
First, make sure the battery is a sealed unit suitable for any orientation.
Second, install the battery on its SIDE with the terminals facing the bike's LEFT side and with the positive (+) terminal to the rear...
Third, connect the positive (+) terminal leads.
Fourth, connect the negative (-) terminal leads.

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
It is good you asked BEFORE hooking up your battery.
These bike don't take kindly to reverse polarity!

Welcome to the madhouse!

Chuck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The original battery was definitely not on its side when I removed it which is why this is such a mystery to me. Is the side position you describe the original way the batteries are placed from the manufacturer?

The new battery says it is a sealed led-acid airtight battery but it also says it should be installed in an upright position.

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
Does the new battery have a vent line?
What is the manufacturer of the new battery?

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
IF you bough a Koyo to replace an existing bad Koyo, you are doomed from the start. Hopefully, you bought a quality battery such as a Yuasa.

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
Upright for these batteries means the label instruction up and the terminals on the left while the positive is at the rear.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Chuck! That manual will definitely come in handy.

I guess original battery was on its side I didn't even realize it had those side screw holes. I'm going off to install new battery.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
Could you answer the questions asked earlier,please?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New battery is a Adventure Power. no vent line. If the label is on top that means all my other bikes I have ever had had the battery laying on its side.

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
Thanks for that.

·
Registered
9,958 Posts
If you don't know which lead is which then simply connect an ohmmeter between the terminal of each lead in turn and to ground.

If it reads 1 you are connecting the positive lead. If it reads a low figure close to zero then you are connected to the ground lead.

When connecting the battery connect the ground lead last.

When removing the battery disconnect the ground lead first.

This prevents shorting the battery.

Do a forum search on proactive on the battery

Good that you stopped and asked :)

joe

·
Registered
271 Posts
Had the same issue with my Brutale. The PO had the battery standing up when it should be laying on its side. Check your manual as there is a pic of it and the correct wire routing.

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
Timaneo...how'd you get along with this? (We like to hear the results, too.):smoking:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
silentservice703 - All good! I didn't get a chance to complete it as I had to leave town for work for a week but thanks to you the mystery is solved (I felt really dumb when I realized how its suppose to be!)

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
Better you realize before you reverse pole!

·
Registered
14,685 Posts
?

If you don't know which lead is which then simply connect an ohmmeter between the terminal of each lead in turn and to ground.

If it reads 1 you are connecting the positive lead. If it reads a low figure close to zero then you are connected to the ground lead.

joe
you probably don't want to run 12V through your Ohm meter by going from the positive terminal to ground with both cables connected.......

it's a dead short through the meter

set it on DC Volts and try it again......it will read zero on the negative pole and battery voltage on the positive

:)

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
i tried giving my new battery away but never got any takers , but i suppose saying "free battery no charge " was not a good idea

·
Super Moderator
22,883 Posts
Ba-da-bum.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts